News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What Should The New Eglinton/Scarborough LRT/Metro Be Called?

• Eglinton Crosstown LRT

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Eglinton Metro

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Midtown LRT

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Midtown Metro

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Crosstown LRT

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Crosstown Metro

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Etobicoke-Eglinton-Scarborough LRT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Etobicoke-Eglinton-Scarborough Metro

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 18 19.4%

• Total voters

gweed123

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Hamilton
In light of the recent announcement to create a continuous line from Jane to Scarborough Town Centre (or even passed there, it's unclear if the SLRT extension is part of this proposal as well), I think it's time for a naming poll.

EDIT: I have made the poll so that you can select multiple options, in case there are a couple that you're really torn between.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of linking Eglinton and the SRT so I boycott this poll. Eglinton should just stay on Eglinton. That's my view.

At the same time, they should rename the Yonge-University-Spadina Subway to the Yonge-University HRT, and the Bloor-Danforth Subway to the Bloor-Danforth HRT. Subway means underground, portions of the current subway are actually above ground.

At the same time, they should rename the Yonge-University-Spadina Subway to the Yonge-University HRT, and the Bloor-Danforth Subway to the Bloor-Danforth HRT. Subway means underground, portions of the current subway are actually above ground.

I think to Torontonians "subway" implies more the technology than it does whether or not its actually underground. By calling it a "metro", you're acknowledging that it does operate underground, but that it's different from the existing system.

I think it should simply be called the "Eglinton Line". No need to mess riders' brains up with fine distinctions between "metro", "light metro", subway", light rail", "heavy rail", etc, etc. From their viewpoint, they just get on and ride, changing as needed.

The "Eglinton Line" is probably what it will be called anyway. The name should be independent of the technology used to implement it. it'll probably end up commonly referred to in the same way as the "Bloor-Danforth line"

Scarborough-Eglinton Crosstown.

Eglinton RT.

A side point, is this Eglinton LRT going to be drawn on subway maps? Since its a fully underground, grade separated transit corridor, I think it should.
But since it is after all an LRT, the traditions of not drawing LRT lines on subway maps in Toronto suggest it wouldn't.

It will obviously be on the subway map! Scarborough RT isn't a subway but its suggested as one...

Eglinton Line is my vote.

Back