News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It's probably for the best. If the Liberals are seen to feel it necessary to recruit leadership talent externally, then they're in big trouble.
They ARE in trouble and their selection of del Duca was a very clear warning sign. Yes, it would have taken a god of some kind to get them back into power after so many Liberal years (voters do normally like a change every so often) but he really may have been the best they had - which is simply pathetic. Of course, after 2 Ford terms they could spring back but need a very good leader and I am not too impressed with the mutterings so far.

They ARE in trouble and their selection of del Duca was a very clear warning sign. Yes, it would have taken a god of some kind to get them back into power after so many Liberal years (voters do normally like a change every so often) but he really may have been the best they had - which is simply pathetic. Of course, after 2 Ford terms they could spring back but need a very good leader and I am not too impressed with the mutterings so far.
It would take a miracle, problem being the provincial Libs have a serious problem getting candidates. Trying to enforce or create a bylaw stating a candidate must be a card carrying Lib as of Jan 2023 is crazy. I live in the Tor-Danforth riding and last election a former NDP who sat at Toronto council was running as a Liberal candidate in this riding opposite Peter Tabuns. Prior to that a long line of professionals with no experience. The Liberals need to take a serious look at amalgamating with either NDP or Greens and not fight each other as Horvath did and divided the vote.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC

Not a chance, several of them were better, they just didn't have the membership selling machine he did.

I like Mike Schreiner, but I don't think jumping parties works out for the vast majority who do so, the vast majority of the time.

Its simply seen as something disingenuous or disloyal; ie. "Were you ever truly a member of party 'x' " .

I also think it doesn't tend to work out well for the acquiring party either. Not only for the reason above, but because it suggests (rightly or otherwise) that the party is so weak in bench strength that it needs to
grab someone from somewhere else; and/or that its all about gaining power (which it usually is, but its not supposed to look that way)

I tend to favour the idea that party leadership races should be turned on their head by prohibiting 'new members' from voting. Currently, the way these things tend to work is that prospective leaders go out and sell thousands to hundreds of thousands of memberships, which in turn, presumably go to to people who will support the campaign that sold these to them.

So people who were not remotely interested in the Conservatives, or Liberals or NDP etc. a week, month of year earlier are suddenly empowered to decide the future course of that party.

That seems like a way to lose faith with your core supporters to me.; and its a process very open to abuse/manipulation.

Why not require someone to be a member in good standing for at least 2 full years prior to a leadership election in order to vote?

In that same vein, it hardly seems reasonable that someone should be running who was not also a member for at least 2 years.
It's kind of remarkable that there are no federal Liberals that are interested in seeking the job. The right candidate is very likely to be premier, given the Ford government will be getting long in the tooth, and the federal Liberals are likely to be cruising for a spell in opposition.

Anita Anand? Omar Alghabra?

It's kind of remarkable that there are no federal Liberals that are interested in seeking the job. The right candidate is very likely to be premier, given the Ford government will be getting long in the tooth, and the federal Liberals are likely to be cruising for a spell in opposition.

Anita is an incredibly competent fixer; but no one will ever sell her 'presence' or speech-giving. I'm perfectly fine w/that; and would equally acknowledge sometimes pols win w/o that. (see Stephen Harper, among others)

But I dunno, she's prone to laying low.

Omar is a bit more interesting. He more easily conveys enthusiasm; but he's also been in cabinet for several years and still doesn't feel 'showcased' Assuming that isn't merely protection of the PM's ego, one must wonder why.

Anita is an incredibly competent fixer; but no one will ever sell her 'presence' or speech-giving. I'm perfectly fine w/that; and would equally acknowledge sometimes pols win w/o that. (see Stephen Harper, among others)

But I dunno, she's prone to laying low.

Omar is a bit more interesting. He more easily conveys enthusiasm; but he's also been in cabinet for several years and still doesn't feel 'showcased' Assuming that isn't merely protection of the PM's ego, one must wonder why.
Doug Ford is hardly oozing charisma. Nor McGuinty for that matter. They both started as merely satisfactory speakers. Doug was particularly bad initially, but is a bit less wooden/scripted folksy now.

She seems like an effective communicator, and certainly less dismal than Del Duca.

Doug Ford is hardly oozing charisma. Nor McGuinty for that matter. They both started as merely satisfactory speakers. Doug was particularly bad initially, but is a bit less wooden/scripted folksy now.

Fair enough

She seems like an effective communicator, and certainly less dismal than Del Duca.

LOL, a comparison in which no one should take any satisfaction.

It would take a miracle, problem being the provincial Libs have a serious problem getting candidates. Trying to enforce or create a bylaw stating a candidate must be a card carrying Lib as of Jan 2023 is crazy. I live in the Tor-Danforth riding and last election a former NDP who sat at Toronto council was running as a Liberal candidate in this riding opposite Peter Tabuns. Prior to that a long line of professionals with no experience. The Liberals need to take a serious look at amalgamating with either NDP or Greens and not fight each other as Horvath did and divided the vote.
Granted, Toronto-Danforth isn't the best reference point, unless the Libs were gearing for wiping the NDP off the map totally. (Remember that it's the only provincial riding in Toronto which the NDP has held continuously for *all* of this century. And the only other ridings in the whole province that can make that claim, roughly speaking, are Niagara Centre and Nickel Belt. And maybe, if you want, the two aboriginal ridings up north, even though they technically did not exist pre-2018)

Last edited:

None? You haven't heard the buzz about Nathaniel Erskine-Smith or Yasir Naqvi? Not all federal Liberals have to be a cabinet player, after all...

What's the dish on him?
Gossip… nope, not engaging, nothing scandalous, however he has run unsuccessfully for the leadership to replace McGinty. Although a more charismatic than Steven Del Duca he might be the popular choice, it won’t be mine. But opinions change 😊

None? You haven't heard the buzz about Nathaniel Erskine-Smith or Yasir Naqvi? Not all federal Liberals have to be a cabinet player, after all...
I suppose that they are sufficiently low profile that I haven't heard anything. But I hear precious little about the LPO in general.

Back