39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Time to revive an old tradition at UT and give everyone a chance to embarrass themselves or prove their psychic acuity a whole year in advance of when the marks will be handed out.

What?

That's right, it's time to make your predictions for what will happen in Toronto in the coming bound-to-be-tumultuous 12 months. Dig in, and answer these questions:

1) Project you might think would start construction in 2009, but which never gets underway.
2) Project that surprisingly begins construction prematurely in 2009, when you thought it would take longer.
3) Biggest completely new announced building (where? what?).
4) Best completed building of the year.
5) Biggest transportation announcement of the year.

Have fun!

1) Pier G.

2) Pier 27.

3) Aquarium, East Bayfront.

4) Murano.

5) Sheppard Subway to be extended east.

1) 1 Bloor East
2) Exhibit Residences near the ROM
3) 100-floor building at the southwest corner of Bloor-Yonge, named, for example Leechain Centre
4) MLS with Union Plaza!
5) Eglinton Crosstown actually goes BESIDE the street along the Richview Corridor (Please, for the love of GOD)

Oh, and not to forget: I predict that we will get some transportation investment from Harper at the January budget!:D

(1) Third phase of Infinity at Lower Simcoe and Bremner Blvd.
(2) 1 Bloor East
(3) A mixed-use development on the TTC land at Yonge and Eglinton
(4) Murano
(5) Commencement of actual construction along Eglinton Avenue

No specific transportation announcement from the federal government, but lots of immediate infrastructure spending on road repairs, bridges, sewers, and the like.

1) Project that never starts: Clear Spirit / Gooderham (L Tower too obvious).
2) Pier 27 (Hoping)
3) Biggest new building: A new McDonalds in Rexdale.
4) Best completed building: Muranos. This is already fact, not prediction.
5) Transportation: Announcement of start construction for Blue 22.

1) 300 Front
2) MaRS (does restart count?)
3) Arena for 2nd Toronto NHL team at Parc Downsview Park (Toronto Coyotes, and they win the cup in 2010)
4) 2nd Best completed building (after Muranos): 550 Wellington
5) DRL

1) Nathan Phillips Square renovation mothballed.
2) Aga Khan centre begins - finally!
3) Starchitect-designed Aquarium at Ontario Place / Starchitect-designed thingy on Planetarium site.
4) Koerner Concert Hall at the Royal Conservatory of Music.
5) Express swan boat service along the Don River at rush hour.

3) Starchitect-designed Aquarium at Ontario Place

Oh yes please, I'd really love for Toronto to get an aquarium. Although, I'd especially love to see it built in the Donlands, as the showcase piece for the new and improved east waterfront.

I was reminded of this thread by the 2010 Prediciton thread. Time to tally the score.

Shocker gets semi-points for the aquarium one; that proposal only just made it in for '09. Not really a starchitect design though.

Back