News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Both your points don't hold up to the reality in the last election..

People came out to vote provincially in greater numbers than they ever did over the Ontario Liberal Years with over 58% turnout the highest since 1999. I am quite certain the next Ontario election will see a strong turnout as well.

In Comparison it was in 2007 52%, 2011 48%, 2014 51%.

Therefore people were far more engaged in this election than any recent Ontario election, so the point about people being lazy is false. Maybe the turnout should be higher but in comparison to the norm, it was up by a good amount :)

Also Ford got a lot of PC support in non-traditional PC ridings showing he got votes outside the typical 'serial conservative base' and likely poached the moderate vote that usually went liberal the past 15 years.

Arguably the increased turnout worked both ways. Maybe it's more a matter of presumed "mushy middle" hegemonies that generate low turnouts.

Also, who's to say strong turnout will work out on the Tories' behalf, as opposed to the opposition's behalf--2015 federally was the highest turnout in ages, and it worked out on behalf of the Liberals. (The Cons only lost about 200,000 raw votes from their 2011 majority.)

First, who says that Horwath will still be leader in 2022 (not that she *shouldn't* be, but...)

Second, if we may learn from Justin in '15, don't underestimate the Liberals' comeback potential--even when presently w/o official party status

Third, who says Ford will still be premier by 2022, even--I can picture him jumping or being pushed by then...

I'm not sure if the OLP has a "Justin" waiting in the wings. Bob Rae also played an important stewardship role as interim leader of the federal party.

But with Ford being so polarizing, it's hard to see the Liberals evaporate completely. There needs to be a safety valve for the "too educated to vote Ford, too bourgeois to vote NDP" demographic.

Seems like the "never Ford" Tories had about as much impact as "never Trump" Republicans in the US.
Well if that poll released a few days ago is anything to go by...

The John Tory/Bill Davis form of conservatives are a dying breed. Only 1 in 4 PC voters in Toronto disapproved of Ford's actions.

The John Tory/Bill Davis form of conservatives are a dying breed. Only 1 in 4 PC voters in Toronto disapproved of Ford's actions.

Not surprising really. So the hardcore Ford base is about 25% of the Toronto electorate.

Ford got a lot of the "never-voters". Those people for whom no recent candidate has been "conservative" enough (ie; dog-whistle racists, homophobes, isolationists, shit-on-the-system-and-blow-it-all-up types). Ford attracted a lot of terrible people with terrible motivations into voting when they rarely ever do. These same people (like Trumpanzees before), complain about government spending, efficiencies and "economic uncertainty", but heard the "take care of our own" statement in the way they wanted to. The way that makes them think that he can do something to make them feel safe from the gays, brown people and latte-sippers who make them feel guilty for being selfish pricks.
Ford didn’t do shit. His result was about the same as the PC approval rating right before Brown got sacked. It didn’t matter if someone had a raging Ford boner or held their nose at the polling station, the PC votes were already locked up.

It's nice to see Ford working so hard to restore order after that judge tried to throw things into chaos. I think it's too early to start rating Ford among the greatest Premiers in Ontario history - but we shall see. He does have the passion, vision and common sense to perhaps make it there.
Looks like the Legislature will resume sitting on Monday.

Harris reduced the # of MPPs by 30%+. Ford reduced his Executive by 30%+. At least Ford and the PC's have loads of credibility on this issue.

Working hard? My god, man......are you for real?

Were you at Harvest as well? I should have came by and had some of what you're having.

Last edited:
Not surprising really. So the hardcore Ford base is about 25% of the Toronto electorate.

25% who are almost guaranteed to be at the ballot box is already a headstart- Ford only needs to throw out some freebies and a slightly softer tone to capture around another 15-20%.

Innisfil's now in Barrie-Innisfil; it's no longer in York-Simcoe.

My bad. It is a rapidly growing area for sure. Lots of homes being built.

As for how PC voters feel about Doug, my dad is one of them doesn't like what he is doing and considers this council reduction to be revenge. He likens this chaos to what Trump is doing in the US and agrees that Ford will be a one term premer, if that.

Last edited:

I've got to suspect that poll methodology. It's also very curious as to how the Fordites are delighting in *not being* "Conservatives". They are "Ford Nation" Little do they know they're delineating themselves at the edge, and soon to fall over it.

Back