unobstructed W views but noisier since closer to Bathurst and possibly smellier if the slaughterhouse is still there.

I shouldn't be worried aobut the slaughterhouse. EX: If DNA residents can accept the smell where in point of fact DNA is much closer to the slaughterhouse and DNA resale condos are selling for great prices. I do think people already accept the downtown living style for noise and no view issues. I believe most of the purchasers are first time buyers and prices are more important to them. That's why Reve got sold out 90% in the first day on Saturday's Grand Opening. I don't see anything wrong for this project, Prices are attractive to King West location and TTC is a minute away.

Last edited:
Does anybody have an idea what the "smell zone" is for the slaughterhouse typically?
All of Front St. West as far as Spadina. The whole area on Niagara St. and Wellington surrounding the abattoir west of Bathurst is bad, but I find it's absolutely the worst at Bathurst & Front, right at the bridge and directly north and east of it. Whatever replaces that car dealership at the corner is completely screwed until that factory is gone, and this building won't be much better off, imo.

Front Street West also suffers from sewage stench sometimes. Aside from the smell, the street is unbelievably bleak, but developments like this will improve it over the next 10 years.

Last edited:
I think the Concord Parade will be constructed south of front st (SE of Reve), hoping it will spice up the area a little bit.

If you're implying that the diverse ethnic cooking of ~3,000 occupants in Parade will spice up the area's sewage odour, then you are correct.

I think we need some resturants or at least a grocery around there. (the Sobeys and Lablaws dont count) Something closer.

Does anyone know whether the Reve Contract has more hidden costs than usual? My lawyer said that Tridel even wants to pass on their lawyer admin costs to the purchaser.. is this normal??? and also, Tridel wants the purchaser to pay for the installation of the metering? Is that normal too? is that something i should be fighing against if possible?

Thanks!

I think we need some resturants or at least a grocery around there. (the Sobeys and Lablaws dont count) Something closer.

Does anyone know whether the Reve Contract has more hidden costs than usual? My lawyer said that Tridel even wants to pass on their lawyer admin costs to the purchaser.. is this normal??? and also, Tridel wants the purchaser to pay for the installation of the metering? Is that normal too? is that something i should be fighing against if possible?

Thanks!

There is nothing can be hidden on the Contract. If I were you that I would like to hire a real estate lawyer review the purchase agreement within the 10 days cooling period to clarify your misunderstanding. Legal fees and meter installation fees are pretty normal. Please keep in mind, there are builders charged education levy, development levy, law society levy, water meter installation fee etc. You will need to pay more closing costs if you buy a unit from Daniels homes, Concord Adex-City Place in comparing to Tridel. Also, you would need to consider selling agent commission 4% or 5% if you want to resale the unit after final closing. Now you would know why resale condos price are higher than preconstruction condos in general.

Hope below information would help you understand there are additional costs at final closing:

Beyond the actual purchase price of the home, there are other costs associated with buying a new home. These are called closing costs and usually are about 2% of the total cost of your home.

Based on a $200,000 condominium in the GTA - some estimated amounts are:

Tarion Warranty Corporation enrollment fee- $520 approx.
Land Transfer Tax $1,725
Legal Fees $750 - $1,500 plus disbursements
Home insurance approx. $450/ year
Hydro Meter (if applicable) $450 - $600

You will also need to allocate costs for moving, storage and decorating in your "new house" budget.

Last edited:
Correct but the building is entirely immediately to the west of the site, so not sure why NW or NE is being used. If Context builds what they are contemplating, nearly all west views are essentially courtyard views as the Context building will be in your face, only a few metres off the property line. Look at the rendering. It is a huge massing.

Jenny, the bottom line is that if Tridel builds by summer 2011, it will likely be 2014 or 2015 before the context building is built, if at all. That gives you potentially 3 or 4 years of a view before it disappears at the earliest.

According to Context's proposal, will City allow a building like that just a few metres off the property line, leave all residents in Reve's west side face an at east 17-to-10-floor-high wall?

It would be way nicer if the building is just along the Niagara/Bathurst/Front side walk (C shape) and leave a courtyard in the middle, instead of a full circle shows in the proposal. But somebody mentioned the project must be over 600 units to make it profitable...

The Front/Bathurst people can build right up to the property line if they want to. Code doesn't allow for windows along that side of Tridel's property, unless they sufficiently set back from the line on their lot. I'm not sure what "sufficiently" is, but either way, it's up to Tridel to make this work, assuming a wall along the property line from the next lot.

The Front/Bathurst people can build right up to the property line if they want to. Code doesn't allow for windows along that side of Tridel's property, unless they sufficiently set back from the line on their lot. I'm not sure what "sufficiently" is, but either way, it's up to Tridel to make this work, assuming a wall along the property line from the next lot.

Does this mean if the east side of Context's building doesn't have any window facing Tridel's property, they can build right up to the property line?

I think it's extremely unlikely that a blank wall would be built on the property line right up next to Reve's windows. That would be pretty hostile on Context's part, and they have a reputation for being conscientious about their surroundings.

I can't think of a recent example where one developer has done this to another.

But can you think of an example where a developer built windows facing their property line without much setback?

But can you think of an example where a developer built windows facing their property line without much setback?

Tridel setback for about 25 feet from 2nd floor (1st floor where amenities locate is right up to the line). Not sure if it's conscientious enough but the design is inherited from previous ALOFT hotel (the land should be still commercial zone at the moment I think) and the basement was already poured when Tridel took over.

My friend who bought a 1br unit in west side on last Saturday is really scared by Context's proposal. Any idea the chance the building will be built like that? If not how the building will mostly look like considering Reve is already there?

Much appreciated.

I have no idea, and was merely trying to illustrate the worst case permitted by law, but as you said, Context tends to be a sensitive developer (if they are still handling that client), and Adam Vaughan (the local councillor) tends to be fairly effective in putting pressure on developers to play nice.

I think cautious optimism is probably the way to go here.

Back