39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
I'm confused about the real population of the City of Metro Toronto. I'm not talking about the GTA, I'm talking about just Metro Toronto. Since I was 7 year old kid driving in to the Metro Toronto I've always seen the population say 2.5 million. Today 30 years later I see that new signs have been put up still saying 2.5 million. Has Metro Toronto not grown in population at all in 30 years?! I can't believe Metro Toronto isn't any bigger? Go on Wikipedia and it says 2.5 million. Am I missing something?

Between 2001 and 2006 the population of Toronto only grew 20,000. The 2011 numbers will not be released until February.

I'm confused about the real population of the City of Metro Toronto. I'm not talking about the GTA, I'm talking about just Metro Toronto. Since I was 7 year old kid driving in to the Metro Toronto I've always seen the population say 2.5 million. Today 30 years later I see that new signs have been put up still saying 2.5 million. Has Metro Toronto not grown in population at all in 30 years?! I can't believe Metro Toronto isn't any bigger? Go on Wikipedia and it says 2.5 million. Am I missing something?

The current signs reflect the census of 2006. Before that, the signs were showing 2.4 million. 30 years ago they would have shown 2.1 million. They reflected the previous census results. The current census taken in 2011 will be published by February of 2012, and the signs will be updated when they need to be replaced or repaired.

(Unless they follow Rob Ford orders and we get a 10% reduction in population.)

Interesting. I wonder why Toronto isn't growing that much relatively speaking?
Primarily because of a lack of developable greenfield land. Also because family sizes continue to shrink, as they have done for the last half-century or so, so even with the same number of residences as previously, you'd expect a smaller population.

From the various estimates I've seen though, Toronto will grow more from 2006 to 2011 than from 2001 to 2006, with all the redevelopment we've seen.

Maybe it's time to increase density throughout the city. A few years ago they passed a bylaw allowing accessory suites (basement apartments) in houses city wide. Maybe the city should allow 3 units per property now (with limited exceptions).

If, with all this development we are not really increasing the population of the city while the suburbs are rapidly expanding, more money should be spent on getting people in and out of the city rather than getting around it.

Very recently while scanning the radio I overheard a talk show host mention that Toronto's population is now 2.8 million. I guess we'll find out next month for sure.

Since the population is growing slowly I don't understand all this talk about the population of Toronto will be growing to such an extend and we need to provide all this housing (read tall condos) for people to live in. Just an excuse to justify these tall condos which are really for investors and justifies the developers making them small in size. Not only that but then we have all these baby boomers retiring, aging and when they die there will be all these houses available causing people (families and couple waiting to have children) leaving condos and then all these condos. Guess then immigration will need to be increased further to fill these condos.

Last edited:
If Toronto's population hasn't really grown much, then the increase in traffic congestion must be more and more people commuting in. For instance the parking lot that is the Spadina on ramp (which extends from Queen Street to the Gardiner every afternoon after 3:30PM) are all commuters. If there wasn't an on ramp there, that road would be nearly empty. Huh. Maybe we should charge a congestion tax for people coming in like London. It's not the people here that are making this city congested. It's the people coming in from the 'burbs.

In 2001, the population of Mississauga was 612,925. In 2006, it was 668,549. An increase of 55,624. By percentage, that would be 9.1%.

In 2001, the population of Toronto was 2,481,494, In 2006, it was 2,503,281. An increase of 21,787. By percentage, that would be 0.9%.

The increase is 34,137 higher, or 2.6 times the increase of Toronto, not the 10.1 times the percentage.

Will the 2011 census figures be similar numbers or percentages?

If Toronto's population hasn't really grown much, then the increase in traffic congestion must be more and more people commuting in. For instance the parking lot that is the Spadina on ramp (which extends from Queen Street to the Gardiner every afternoon after 3:30PM) are all commuters. If there wasn't an on ramp there, that road would be nearly empty. Huh. Maybe we should charge a congestion tax for people coming in like London. It's not the people here that are making this city congested. It's the people coming in from the 'burbs.

... which is why Toronto is a 'hub', which is a good thing, no? Why would you want to discourage that? Toronto has what it has because it is a regional centre. Be worried when people stop flowing in!

In 2001, the population of Mississauga was 612,925. In 2006, it was 668,549. An increase of 55,624. By percentage, that would be 9.1%.

In 2001, the population of Toronto was 2,481,494, In 2006, it was 2,503,281. An increase of 21,787. By percentage, that would be 0.9%.

The increase is 34,137 higher, or 2.6 times the increase of Toronto, not the 10.1 times the percentage.

Will the 2011 census figures be similar numbers or percentages?

I recall seeing the projections from Mississauga and I think they were planning on just under 1% population growth per year from now on.

The population of the City of Toronto in 2011 was 2,760,000.
The province has all the stats you need on it's website. It provides updates not only on the province as a hole but also breaks it down to census divisions. The City of Toronto is a census division so you get the entire population. On the other hand you have individual cities like Miss or London which are not provided but rather the entire census division which is Miss case is the Regional Municipality or Peel or in London's case Middlesex County. You have to do a little math with those figure ie......Middlesex County has 460,000 with 75,000 {as their county website states} in the county itself so London is now at about 385,000. I know what you mean about the population signs which use to be updated every year, London's still sits at 352,000.
Just go to the www.ontario.ca website, go down the left hand side to Explore Government and then go down it's left hand side the Ministry of Finance and then down it's lefthand side to Demographics, There are a number of choices but go the Population projection site and get all the info you need. At the bottom of the page is the PDF download option and go to the one for Census Divisions.
It's a wealth of information but is a little hard to find if you don't know about it as most would not guess to look under the Ministry of Finance. Hope that helps.

Back