8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

ceaz40

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto, and the GTA for that matter, has a large number of high rise “nodes” throughout. I’m curious if members know if this is unique to our urban area, or if they know of a similar occurrence in any other North American cities. Where does Toronto or GTA stand in comparison?

The only comparable I can imagine off the top of my head is Tokyo. They purposefully built their city around high density "local city" nodes (Shinjuku, Shibuya City etc) that eventually expanded and merged into one megapolis.

Vancouver comes to mind as their suburbs also tend to have highrise nodes built up as well.

Same with NYC, especially in the recent decade or so as Long Island City in Queens, downtown Brooklyn and Jersey City have emerged as growing nodes surrounding Manhattan.

In we're going into Asia, then that would be pretty common with many large cities. Hong Kong being another prime example. But you could really rhyme off other places easily as it's a petty prevalent urban built form concept all around.

Reactions: DSC
I believe the metro area of Miami would qualify, and has for several decades in the past like Toronto. It certainly has unique circumstances that have led to that evolution, but it is still similar in end result.

Back