8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Filip.Nowak

Member Bio
Reaction score
Since 2021 is here, I was hoping to see what everyone’s bets/hopes are for projects that will be getting started this year. Here are mine:

Downtown/central area:
  1. 109 ave 124 street
  2. The Edward
  3. Brewery district tower
  4. J123
  5. Hat @122
  6. Open sky tower
  7. Edmonton motors tower
  8. 14
  9. 114 street residential building
  10. Grandin tower 2
  11. 113 street residential building
  12. Park view phase 1
  13. The Hudson
  14. Falcon tower
  15. The Clancey
Since 121 west is finishing up, I’m being hopeful that regency will then be able to get started on either emerald tower or tower 101...

Old strathcona/whyte ave area:
  1. Maclab garneau
  2. The hive
  3. Knox metropolitan church redevelopment
  4. South Park building 2
  5. Hat @ old strathcona
  6. Station park
  7. 99 street apartment
  8. Bateman lands

Good idea to start the bets/hopes thread again @Filip.nowak. In the last years, I think that my guess' mostly failed miserably. I'll ponder this for a bit and maybe add my predictions later.
I love this stuff and can't wait for the wagers to start rolling in! I hope that your bets are right man, even if a quarter of your predictions proceed, we'll be doing fine!
From your list, I most hope for:

Downtown

- Park view phase 1
- The Clancy
-J123 (I thought that started already but ya, it's just sight clearing.)

Old Strath

-The hive
-Station park
-Hat @ old Strathcona

Since 2021 is here, I was hoping to see what everyone’s bets/hopes are for projects that will be getting started this year. Here are mine:

Downtown/central area:
  1. 109 ave 124 street
  2. The Edward
  3. Brewery district tower
  4. J123
  5. Hat @122
  6. Open sky tower
  7. Edmonton motors tower
  8. 14
  9. 114 street residential building
  10. Grandin tower 2
  11. 113 street residential building
  12. Park view phase 1
  13. The Hudson
  14. Falcon tower
  15. The Clancey
Since 121 west is finishing up, I’m being hopeful that regency will then be able to get started on either emerald tower or tower 101...

Old strathcona/whyte ave area:
  1. Maclab garneau
  2. The hive
  3. Knox metropolitan church redevelopment
  4. South Park building 2
  5. Hat @ old strathcona
  6. Station park
  7. 99 street apartment
  8. Bateman lands
Damn, that's a prediction and a half! If that actually happened... wow...

Here's my 2 pfennigs worth in the 2021 realm:
Most exciting architectural completion in 2021 (cultural) -- Winspear addition
Most exciting restoration/re-purpose project -- Substation #600 tied with Strathcona Hotel tied with Oliver Exchange tied with U of A Dentistry/Pharmacy
Most exciting retail/hospitality project -- Iron Horse + Station Park tied with St. George Edmonton
Most exciting mixed use residential tower with retail base -- CNIB tower tied with the Hudson tied with the Parks
Most disappointing project loss -- McKernan Gates a la MoDA tied with Mackenzie tower tied with the Wedge
Most exciting TOD -- Strathearn Heights twin towers
Most exciting "missing middle" project -- Army & Navy redevelopment tied with the Umphreville Block tied with Women Building Futures tied with Muttart Lands
Most exciting residential tower (no retail base) -- Westblock tied with the Hive tied with Glenora Oark

I don't expect much in the way of major new announcements until COVID subsides and project financing restores to normal, but I do expect many new project announcements in the last half of 2021.

I would love to see Central Park start this year and the city to double its efforts on the Jasper Ave revitalization by accelerating the timeline.

Even though it won't start this year, I hope to see significant progress on the prairiesky gondola project in terms of approval process as well as the power plant vision.

Other hopes include getting shovels in the ground for the quarters tower by Alldrit and a new sports complex vision approved for the coliseum. And while I'm at it, a new galleria proposal approved.

Back