News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

William Davis passed today. Name it after him. Best premier the province ever had. No skeletons there or we’d have heard of them by now. Met him once at the ROM…I was there with my grade 4 students. He approached us (maybe 80ish years old at the time). He asked the kids about school and really wanted to know their thoughts. He was kind, thoughtful, warm, engaging, and interested. He did so many great things for Ontario and was widely respected by all political parties…even Pierre Trudeau. He stopped the Spadina Expressway from destroying our inner city. I vote we name it after him.

William Davis passed today. Name it after him. Best premier the province ever had. No skeletons there or we’d have heard of them by now. Met him once at the ROM…I was there with my grade 4 students. He approached us (maybe 80ish years old at the time). He asked the kids about school and really wanted to know their thoughts. He was kind, thoughtful, warm, engaging, and interested. He did so many great things for Ontario and was widely respected by all political parties…even Pierre Trudeau. He stopped the Spadina Expressway from destroying our inner city. I vote we name it after him.
Thankfully, Bill Davis was no Doug Ford. Bill Davis was the best Ontario Premier, in my lifetime. Doug Ford was and is the worst Ontario Premier. Despite both being Progressive Conservatives.

Okay, Mike Harris may beat out Doug Ford as being the worst.

Last edited:

A white man? It'll be a tough sell to the woketivists.

A white man? It'll be a tough sell to the woketivists.
I’m not white…I’m Metis. Have been all my 60 years. 😉. i just retired recently but continue to work as an occasional teacher. I was raised in a multicultural home where racism was deplored. I’ve promoted multiculturalism and anti racism all my life….I was ”woke” before most “wokists” were born. Greatness and integrity aren’t the names of something you find in a Crayola box. Bill Davis had both and I as a non white welcome that “tough sell” argument the “wokists” might try head on. 😊

I’m not white…I’m Metis. Have been all my 60 years. 😉. i just retired recently but continue to work as an occasional teacher. I was raised in a multicultural home where racism was deplored. I’ve promoted multiculturalism and anti racism all my life….I was ”woke” before most “wokists” were born. Greatness and integrity aren’t the names of something you find in a Crayola box. Bill Davis had both and I as a non white welcome that “tough sell” argument the “wokists” might try head on. 😊

Anti-racism is the dream any reasonable, thinking person would wish to work toward in a multicultural society. Especially since oppression based on race has defined a lot of our national history (first and foremost against first nations communities). And one could also argue Christian European immigrants to Canada have traditionally had an easier time integrating into a societal structure originally set up for white Anglo-Saxon male property-owning colonists (hence street names named after 19th century British parliamentarians).

The woke movement, for all its good intentions, is not about anti-racism, however. Anti-racism is about working to diminish the construct of "race", particularly insomuch as it may create barriers between people in society. Wokism, on the contrary, is about elevating "race" as the single defining characteristic of each and every individual's life. Specifically, it's about drawing a line around so-called "white" people as a monolithic group of privileged oppressors. Everyone who is not "white" is a "BIPOC", that is, someone who's entire identity as a human being living on planet earth - is subsumed into a collective identity of being "NOT white" and as such, someone who is oppressed by "white" people. Casting society along this divide flies in the face of anti-racism, and instead grafts the worst assumptions of South African apartheid and the antebellum South (white people as a privileged caste and everyone else, an exploited underclass) onto 21st century multi-ethnic middle-class Canadian society wherein the reality of life is much more complex and nuanced.

Wokism frowns on multilogues about shared values, societal goals, and the shared experience of being a human being unless it is predicated on a collective, and often performative acknowledgment of and the roles defined in the overarching white vs. BIPOC narrative. The problem is that most people, including would-be "BIPOCs" such as yourself, see the limitations presented by this vast oversimplification in their everyday lived experiences and don't subscribe to the latest decrees from (usually white, usually privileged) middle-class liberal arts graduates. 🤷‍♂️

There is already a street named for Davis, off Don Mills Road leading to Seneca College. There is also a trail/park named for him at Ontario Place. Brampton has a public school, Sheridan College campus, and a courthouse named for him too, and University of Waterloo has a major building with his name.

We don't need that many things named for him.

Anti-racism is the dream any reasonable, thinking person would wish to work toward in a multicultural society. Especially since oppression based on race has defined a lot of our national history (first and foremost against first nations communities). And one could also argue Christian European immigrants to Canada have traditionally had an easier time integrating into a societal structure originally set up for white Anglo-Saxon male property-owning colonists (hence street names named after 19th century British parliamentarians).

The woke movement, for all its good intentions, is not about anti-racism, however. Anti-racism is about working to diminish the construct of "race", particularly insomuch as it may create barriers between people in society. Wokism, on the contrary, is about elevating "race" as the single defining characteristic of each and every individual's life. Specifically, it's about drawing a line around so-called "white" people as a monolithic group of privileged oppressors. Everyone who is not "white" is a "BIPOC", that is, someone who's entire identity as a human being living on planet earth - is subsumed into a collective identity of being "NOT white" and as such, someone who is oppressed by "white" people. Casting society along this divide flies in the face of anti-racism, and instead grafts the worst assumptions of South African apartheid and the antebellum South (white people as a privileged caste and everyone else, an exploited underclass) onto 21st century multi-ethnic middle-class Canadian society wherein the reality of life is much more complex and nuanced.

Wokism frowns on multilogues about shared values, societal goals, and the shared experience of being a human being unless it is predicated on a collective, and often performative acknowledgment of and the roles defined in the overarching white vs. BIPOC narrative. The problem is that most people, including would-be "BIPOCs" such as yourself, see the limitations presented by this vast oversimplification in their everyday lived experiences and don't subscribe to the latest decrees from (usually white, usually privileged) middle-class liberal arts graduates. 🤷‍♂️
Thank you for articulating that. Very well said. 🙂

I heard a good one from a shop keeper down the street from where I live. He said they should name it after Jack Layton (I know there’s already the ferry terminal)… but he said if we did then we’d have “Jack, Queen, King”….😂

Thank you for articulating that. Very well said. 🙂

I heard a good one from a shop keeper down the street from where I live. He said they should name it after Jack Layton (I know there’s already the ferry terminal)… but he said if we did then we’d have “Jack, Queen, King”….😂
We already have an "Ace" Lane.

lol…didn’t know we had a Knight…..what game do we go to for names after Rook and Pawn….we could shorten PArklaWN to cover one….and bROOKlynn in South Riverdale to cover the other…🤣…….

lol…didn’t know we had a Knight…..what game do we go to for names after Rook and Pawn….we could shorten PArklaWN to cover one….and bROOKlynn in South Riverdale to cover the other…🤣…….
Lol…don’t lose me on this this discussion by suggesting Canasta, Gin Rummy, Mah Jong, or Bridge 😊

Back