News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

these posts to Daily Commercial News helps to push khristopher's post count above 4,000 ;)

Whether or not the article was relevant, the attitude displayed by the above two posters is despicable - grow up.

Is there any new information in that article?
Why does it matter if there is no new information. Information from all sources collected in a thread is kind of the point of adding to a discussion.
The more sources the better if you ask me. If you don't agree, take it up with the staff here at UT.
these posts to Daily Commercial News helps to push khristopher's post count above 4,000 ;)
How many DCN posts have you made out of your 3000+ posts? More than I! Right, so don't go there. I could care less about post counts.

How many DCN posts have you made out of your 3000+ posts? More than I! Right, so don't go there. I could care less about post counts.

Notice how I stopped posting DCN articles ??

that's because several of us figured DCN was consistantly reporting factually incorrect data ;)

I believe the DCN is accurate for the companies involved in a project, which is information that I appreciate receiving. The number of floors or the anticipated completion of the building is of far less interest to me.

Why does it matter if there is no new information. Information from all sources collected in a thread is kind of the point of adding to a discussion.

I don't think so. Adding to a discussion means adding new points of view or new information, not being a news aggregator. On any topic I can go to Google News, type something like "York Quay" and find many repeats of the same information. If I search for news on "Toronto Union Station" there are 29 hits related to the signing of the deal with Carillion and Vanbots including UK news papers reporting the price in UK Pounds. If I paste all 29 in the Toronto Union Station thread does it add value to the discussion? Of course it doesn't add value. If people on this forum are in agreement with your point of view that "news articles = discussion = value" then get ready for my posts to go through the roof as I spend my time on Google News and bring everything to the Urban Toronto to enrich the "discussion" with plentiful "value".

If people on this forum are in agreement with your point of view that "news articles = discussion = value" then get ready for my posts to go through the roof as I spend my time on Google News and bring everything to the Urban Toronto to enrich the "discussion" with plentiful "value".

You are absolutely right, repetition of 'news' adds nothing to the discussion nor does it provide any additional 'value'. Links to or pastes of comments made elsewhere that comment on the news item can be useful if THEY add further information or introduce new arguements or viewpoints. I also use other sources of information, even books and other things printed on paper, and UT - useful though it can sometimes be - is not the only place one needs to go for info on Toronto.

Some people do seem to revel in the number of posts they have made, maybe the promised upgrade of UT should remove this running total?

I do not see a point in posting a news source that adds nothing new to our understanding of a project: if a story merely repeats what we already know, nobody really needs to see the thread sitting bolded at the top of the pile.

In regards to the Daily Commercial News specifically, I believe their reports are often of negligible value. As their floor counts cannot be relied upon, one looks for other information from them. Occasionally their photographer will have an angle that one of ours has not really covered, occasionally they will have some new information regarding who is working on a certain aspect, occasionally they will cover an aspect of a project that we knew nothing about before. If their article tells us something new, then please, by all means post it!

If you find no new information, however, then please stop and think for a moment before posting. There's so much to read here already, do UT members need to have their attention drawn yet here again to read something they already know?

Similarly, many UT members are expressing frustration at the number of posts lately which neither add to our knowledge nor to our discussion: one or two line put-downs or accolades that are not expanded upon and which do not invite discussion ultimately tell us more about the poster's ego than anything else. Not that we don't appreciate one-liners when they are either clever or funny or preferably both: we do!

The bottom line when posting: please have some content, have something worthwhile to add, and everybody should be happy!

42, you do realize the problem with that though, right?
It's almost impossible to know exactly all the details that have been posted already. Unless you're some sort of uber skyscraper geek, or have a ton of time to go reading through a whole thread.

What I've started to do is only link to the article, rather than copy & paste it if there is no new information which is of importance.
Or, I'll just post the associated image and link to the article.
I really do not see the big deal in adding more sources and collecting information in a thread designated for that very topic. I'd much rather than than see someone's comment on a photo. It's all a matter of opinion.
I'm almost going to be scared to post a link now, because of the backlash I'll get if I do.

Unless you're some sort of uber skyscraper geek, or have a ton of time to go reading through a whole thread.

You have been a member since Aug 2007 and have over 4,000 posts. Shouldn't you have already read the posts in those threads as time passed for those topics you are actually interested in?

The issue is that from one day to the next every thread is lit up as having updates. Before, when people only posted with new information or in heated discussions the updates were manageable. If people don't even know if something has been posted before then perhaps they aren't as interested on a topic as they purport to be. Anyone actually following a thread WOULD know the difference between new information and old information. This forum was created as a replacement to other forums which became useless because everything from "my neighbourhood is better than yours" to "me like" was being posted in threads. We want real discussion and analysis in here. I would say that it should be a rule in this forum that IF a news clip is attached the poster MUST have something to say about it. If the poster can't even think of anything to say about what they are posting the posting isn't worthwhile. "Here is data" is not a discussion.

Last edited:
I disagree. It's impossible to remember every detail of a thread. I'm no robot.

Don't post in every thread then. The point is to contribute to the threads that really interest you and not bother posting in others. If someone really cares how many floors the Shangri-la has they will know if that information has been determined yet. If people care how many tracks will be in the Georgetown corridor at various points they will be able to tell you how many without looking through the whole thread because they will have probably followed the progress of the project since David Collenette first announced it. If you didn't know that a news article announcing the same information you were posting was already posted then you haven't been following this thread, this topic can't possibly be that important to you, and there is no point in posting in it. If this was one of the most important projects to you then you would have been following the news on this project and would know if the news is NEW news.

Summary: don't post news in threads on topics you don't follow closely because you are probably telling people what they (the people who really care about the project and have been following the thread closely) already know.

All posts make the thread show up as unread and people who follow a topic closely have to go through the thread to see if they missed any real news which in far too many threads, expecially the Projects & Construction ones, have no real updates. It is frustrating to log in after only 12 hours and have 20 P&C threads showing updates, looking through them all and finding no news, no pics, no meaningful discussion, and not even a well thought out critique or praise of the project... just endless "any updates?", "i'm likin' this one", "green glass, boo hoo", repeat clips from news websites, etc. Frustrating.

P.S. Can the last bunch of posts in this thread including this one be moved to forum discussion?

ridiculous

this is getting out of hand. Could the moderators please step back and let people post whatever they feel is relevant to the discussion. These rants against posters are wasting far more space on this board than links to articles that "might" have been posted before. It is blatant hijacking and far worse than the "disease" you are trying to cure. Instead of discussing the building at hand, I am instead dragged into this nonsense discussion. The aggressive/negative tone doesn't help matters either. I have been a regular reader since this board started and it is honestly putting me off visiting the site altogether when every other post consists of nitpicking the newest members post that either doesn't include enough information or that repeats something for the second time on a hundred page thread. Let the people speak. This is a forum, not a news outlet.

Back