News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It's more like 40% support of those that voted. The system allows a majority government.

If only we'd start referring to it in a term that describes it more accurately. Which is to say, "minority rule government".

Reference to and belief in the absolute mandate of our "majority" governments are massive societal delusions.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2...oned-about-96-councillors-in-leeds-grenville/

Wow, get this guy off TV for a while. He just destroyed all reasoning for cutting the size of Toronto council, while his riding has 96 councillors and 10 mayors.

lolwut.

What a complete piece of shit snake. I have zero respect for people who talk to you like you're an idiot and tell you hypocritical lies asking you to believe in their benevolence.
Go choke on a print-out of Bill 5, you pond scum knob....take that p.o.s. A-G with you.

Conservative support typically gets under-sampled and liberal support (Liberals/NDP/Greens) over-sampled in official polls though. I had many people on here ridicule me up to 72 hours before the election for daring to state the obvious that Ford was going to win.

Actually, all the major pollsters predicted a PC majority.

The funny thing is how the Hopkins123s of the world read the "many people on here" as (a) a universal and (b) a reflection of "official polls". Oh, and (c) that the ridicule had to do with the "obvious" being stated rather than the manner in which it was being stated--and, for that matter, the fact that it was being stated as an "obvious" in the first place. Look: it isn't that a lot of us were counting on an NDP victory (or minority); but we were allowing for a certain benefit of the doubt, esp. with the last-minute Renata suit throwing a new element into the equation. And while 74-to-40 is still a solid majority, it's also close enough to justify the benefit of the doubt--the only other time in the past century when an opposition party had at least 40 seats being the 1985 Miller-Peterson race. It was probably more "obvious" than the 2014 Liberal majority--but it certainly wasn't "obvious" in the manner of the 1987 Peterson majority. I'm sorry; but a lot of us would rather be "round-edged" in our electoral predictions and analyses--heck, in my own dissective post-mortems, I like to look into the poll-by-poll ground-level "variables" even in a 60%+ Tory seat like Markham-Unionville (or, for that matter, a 60%+ NDP seat like Davenport). Whereas a Hopkins123 might look to such a seat as "solid Tory--that's it; eff the poll-by-polls", like the grunt-grunt cum-in-her-snatch roll-over-and-snore approach to sex. (In fact, my benefit of the doubt went both ways--both to a NDP victory, and to a "nightmare scenario" 90-to-30 PC landslide.)

Oh, and re over/under-sampling: if were to use Hopkins123's stated undersampling-Cons barometer, then the 24-51 provincially/17-47 nationally positive-negative barometer might be more like 29-46 or 22-42, which is still well in the negative range. Unless he's trying to spin one-time fluke polls like the 33-47 one for the NDP as the kind *we* were primarily using.

For the record, here's CBC's Poll Tracker--t/w the end, the polls "converged" to the 37-39% range for the Tories; which was still short of the final number, but not by *that* much. So even if it made a difference in the seat totals (and perhaps, btw/ minority and majority status), it was hardly anything drastic...

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/onvotes/poll-tracker/

People seem to love to bring up our selling of "surplus green energy", ignoring the minutiae of it; that it's being produced generally during off-peak hours and there's no way to store it.

Minutae, basically true.

Though, maybe more than you think, during peak production.

From the latest IESO 18-month outlook:

About 1,470 MW of new supply – 985 MW of gas, 375 MW of wind, 100 MW of solar and 15 MW of hydroelectric – is expected to be connected to the province’s transmission grid over the Outlook period. By the end of the period, the amount of grid-connected wind and gridconnected solar is expected to increase to approximately 4,800 MW and500 MW respectively.
By the end of the Outlook period, embedded wind capacity will be about 600 MW and embedded solar will be about 2,200 MW. Overall contracted embedded capacity will be about 3,500 MW by the end of Outlook horizon.

There are, however, means to store renewable power; the issue is one of efficiency and cost of so doing. Right now Ontario has about 50 megawatts of storage under contract. That's obviously a small proportion of peak production.

http://www.ieso.ca/en/Powering-Tomo...r-20-energy-storage-facilities-under-contract

energy-storage-under-contract.png

Just perfect:

Jennifer Pagliaro
As first reported by @goldsbie, I have confirmed Alexander “Sandro” Lisi,
former mayor Rob Ford’s friend and sometimes driver whose charges were dismissed after *the* crack video was entered into evidence/released publicly, is running for TDSB trustee in Ward 1

Just perfect:

Jennifer Pagliaro
former mayor Rob Ford’s friend and sometimes driver whose charges were dismissed after *the* crack video was entered into evidence/released publicly, is running for TDSB trustee in Ward 1
With a special emphasis on sex education, doubtless...

Just perfect:

Jennifer Pagliaro
'Dros before hos

Doug Ford will be in the Ottawa area on Sunday, to inspect the tornado damage.

Wonder if Doug's will be throwing out paper towels, like his idol Donald Trump?

Remember when Liberals came to power in 2003, after PC rule, and they uncovered a “hidden” deficit of $5.4 billion?

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/edi..._content=OntarioFinancesPCsknewEDITORIALBOARD
  • In 2003 - it was basically a he said/she said situation. The PC's likely exaggerated the numbers 1 way, the Liberal the other.
  • In 2015 - Harper was smarter and had the Parliamentary Budget Officer confirm that the budget was in surplus. The Liberals figured they would use their honeymoon and a favourable press to try to argue that Harper had indeed left a deficit. With the help of the media, it worked to some degree.
  • In 2018 - Ford was even smarter. He had the Auditor General review the entire books and confirm the $15B deficit number. The Liberals are now torn between whether they should argue that the AG is wrong - as they did a year ago, or argue that everyone knew the Liberals were lying last year so this shouldn't be a surprise.

It's so highly technical that it's 'beneath the radar' on the web. But it's an essential discussion. I'll keep searching.

Even getting details on this is difficult. I have to delve to see if they're 'filtering' their DC ripple or not. I would have thought not, because you lose the equivalent of 'torque' if put through a cap bank. Again, a crucial point, because reintegrating final AC from asynchronous ripple DC requires a filtered source (one would presume), unless reformation (unrectifying by a switching circuit) could reconstitute AC assuming certain factors, like ripple phase angle if unfiltered. Whether the phase angle could be led or lagged by LC coupling is a good question. Obviously in theory it is. In practice? Whenever I do get hits Googling on it, the one thing that's a given is "cost".

Still digging on this, and on PQ/Ont interconnects.

Btw: "UHV" is still current terminology (duplicitous meaning unintended). It's still on the books, but not showing much in discussions now. I guess the 'ultra' aspect has become so commonplace now...

Addendum: Found an excellent paper on the topic (what a difference a day makes for finding key search words!)

Print page 13

Ontario-Quebec Interconnection Capability: A Technical Review - Ieso

See review here:

Ontario-Quebec Interconnection Capability - A Technical Review - Ieso

Yes, I have seen that. Thanks.

Back