News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Quite a few jobs for little Napanee, Industrial land in the GTA is getting prohibitively expensive.

Putting NA EV production at 5M by 2020 might be low-balling things. Tesla plans to produce 20M vehicles by then, and probably a quarter of those will be for the NA market. Surely companies other than Tesla will manufacture EVs in North America.
I'm not exactly sure the GTA, most certainly Toronto, even wants heavy industry anymore. An employer that size will probably draw workers from Belleville to Kingston and north to the Hwy 7 corridor.

I assume you meant 2030. People that build and, more importantly, finance large capital projects have to rely on realistic and, admittedly, conservative, market analysis. This isn't dot.com venture financing. Based on first quarter production rates, Tesla's production, worldwide, is just under 1.9Mn. That's a long way from 20 Mn.

Let's see what the mood on this is after we have a long real estate correction. The era of selling houses to each other might be ending in Toronto.

While I concur w/this; I also note this particular plant is consuming 350 acres; a virtual impossibility in Toronto of today; even if there were a significant correction in the market. I can only envision a couple of plausible sites/assemblies of that size; and they aren't currently in the market, nor would they come as cheaply as land in Loyalist Twp.

Let's see what the mood on this is after we have a long real estate correction. The era of selling houses to each other might be ending in Toronto.
It would take a downturn in ecommerce to cool demand for industrial space. The demand is pretty insatiable.

I'm a bit mixed on how big a difference a cooling real estate market will have. I think the drivers of (un)affordability are just changing from high prices to high interest rates. I kind of don't mind all the empty-nest boomers camping on their 4 or 5 bedroom empty houses seeing a huge hit to their perceived wealth as they belatedly begin downsizing. But realistically, demand for housing is robust in Toronto so I'm not sure affordability will improve.

Last edited:
While I concur w/this; I also note this particular plant is consuming 350 acres; a virtual impossibility in Toronto of today; even if there were a significant correction in the market. I can only envision a couple of plausible sites/assemblies of that size; and they aren't currently in the market, nor would they come as cheaply as land in Loyalist Twp.
An operation like this belongs in a smaller town, with relatively low real estate values. It's a good thing for the area, and I'm sure will bring well paid jobs to an area that could really use them. This is exactly the type of facility you will see scattered all around Ontario in smaller towns. At several million dollars per acre, this can't be justified in the GTA proper.

Last edited:
I also assume they already have a good idea of where they will be exporting their products, and that probably played a factor. Those Eastern Ontario bridges over the St. Lawrence are far less congested than the Niagara or Detroit/Sarnia options, so if some or most of the product is eventually bound for the eastern/southern US that would be a bonus.

To give people a bit more meat to chew on............from the article:

"Premier Doug Ford is poised to give U.S.-style “strong-mayor” powers to the cities of Toronto and Ottawa, the Star has learned."

"Ford, long a proponent of mayors having greater clout than councillors, wants the Toronto and Ottawa chief magistrates empowered to oversee budgets and act unilaterally if need be."

"Asked Tuesday what was afoot, Clark’s office stressed any looming civic changes would be to help tackle the housing crisis."

"It remains unclear whether the Toronto and Ottawa mayors would enjoy the sweeping veto powers of their American counterparts."

To give people a bit more meat to chew on............from the article:

"Premier Doug Ford is poised to give U.S.-style “strong-mayor” powers to the cities of Toronto and Ottawa, the Star has learned."
Funny how, despite promises to do otherwise, Tory decided to run for a third term, and a couple of conservative councillors decided not to run again.

Methinks Ford’s been floating this idea around for a while.

Funny how, despite promises to do otherwise, Tory decided to run for a third term, and a couple of conservative councillors decided not to run again.

Methinks Ford’s been floating this idea around for a while.

I suspect one of the KKK (Krista, Karla or Kyla) will run for Mayor of Toronto now that Mikey is out of the picture.

It seems cutting city council in half was the first step in a multi-step process.

There are certainly benefits of having a 'strong mayor' in place, but with a reduced council that has less power does the Mayor simply become an extension of the Premier?

I guess we'll have to see what exactly these changes entail.

1658347559608.png

Back