News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Why does it take 18 months to build 800 metres!? They are simply closing a lane of traffic and planting a few trees.

@skube No kidding; how did Spain build 100km of metro in a couple years around the millennium, and then simple projects in Ontario (not just Toronto) take years.

I used to live on Queens Quay. It was effectively 2 lanes at all times because the taxis are constantly blocking 1 lane on each side. I hope they stop them from blocking the street - otherwise this will become a parking lot.

In any case, I'm willing to bit the final bill is at least twice as much. I watched them build the H20 park on Queens Quay - a crew of 10 guys would spend an entire day "working" - and plant 1 tree in that entire day.

Last edited:
Thank God they are doing this (however slowly)! In a few years' time you might actually be able to ride your bicycle all the way from Etobicoke to Hanlan's Point without once being ejected into the narrow potholed death trap that is Queen's Quay.

Will be great to see when done, especially along with the York Quay Revitalization project, apparently to be done in the same timeframe.

18 months to build! Amd they're not even going to staart it until next ydear. Will I live to see this stuff?

This from the WT Board meeting on 2 February is not encouraging.

Queens Quay
The Long Term Funding Plan currently has funding for only an 800-metre portion of the 1,350 metre stretch of Queens Quay from Spadina to Bay. After extensive study and consultation with City staff, it has been determined that there are insurmountable logistical problems and additional costs associated with phasing the construction of the first segment, such as temporary vehicular cross-over conditions, coordination with the TTC reconstruction project, remobilization costs, and an extended period of construction disruption. Therefore Queens Quay Segment 1 must be built in its entirety, which requires additional funding if this project is to proceed.WT received timely and constructive comments from all City Departments and Agencies on the 30% Design Submission delivered to Technical Services in December. WT is now working productively with each department to resolve issues and concerns raised, particularly with respect to their concerns about phased implementation and a structure for cost-sharing of new utilities.
The prequalification for the Construction Manager for Queens Quay was completed and five contractors have been shortlisted. The RFP will be released in January and it is anticipated that we will have a contractor on board by the end of February, 2011. The Construction Managers will advise the team throughout the pre-construction period on project phasing/staging, schedule, procurement, approvals, and other logistical matters critical to preparing for a fall construction start.

See also: http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/capital_approval___queens_quay_construction_1.pdf

Last edited:
It seems that the Queens Quay revitalization project is still stalled. I thought this project was to be completed by now but there is no sign of anything happening yet. Looks like another wasted tourist season will pass before any progress is made, if ever.

Back