News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

But, but, his signs are BLUE! And he’s RICH! That means he has to be brilliant with numbers!

I’m surprised that there are people out there ignorant enough to still believe Ford to be “fiscally responsible” when he can’t even be bothered to produce more than a hot, steaming nothingburger of a fiscal plan.
After watching the Ford debacle at CH and the mess south of the border, it's incredible that people will still vote for guys like Ford. It's got nothing to do with party affiliation, it's about being a decent human being. Why are people willing to overlook obvious flaws such as lack of good character and decency just to save a couple of bucks? I ran into lots of Ford supporters during Ford's reign and I always wondered what line he'd have to cross to lose their support.

After watching the Ford debacle at CH and the mess south of the border, it's incredible that people will still vote for guys like Ford. It's got nothing to do with party affiliation, it's about being a decent human being. Why are people willing to overlook obvious flaws such as lack of good character and decency just to save a couple of bucks? I ran into lots of Ford supporters during Ford's reign and I always wondered what line he'd have to cross to lose their support.
"Saving a couple of bucks" or "law and order" are just the socially acceptable excuses for many too ashamed to admit their true reasons. The protectionist practices and racist dog whistles ("In a society like this, we look after our own") tap into the xenophobia and homophobia of those people and that's why people like Ford (and Trump) are able to get voters out who don't normally cast a ballot. So saying something openly racist or homophobic isn't going to sway them. Doing something criminal isn't going to sway them. Even completely ignoring campaign promises or a lack of a spending plan isn't going to cause Ford to lose these hard cores. The only time Ford seems to have lost some of these supporters is when he's betrayed them and crossed people like Tanya Granic Allan and others more openly bigoted (see: Neil Flagg's un-endorsement). Of course to buy back votes, he starts appointing openly bigoted candidates into ridings instead of letting them get weeded out by common decency in candidate elections.

It's not that the PCs are any more popular this year with regular voters. In fact, many longtime PC voters seem to be having issues with the idea of voting for Ford. It's just that Ford is able to tap into a group who don't normally vote. I'm quite sure it's no coincidence that there's a rise in populist dog-whistling conservatives in North America elections right after both a black man and lesbian hold office. Ford doing something far beyond socially inexcusable (Edwin Edwards: "The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy".) is probably the only way he'll lose those people. The swing vote will decide his fate, and I think the recent announcement of a lack of spending plan might turn the tide orange on Thursday. If only because they're actually voting based on campaign and not covert biases.

The Conservatives had 35.5 percent of the vote last election. Based on the polls I wouldn't say the province has taken a large swing Right.

Doug is essentially at the right place at the right time due to the Liberal collapse .

Looks like the PCs and their jovial yet inarticulate leader have a majority of seats locked up at this stage. Barring any major surprises or fatal gaffes Ontario will finally be back on course to a more fiscally responsible path.

This is the kind of statement that makes the hair I have left stand on end, because it is (no offence) hopelessly low-information. Considering the data (low public spending AND low tax revenues compared to other provinces), the only "fiscally responsible" path is to increase taxes. What are the chances that the PC will do this?

Last edited:
Fat shaming are we now? That weak mindedness smacks of desperation.

Doug can dish it out.

cut the waste 2.jpg

Attachments

• cut the waste 2.jpg
    cut the waste 2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 368
That was such a waist of time and effort.

It was a great example of the carnival atmosphere with Doughie as the resident huckster to Robbie's job as the barker.

The Conservatives had 35.5 percent of the vote last election. Based on the polls I wouldn't say the province has taken a large swing Right.

Doug is essentially at the right place at the right time due to the Liberal collapse .
The numbers are actually quite scary. The number of people in Ontario (and Canada) who support centre or right wing parties is about 1/3. A full 2/3 support the left wing NDP or Liberals. This either means that the province and country are in huge trouble, or there is a large segment of the population that are centrist and are just so apathetic or ignorant that they do not realize or care that they are voting left when they are centrists.

The numbers are actually quite scary. The number of people in Ontario (and Canada) who support centre or right wing parties is about 1/3. A full 2/3 support the left wing NDP or Liberals. This either means that the province and country are in huge trouble, or there is a large segment of the population that are centrist and are just so apathetic or ignorant that they do not realize or care that they are voting left when they are centrists.
It's not a surprise that centrism is misunderstood and disparaged.

Back