News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What is the optimal solution for governance for the area west of Etobicoke Creek?

• Status Quo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dan416

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear what people in Mississauga and Brampton think about the existing Peel Region arrangement. Peel Region's population is over one million yet it is still a two-tier municipal arrangement. Include Halton Region in your analysis and you have over a million and a half people living in the area.

I've listed a few options I could think of. Not to say it's an exhaustive list, but I think they're the most likely to be chosen. I left an option open for you to choose "Other" and describe in your post your solution to the West of Etobicoke Creek Problem.

Please note I did NOT include the option to merge Peel/Halton with Toronto, as this would require looking at governance for the whole GTA (as it would likely engender merging York & Dufferin with Toronto and I don't want to broaden the discussion that much). That and the 416ers would have a heart attack if that happened ;)

Last edited:
Create a larger regional government, possibly merging Peel and Halton, and break the existing municipalities into more manageable pieces. Mississauga is way too big.

Create a larger regional government, possibly merging Peel and Halton, and break the existing municipalities into more manageable pieces. Mississauga is way too big.

Let me guess: you were against the amalgamation of Toronto?

BTW, Mississauga has been a city for over 30 years now. It's a little late to bring back Streetsville and Port Credit as separate entities.

Even pre-amalgamation Scarbrough was not that much smaller than Mississauga. And there are plenty of cities out there now larger than Mississauga...

And besides, Brampton's catching up to Mississauga now, population-wise...

Please note I did NOT include the option to merge Peel/Halton with Toronto, as this would require looking at governance for the whole GTA

Merging into a new Metro Toronto is the only option I'd be interested in, though one that isn't necessarily inclusive of the whole GTA. We'll never get away from petty parochialism otherwise and it would be nice for political reality to finally resemble urban reality.

Most of Brampton's population is east of Etobicoke Creek! As is Malton.

I'd be up for some selective boundary changes. I don't think Malton is well-served by Mississauga. But to break up most of Mississauga now would be madness - that should have ben thought through by 1974.

I would support separating the more urban parts of Peel and Halton from the rural north and integrating them into one RM, while merging the rural parts either into their own RM/couty or into the surrounding counties. At the same time, I would want to see the former Nassagaweya Township in Milton gain independence and included in the rural area. I would support the same thing for York and Durham Regions. The Regional Municipality of South Peel-Halton or something along those lines, perhaps with an amalgamated transit agency. It's too bad the RM of Hamilton-Wentworth doesn't exist anymore, or I'd propose merging Burlington into it.

I also think it's time for Oakville to recognize that when you're starting to reach 200,000 people, you are no longer a town, but a city.

City of Toronto, Peel Region, York Region, and Durham Regions should all be one region. Current cities and towns should stay as is for now.

^ I second something like this somewhat. Increasingly most of the GTA is facing similar issues. Why not create a super-regional authority and replace the regional municipalities? A GTHA regional council would handle things like transport, police, education, etc. The megacity could be broken up again. The smaller city councils would largely be responsible for very local issues....bylaws, development issues, etc.

All I know is that amalgamating Mississauga and Brampton with Toronto would be a disaster. Let them develop on their own.

Mississauga needs to separate. Peel Region doesn't take care of Mississauga, and I'd rather see Mississauga survive on it's own.
A lot of Peel Region services are so far from the City Centre in Mississauga, that even taking a bus to get to those services takes forever.

A lot of Peel Region services are so far from the City Centre in Mississauga, that even taking a bus to get to those services takes forever.

To be honest, aren't all regions--to say nothing of the counties which such regions emerged from, and which still exist elsewhere--in the same boat? Just like a lot of York services are concentrated in Newmarket, and Durham in Whitby, and Halton in Oakville. Getting to *any* of those from certain nodes can take forever--and if you think getting there from Mississauga is bad, imagine getting there from Palgrave or Mono Mills.

You might as well abolish and de-amalgamate existing counties, regions, etc altogether on behalf of some kind of ultra-localism...

To be honest, aren't all regions--to say nothing of the counties which such regions emerged from, and which still exist elsewhere--in the same boat? Just like a lot of York services are concentrated in Newmarket, and Durham in Whitby, and Halton in Oakville. Getting to *any* of those from certain nodes can take forever--and if you think getting there from Mississauga is bad, imagine getting there from Palgrave or Mono Mills.

You might as well abolish and de-amalgamate existing counties, regions, etc altogether on behalf of some kind of ultra-localism...

For example. Ontario Works for Mississauga requires you to go all of the way to Meadowvale. People who live in Clarkson or Port Credit or Lakeside have to go all the way there for services. Now you can't compare Mono Mills or Palgrave, because they are tiny communities which do not have near the amount of people that live in communities in Mississauga have.

For example. Ontario Works for Mississauga requires you to go all of the way to Meadowvale. People who live in Clarkson or Port Credit or Lakeside have to go all the way there for services. Now you can't compare Mono Mills or Palgrave, because they are tiny communities which do not have near the amount of people that live in communities in Mississauga have.

Ah, but there's the rub...Meadowvale is in Mississauga. Therefore it may not just be a matter of breaking up Peel Region, but breaking up Mississauga itself while you're at it....

Back