News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Ford’s government is turning out to be very poor in the specifics but they are at least making an attempt to match revenue and expenses.

I have no difficulty w/the critique of Wynne's Liberals in respect of being too cowardly to raise taxes to a more reasonable level.

However, I have every issue w/the suggestion there's some meaningful improvement in fiscal responsibility since Ford ascended to power.

Certainly there have not been any of the aforementioned tax hikes; but there have also not been any intelligent moves to improve productivity; in point of fact, they added numerous additional expenses, which resulted in a higher deficit in year one of their government than would otherwise have been the case.

Its rather unfortunate to see you endorse an unsubstantiable idea.

Last edited:
I have no difficulty w/the critique of Wynne's Liberals in respect of being too cowardly to raise taxes to a more reasonable level.

However, I have every issue w/the suggestion there's some meaningful improvement in fiscal responsibility since Ford ascended to power.

Certainly there not been any of the aforementioned tax hikes; but there have also not been any intelligent moves to improve productivity; in point of fact, they added numerous additional expenses, which resulted in a higher deficit in year one of their government than would otherwise have been the case.

Its rather unfortunate to see you endorse an unsubstantiable idea.
Buck

a

Beer

The Ontario government is defending a new grant for this year’s Jesus in the City parade to an evangelical Christian group associated with a friend of Premier Doug Ford — the controversial Rev. Charles McVety, a vocal opponent of the updated sex education curriculum and same-sex marriage.

An annual event since 1999, the downtown parade with floats and marching bands will be held Sept. 7 starting at Queen’s Park. It was given $12,078 under the Celebrate Ontario program, which has cut funding to other events this year and also provides money to events such as Taste of the Danforth and Pride.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...a&utm_campaign=&utm_campaign_id=&utm_content=

If I throw Doug twenty bucks, can he promote my Saturday afternoon garage sale?

#BoycottPeleeWinery is trending after it was revealed its president Walter Schmoranz donated $1000 to the Ontario PCs only weeks before Premier Ford made an Ontario News Now ten minute video telling Ontarians to "go out and buy a bottle of Peelee Island wine."

Well then I shall duly boycott Pelee winery products. Not that I was particularly in favour of their wines.

peelee.jpg

Ontario wine is shitty and overpriced. And Pelee Island is on Lake Erie, home to places like Buffalo and Cleveland.

Ontario wine is shitty and overpriced. And Pelee Island is on Lake Erie, home to places like Buffalo and Cleveland.

That is an entirely uninformed position, which is rather unlike you.

I love great food and great wine; and Ontario makes some very good stuff.

Now, there are virtually no full-bodied reds in that list. Which are my, and many people's favourites. But we have too short a growing season to achieve a deep, complex, Cabernet Sauvignon, most years, anyway.

However, there are are a many great whites, and some superb Pinot Noirs amongst Ontario's wines, and some are very well priced.

I would very much sing the praises of Cave Springs Riesling which I think is one of the best of this varietal anywhere in the world. Their Estate Riesling is $18.95 a bottle which is very fair for the quality.

Ontario also produces some very decent cool-climate (think green apple) chardonnays. Tawse Sketches Chardonnay at $21.95 would be a superior choice.

Hidden Bench has an excellent Pinot Noir at $29.95

There are plenty more where those came from.

Don't conflate the international blend stuff which is not real Ontario wine w/VQA products; nor entry level varietals in that category priced at $9-12 with those in the $15 plus price range.

Pelee is a mass producer. They make lots of non-VQA and lots of entry level product. I should add here, not all of its is bad, though none is particularly amazing. I think their best is probably their Chardonnay-Vidal blend. Not brilliant, but quite quaffable when well chilled with a creamy pasta dish.

But there are lots and lots of great producers here making lots of top-tier product.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of Ontario reds, particularly the Cab Sauvs. I recently visited some of the smaller wineries and had some very enjoyable reds, which showed great improvement over previous years. But no, they aren't the amazing full bodied wine that comes from warmer, drier climes than ours. And they were indeed way over priced ($70, I don't think so).

I'm not a fan of whites, but Ontario does produce some enjoyable whites -- great in this hot weather with some tasty cheese.

Ice wine and blue cheese as a app -- it's pretty damned amazing.

I doubt that Doug is much of a wine connoisseur and wouldn't know a Riesling from a Bordeaux, but he'll happily take some guy's cheque and then tell people to go buy his product because that's how he rolls.

The PC Party says it has returned a $450 overcontribution to the president of Pelee Island Winery, and emphasized the premier was unaware of his donation.
@robertbenzie

Makes me miss Kathleen Wynne.

EDIT:

Allison Smith
@QueensParkToday

NEW: Following the #BoycottPeleeWinery dust up, Queen’s Park Today has uncovered four other companies featured in Ontario News Now promo videos whose owners or founders are Ontario PC Party donors.

Last edited:

Back