News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

October 23
DJI_0017.JPG
DJI_0014.JPG
DJI_0015.JPG
DJI_0024.JPG
DJI_0013.JPG

I've been in the USA for the past three weeks on a work related trip, and noticed that from reading various forums on UrbanToronto my viewpoint of certain aspects of American urbanization and transportation is viewed from changing perspectives. Harder to get an in depth perspective from the location of various business parks I have been in, but interesting never the less.

So this morning I was driving eastbound into city along the QEW. From a rather low vantage point, I noted that lane shifting in the westbound lanes has taken effect at Mississauga Road. allowing for further median work, which is underway . There is much work being done on the east bound and westbound approaches to the new bridge spans to allow for the introduction of new traffic flows. The spans themselves appear to be in position now, although I cannot see if other work is ongoing re preparation for the bridge deck.

Further east bound, and slightly off topic, the median work for the new Dixie road overpass has advanced i.e. the columns are in place and the column cap is underway. I am not sure if this will be twinned in the future when the old bridge is pulled down, but probably?. Much service work on the surrounding approaches continues.

And then the approaches to the Evans Avenue exit (towards Sherway Gardens) appear to be in the final stages of cleanup for paving, along with noise barriers and related work. The median also appears to be in the final stages of pouring concrete for traffic barriers. Again I believe that as this work completes, lane shifting in the westbound lanes will occur and work on the northerly side of the approaches to the S. Service Road and exits to Dixie will recommence.

I did have some time one afternoon, and as there was a shop nearby, I dropped in to look at camera drones. I had some advice from others but the owner told me emphatically that the DJI Mavic 3 was the way to go. Pricey apparently but equipped with an upgraded camera. The drone work on UT is really impressive and interesting. From a personal use point of view. the use of drones in agriculture are increasing as well in a number of ways so a potential win win.

I've been in the USA for the past three weeks on a work related trip, and noticed that from reading various forums on UrbanToronto my viewpoint of certain aspects of American urbanization and transportation is viewed from changing perspectives. Harder to get an in depth perspective from the location of various business parks I have been in, but interesting never the less.

So this morning I was driving eastbound into city along the QEW. From a rather low vantage point, I noted that lane shifting in the westbound lanes has taken effect at Mississauga Road. allowing for further median work, which is underway . There is much work being done on the east bound and westbound approaches to the new bridge spans to allow for the introduction of new traffic flows. The spans themselves appear to be in position now, although I cannot see if other work is ongoing re preparation for the bridge deck.

Further east bound, and slightly off topic, the median work for the new Dixie road overpass has advanced i.e. the columns are in place and the column cap is underway. I am not sure if this will be twinned in the future when the old bridge is pulled down, but probably?. Much service work on the surrounding approaches continues.

And then the approaches to the Evans Avenue exit (towards Sherway Gardens) appear to be in the final stages of cleanup for paving, along with noise barriers and related work. The median also appears to be in the final stages of pouring concrete for traffic barriers. Again I believe that as this work completes, lane shifting in the westbound lanes will occur and work on the northerly side of the approaches to the S. Service Road and exits to Dixie will recommence.

I did have some time one afternoon, and as there was a shop nearby, I dropped in to look at camera drones. I had some advice from others but the owner told me emphatically that the DJI Mavic 3 was the way to go. Pricey apparently but equipped with an upgraded camera. The drone work on UT is really impressive and interesting. From a personal use point of view. the use of drones in agriculture are increasing as well in a number of ways so a potential win win.
For the record, the new Dixie Rd Overpass is a twin bridge as an 4 lane road.

Some weeks ago, shot the Etobicoke Creek Bridge area and only a few weeks from completion for the whole area.

From the EDCO website and their project gallery, i grabbed two photos. One entitled 'Girder Launch Equipment' and the other ' Girder Launch - Credit River West Bank'. Both show equipment used in moving the assembled sections of the girders across the Credit from the east bank to the west. But exactly how they do that is not clear to me, nor is the large box section that is assembled for the move, and then disassembled as the girder reaches its final position spanning the Credit. Part of this shows in red in the second photo.

I can tell you emphatically the store owner was trying to get you to buy the most expensive drone in the stockroom. The Mavic 3 is pretty much unflyable in the GTA without the advanced RPAS license and the Transport Canada fines are steep for violations. Until the rules change again, a 250 gram aircraft is the way to go. 99 percent of what I post is taken with my sub 250gram DJI Mini2. I did try a DJI Mini3pro but the quality control from DJI has been a disaster this year and even with two late summer builds I had to send both back owing to image quality problems or flight control issues. Maybe next year will be better but for now I will keep racking up the hours on my Mini2.

Hopefully when I get back from a trip to the states in Mid December I will have some good weather to shoot the QEW projects as it will have been a while and I have noticed a lot of changes since my last posts.

I can tell you emphatically the store owner was trying to get you to buy the most expensive drone in the stockroom. The Mavic 3 is pretty much unflyable in the GTA without the advanced RPAS license and the Transport Canada fines are steep for violations. Until the rules change again, a 250 gram aircraft is the way to go. 99 percent of what I post is taken with my sub 250gram DJI Mini2. I did try a DJI Mini3pro but the quality control from DJI has been a disaster this year and even with two late summer builds I had to send both back owing to image quality problems or flight control issues. Maybe next year will be better but for now I will keep racking up the hours on my Mini2.

Hopefully when I get back from a trip to the states in Mid December I will have some good weather to shoot the QEW projects as it will have been a while and I have noticed a lot of changes since my last posts.
Thanks Tim. I believe you are absolutely correct. I heard a lot about the Hasselblad camera, flying time etc. etc. But we have a lot of work to do before a purchase. In the meantime I'll just keep enjoying your photos.

From the EDCO website and their project gallery, i grabbed two photos. One entitled 'Girder Launch Equipment' and the other ' Girder Launch - Credit River West Bank'. Both show equipment used in moving the assembled sections of the girders across the Credit from the east bank to the west. But exactly how they do that is not clear to me, nor is the large box section that is assembled for the move, and then disassembled as the girder reaches its final position spanning the Credit. Part of this shows in red in the second photo.
It's my understanding the Mammoet hydraulic equipment at the east abutment slowly pushes the girders across and rollers are placed on the piers and abutments to make this smoother. The additional red structure attached at the west end of the girders is lifted by a crane when they are moving to prevent the girders from sagging too much as they cross the span.

Any engineers on here that can better describe this?

December 17th
The original westbound lanes bridge over Mississauga road was demolished today. Signage would have been helpful since there was nothing southbound on Mississauga road at Dundas, nor on the westbound QEW from Hurontario, that I could see. The right turn lane from the QEW westbound exit ramp wasn't even coned off so all that traffic had to turn left and Mississauga road is just single lane. The police blocking access across all lanes of the road at the off ramp intersection could have, you know, got out of the cruiser and actually directed traffic, but no. This closure was quite poorly handled and communicated. I didn't even hear anything on 680 News about it. Many people, like me, were also caught up in it.

DJI_0493.JPG
DJI_0495.JPG
DJI_0500.JPG

• MTO
  • Queen Elizabeth Way Fort Erie bound on-ramp at Mississauga Road: all lanes closed until Aug. 1, 2023 at 10:59 p.m tonight.

• MTO
  • Queen Elizabeth Way Fort Erie bound on-ramp at Mississauga Road: all lanes closed until Aug. 1, 2023 at 10:59 p.m tonight.
Is that an extension to the closure date? It's been closed for so long I can't recall when it was supposed to reopen.

Is that an extension to the closure date? It's been closed for so long I can't recall when it was supposed to reopen.
That is the current date as of the 27th as noted in the Star and the first I have seen so far. I am not following the closure dates as it doesn't effect me as well it a blue moon when I will be in the area in the first place. Leave it to others who know more than me.

Driving by the bridge today. It appears as if they have installed one of those finishing machines for laying and working cement into the deck formwork on one of the truss sections. But I do not think they are anywhere near that point in construction in terms of the more traditional methods of rebar and formwork. So now I am wondering if they are going to use some form of composite formwork to speed up the process.

I'll put it on the list for a flyover if we get some decent weather on the weekend. Sunday looks grim right now :(

Driving by the bridge today. It appears as if they have installed one of those finishing machines for laying and working cement into the deck formwork on one of the truss sections. But I do not think they are anywhere near that point in construction in terms of the more traditional methods of rebar and formwork. So now I am wondering if they are going to use some form of composite formwork to speed up the process.
Flew it today and this is what it looks like. I'll post more later.
1674330340367.jpeg

Do drones have a time lapse mode? It would be neat if there were a way to send it to the same place, same camera angle, on multiple trips, to take a shot for later compilation into a video...

Back