News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Excellent point. However I don’t believe any of the liberal leadership candidates were of any quality.

None of the candidates were so I voted strategically.

I voted Conservative last election because Del Duca was an idiot and Horwath was a lame duck well past her prime. I wanted Horwath out and I knew the Liberals would not win so I voted for Ford.

Would I do it in the next election? HELL NO! My point was made however.

So you literally voted for this to spite the other parties.

I voted for the best of the worst.

Andrea and I never got along. We actually had an argument in the Bay on Queen while she was out shopping. Del Duca is an airhead.

Realistically, the only way to get rid of either one was vote for the PC's. Normally, I am so far left that the NDP branded me a communist.

I voted for the best of the worst.

Andrea and I never got along. We actually had an argument in the Bay on Queen while she was out shopping. Del Duca is an airhead.

Realistically, the only way to get rid of either one was vote for the PC's. Normally, I am so far left that the NDP branded me a communist.
Your reasoning here is, as in other threads, quite baffling!

Your reasoning here is, as in other threads, quite baffling!

The way I looked at it was that if Andrea got any modicum of support she would take it as a win and keep on going. Del Duca would have only won if the other two party leaders stroked out on the campaign trail.

The premier is just the head of government. It's what the government does that matters. Generally I don't care about the "leader". Ronnie Burkett's puppets are more compelling than any of those guys. It's the policies I care about.
No, in this government it’s Ford that matters. Everyone else at Queens Park is either a PC lackey or sitting in impotent opposition.

I think 'governments ignoring the Constitution' is a bit of an overstatement. Without minimizing it, Section 33 only allows the suspension of certain sections of the Charter which, itself, is only part of the Constitution.
Ford could tomorrow pass any law he wants, canceling out any rights or freedoms within the provincial government‘s power to control.

No, in this government it’s Ford that matters. Everyone else at Queens Park is either a PC lackey or sitting in impotent opposition.
In bully-boy Doug's schoolyard, being a lackey is the one career enhancing position available. Character and integrity begone !

Ford could tomorrow pass any law he wants, canceling out any rights or freedoms within the provincial government‘s power to control.
My point was 'ignoring the Constitution' was overly broad. The Constitution is two statutes; the Constitution Act 1867 (British North America Act) and the Constitution Act 1981. The Charter is only one part - a very important part - of eight in that statute. I'm not trying to limit the impact, which is significant, but Sec 33 ('notwithstanding clause') can only suspend the Charter rights enumerated in the section. There are many it can not.

Some pundits are now talking about the federal government ('Governor General-in-Council') exercising its Executive power of 'disallowance' as laid out in the Constitution Act , 1867. It apparently hasn't been exercised since the 1940s. It's pretty egg head stuff, and if people feel the NWS clause as being the 'nuclear option', there is a concern that disallowance would be MAD.

I would not be surprised if the other big unions beyond teachers, including the police and firefighters unions (Doug’s favourite folks) along with construction, autoworkers, transportation unions, have been calling the Premiers office to demand that using the NWC to strike break not happen.

Paywall free version https://archive.ph/Ixazh

“On Tuesday, the Labourers’ International Union of North America, or LiUNA, accused the government of “eroding the collective bargaining rights” “Restricting collective bargaining and the right for unions to strike and negotiate freely through the implementation of back-to-work legislation and enacting the notwithstanding clause sets a dangerous precedent,” stated a letter sent by LiUNA international vice-president Joseph Mancinelli to Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce.” Mr. Mancinelli’s rhetoric toward the Ford government stands in sharp contrast to the union’s position just six months ago, when it, along with seven other construction unions, backed the PCs for re-election.

Here‘s another one. https://pressprogress.ca/another-un...ndemning-fords-use-of-notwithstanding-clause/

“It’s a slippery slope. If they are successful with using it against the support workers that CUPE has, what’s next?” Gallagher added. “I think that all of the workers out there, and I think that’s happening with all the other unions, looking at it and looking at each other and saying, ‘Is the constitution only going to be upheld when it’s convenient to do so or is it actually a rule of law that we can rely on to protect our members?'”

Ford‘s overreach here may be a spark for a unions to rise up across the province.

Last edited:

Back