News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The numbers are actually quite scary. The number of people in Ontario (and Canada) who support centre or right wing parties is about 1/3. A full 2/3 support the left wing NDP or Liberals. This either means that the province and country are in huge trouble, or there is a large segment of the population that are centrist and are just so apathetic or ignorant that they do not realize or care that they are voting left when they are centrists.

The Liberals are actually centrists; they have left-wing policies but are rather conservative fiscally. As I have been emphasizing constantly, our program spending per capita is low compared to other provinces, and so are our taxes. So I suggest the opposite: that people who support right-wing parties do so because they are ill-informed; they believe, like Torontonians who voted for Rob Ford, that there is a high level of waste at the provincial level - and there is no evidence of that. If people are unhappy with the health care and education systems, why would they vote for spending and tax cuts?

I feel like Ontario and Alabama aren't so different after all! Maybe deep inside we're just better dressed rednecks. The closer this election gets, the more cynical I become. How can any sane person believe that Doug Ford is competent enough to lead this province, after seeing what he was like at Toronto city council? At this point, we all know he lacks intelligence, ethics and good common sense and yet, it seems like the people of Ontario will elect him to the highest office in the province. He seems to have a very sililar mind-set to Trump but Conservatives are just able to overlook it, dispite the political circus down south. It blows my mind!

My vote is going NDP because I think that's the only hope of blocking Ford but I ain't feeling too hopeful!

The Liberals are actually centrists; they have left-wing policies but are rather conservative fiscally. As I have been emphasizing constantly, our program spending per capita is low compared to other provinces, and so are our taxes. So I suggest the opposite: that people who support right-wing parties do so because they are ill-informed; they believe, like Torontonians who voted for Rob Ford, that there is a high level of waste at the provincial level - and there is no evidence of that. If people are unhappy with the health care and education systems, why would they vote for spending and tax cuts?
Totally agree!

Selling off Hydro was Wynn's big blunder, as it was all downhill for her after that!

He seems to have a very sililar mind-set to Trump but Conservatives are just able to overlook it, dispite the political circus down south. It blows my mind!

As I said, many aren't actually. The problem is the "new" conservatives brought in by Doug, Tanya Granic Allan, etc. are just filling in the void left by those abandoning the party. There's never been an election where I've heard so many longtime conservative voters (even card carrying ones) talking about placing their votes elsewhere to avoid Doug. He scares the rational ones, and rightly so.

I feel like Ontario and Alabama aren't so different after all! Maybe deep inside we're just better dressed rednecks. The closer this election gets, the more cynical I become. How can any sane person believe that Doug Ford is competent enough to lead this province, after seeing what he was like at Toronto city council? At this point, we all know he lacks intelligence, ethics and good common sense and yet, it seems like the people of Ontario will elect him to the highest office in the province. He seems to have a very sililar mind-set to Trump but Conservatives are just able to overlook it, dispite the political circus down south. It blows my mind!

My vote is going NDP because I think that's the only hope of blocking Ford but I ain't feeling too hopeful!

I voted liberal in the past, but right now I don't like any of the candidates. Doug Ford may not be competent but I can say the same for the other candidates. The reason why Ford still has a chance is the same way Trump did. People are so fed up and disgusted with Wynne that they're going to the complete opposite side. Whether they're right or wrong is a different conversation but that's what's happening.

Personally never liked Wynne and I'm undecided on where my vote will lie. I typically vote Liberal but can assure you I won't this time.

One important point I had missed when considering what effect Doug Ford as Premier would have is that both Fords were very anti-land transfer tax. They failed to repeal it because Rob Ford's grip on City Council had at that point loosened. As Premier, Doug Ford could easily remove Toronto's power to levy this tax, leaving Toronto's budget hundreds of millions of dollars in the red and cascading down into cancelling services we depend on.

We already discussed the effects on Toronto transit planning. What other Ford municipal priorities would Doug get to force on to Toronto given the powers of Queens Park?

My part of this city is Orange,solid Orange has been for decades, voting for anyone else is a waste, but yeah, have voted Liberal in the past. Orange it will be this time around.

As I said, many aren't actually. The problem is the "new" conservatives brought in by Doug, Tanya Granic Allan, etc. are just filling in the void left by those abandoning the party. There's never been an election where I've heard so many longtime conservative voters (even card carrying ones) talking about placing their votes elsewhere to avoid Doug. He scares the rational ones, and rightly so.

I must be one of those "new" conservatives. I typically vote Liberal but my anger towards the Wynne Liberals has driven straight towards Doug this time around. At the start of the campaign, my riding looked like it'd be one of the few Red ridings left standing, but even now it and some neighbouring ones are projected to go Blue.

Ford doesn't like Tory, so why would he want this to happen? Some people have suggested that Mikey runs for mayor next time.

Last edited:
Looks like doug will win.
Of course, he will, the question is of a minority or majority government. Which riding he doesn't win is also an important thing, the loss of important ridings will hamper votes in Queen's Park.

There is also the matter of confidence within the party; Doughie is also not aware he would not the top dog in Ontario, that's the Lt. Governor General. If he loses just one majority vote from the OPC MPPs...

Reactions: DSC
Ford doesn't like Tory, so why would he want this to happen? Some people have suggested that Mikey runs for mayor next time.

Doug and Rob hated that the Mayor didn't have absolute power so I have no doubt that Doug would waste no time in instituting a strong Mayor system, without considering how that'd make Tory's life easier. All he'd see is that that "wrong" would be made "right".

Back