News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Once again, I'm sorry, that fact that there's even an argument that his legal proposals may not have even been accepted disqualifies this name change idea. He was a man of his time. What's more, no one will ever attain the unassailable status we expect- Did she smile at everyone,, did he always drive at or below the speed limit. How about his family? Hopefully he never swore. It looks like numbers will be the only way forward

Yes I am going to repeat myself - slavery was abolished. Those people nearly 200 years ago decided it wasn't a good thing. Those supposedly all-powerful white men failed to continue slavery. Dundas Street Toronto Canada is more than some random old colonial hack, it is what it is because of Toronto, not the Dundas family. Why can't we take the good that is real and move on?

Not going to happen...

People in Toronto think Dundas Street should be renamed after former mayor Rob Ford
https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/07/people-toronto-dundas-renamed-mayor-rob-ford/
From link.

Now that the City of Toronto is officially moving forward with the $6-ish million task of renaming Dundas Street and all related assets that bear the moniker of Henry Dundas, the 18th-century Scottish politician with ties to slavery, people are coming up with all sorts of suggestions for what to call the thoroughfare instead.

Many argue that the name of a notable BIPOC woman from history would be particularly fitting, while others feel a simple swap to "Dondas" would make the most sense.

One of the more recent alternatives put forth that is getting a bit of traction with the masses is notably less appealing than either of the above, though surely more reasonable than naming the roadway after a random racist historical figure with no relevance to Toronto: naming it for former mayor Rob Ford.

Yes, a new petition is circulating that advocates for Rob Ford Street, Rob Ford Station and Rob Ford Square — not really roll-off-the-tongue material — in honour of the late politician who many would say was not exactly the best representation of Toronto.

"Mayor John Tory and Toronto City Council went woke and voted in favour of renaming Dundas Street, along with other public amenities using the same name because Dundas St. is 'racist,'" the Change.org appeal reads — somewhat predictably, perhaps, for someone who believes yet another problematic, powerful white man would be a suitable namesake.

"Let's get Dundas Street renamed to honour the greatest Mayor in our city's history! Mayor Rob Ford!"

Though it's quite unclear whether the idea is in earnest or a complete joke, it has garnered nearly 1,000 signatures thus far, albeit over the course of a whole two weeks.

Other related proposals floating around the internet right now include "Rob Ford Sucks Street" and "The Ford Family Equals Poo Poo Street."

Has anyone asked Mississauga, Burlington, Oakville, and Hamilton councils about renaming their portions?

I hate streets which change names at arbitrary places (municipal borders are arbitrary).

This would be the perfect outcome to this nonsense.

A perfect way to bring this nonsense to a close.

Under no circumstances should Rob Ford be 'honoured' by this City; but if the thought of that stifles this idea; then bring the thought (but not the action) forward.

Has anyone asked Mississauga, Burlington, Oakville, and Hamilton councils about renaming their portions?

I hate streets which change names at arbitrary places (municipal borders are arbitrary).

In Hamilton, most of what was named Dundas Street goes by “Governor’s Road.” Given it was one of the original streets ordered built by Simcoe, it works. They would only really need to deal with other things named for Dundas, including a school, conservation area, and neighbourhood.

Virtue signaling (like renaming Dundas or tearing down statues) is more about moral postering about sensitivity over truth.

I very rarely wade into anything on this site than transportation but in this case I had too.

I find this whole notion about renaming everything as utterly absurd. I bet 99% of Torontonians had absolutely no idea that the road was named after a person but rather being the road that took you to Dundas Ont. Alas, some racial Drama Queens got involved to change the name of a historic street and the politician lapdogs fell for it.

Where exactly does this end? Are the suggested name replacements mean the people themselves are to be held to today's standards as well? I guess that means than any one of these people must also have been advocating SSM, reproductive choice, and have no religious beliefs at all lest they hurt someone's feelings................good luck with that. If they decide to do that practically every street in the city will have to be renamed. Hell, you better start thinking for a new name for your city. After all Toronto is a native word for "the meeting place" in reference to all the rivers that converge there...........cultural appropriation don't ya know.

There are many Dundas Streets in Ontario and the most noteworthy being in my hometown of London. It starts at the Thames, is the centre of downtown and heads east to {you guesses it}, the town of Dundas. I hope London isn't stupid enough to follow Toronto's lead.

Kindness is the excuse those of the WOKE use whenever they want to exercise control over what other people do or say.​

Why not to re-name Dundas to Dundas? I am sure there are quite a few good people with a last name Dundas... We can have a couple of memorial plaque placed in strategic places (e.g., Dundas Square, TTC station) that would describe "a good Dundas" deeds. Not my original idea, but I think the solution might shoot two birds with one stone: save money and remove bad association..
The specifics of a grievance are beside the point. Among the Woke, tearing down statutes and renaming streets are deeply intertwined with identify. Ironically, however, the more one obsesses with identity, the less identity one has.

Hmmmm….I recall how much he embraced and supported the LGBTQ communities and Pride *sarcasm*. So, they rename it after him only to change the name again a tear 😢 and a year later after they “investigated” his background?! Really?!

Last edited:
“You will hear City Council talk about changing the name of streets or the removal of historical statues, but there’s little effort made to rid the streets of the gun crime that victimizes children.” joe Warmington

Back