News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A&W has acquired the right to pilot Pret in Canada over the next 2 years; if successful, they will become the permanent master franchisee.

Article below:

1635213658509.png

More at the link above. (though not much)

Travelling in super expensive London, they were a reliable spot for a cheap breakfast or lunch. Coffee wasn’t bad either.

I don't think they are as amazing as some do..........I enjoy really good food too much for that; but as 'fast casual' they are definitely an above-average provider!

I'm pretty sure I've tried them before. Either in NYC or Hong Kong, but can't quite pin point the exact location or experience. Anyways, I'd welcome them to the Canadian market.

I'm pretty sure I've tried them before. Either in NYC or Hong Kong, but can't quite pin point the exact location or experience. Anyways, I'd welcome them to the Canadian market.
According to Wiki they are in many places:

The company emphasises the use of natural ingredients and advertises that its sandwiches are made on the day of purchase in a kitchen at each location (with the stated exception of a few small outlets). Food left unsold at the end of the day is collected by charities. Sandwiches are packaged in paperboard rather than sealed plastic.[31] 67% of its trade is in London, where around three-quarters of its stores are located. Locations include:

I also found 'Pret' to be a great and affordable place to have a quick bite. As I recall however they do not have bathrooms in the UK (at least not in London). In New York they do and the stores are much larger in NYC.

It won't last. Unless they sell fried chicken, which seems to be a booming business in Toronto. Panera Bread and Potbelly sandwiches, tried entering the Canadian market and failed.

It won't last. Unless they sell fried chicken, which seems to be a booming business in Toronto. Panera Bread and Potbelly sandwiches, tried entering the Canadian market and failed.

Umm, Panera is still here; there are 4 of them operating in the GTA.

It's not very good...........which is probably why it hasn't taken off, but I digress

Irrespective of the merits of the Pret-concept, A&W Canada has a pretty good track record in the Canadian market.

I say that as someone who really isn't their patron; but I still admire the business savvy in exponentially growing their marketshare.

Probably not. I have eaten in them (or from them) when in UK and elsewhere; their prepared food is better than average for a 'restaurant' of that type but ..... I would say quality (and price) are above Tim Hortons.

Seconded. I ate at Prets more than at any other chain when I lived in both London and NYC -- they are everywhere in both. Dramatically higher quality than Timmie's, and I would say better than Starbucks on average, as well.

So I am very excited about their entry into the Toronto market, though I'm not really sure from the press release how exactly it will roll out; like, what does it mean to be doing it through A&W? Is A&W just going to have, like, a fridge on display at some of their stores with Pret products? Or are they going to be dedicating some of their existing real estate portfolio to opening standalone stores (I hope it's the latter, of course)?

Seconded. I ate at Prets more than at any other chain when I lived in both London and NYC -- they are everywhere in both. Dramatically higher quality than Timmie's, and I would say better than Starbucks on average, as well.

So I am very excited about their entry into the Toronto market, though I'm not really sure from the press release how exactly it will roll out; like, what does it mean to be doing it through A&W? Is A&W just going to have, like, a fridge on display at some of their stores with Pret products? Or are they going to be dedicating some of their existing real estate portfolio to opening standalone stores (I hope it's the latter, of course)?

It's hard not to be dramatically higher in quality than Tims, and Starbucks "food" is kinda not great in general anyways. It would be weird to have a Pret fridge in an A&W store - considering what the customers would be looking for in an A&W.

AoD

Last edited:
Seconded. I ate at Prets more than at any other chain when I lived in both London and NYC -- they are everywhere in both.

No offense to Pret's........but you're messing w/my image of you as the Terroni roof-top patio guy.

Dramatically higher quality than Timmie's, and I would say better than Starbucks on average, as well.

That's a very low bar indeed! LOL Which is not to unduly diminish Pret.

No inside info on this (yet) .......but my perception would certainly be that this is about stand-alone stores. A&W is structured as an income fund, and is looking for an additional stream of revenue beyond its core concept.

Last edited:
BlogTO has a piece up, not much new info.......except to say, that they confirmed the pilot phase will include the GTA (as expected)

1635460102432.png

Is A&W just going to have, like, a fridge on display at some of their stores with Pret products?

Huh. Unfortunately, it seems like this may be the case based on comments from A&W’s CEO in this article:

Susan Senecal, President and CEO of A&W, said the partnership with Pret allows the foodservice giant to test offering the best of Pret at A&W restaurants in about 12 to 15 locations starting in 2022 “to introduce Canadians to the great taste, the great ingredients and the great products that Pret offers.”

“We’re still in the early part of development of exactly how it’s going to look and that will come to life as we start to introduce this in the year to come. We want to give a piece of the experience as well. So it will be not only products but experience and we’ll have some dedicated areas that will really feature the menu items from Pret so that people can easily pick them up and get ready for their day.”

Back