8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

ArcticS

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted before or not, but does anyone know what the plans are for the parking lot just east of the Harbour View Estates buildings, south side of Rogers Centre?

Also, the Cityplace sales centre at the corner of Blue Jays Way and Bremner. Any idea what is planned for that area?

There was a proposal for a senior's residence, however the Blue Jays/Rogers Centre fought it and as far as I know the project is in limbo or cancelled.

Locations of Block #s

you were referring to this link AKS??

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/ah/bgrd/backgroundfile-4344.pdf

for clarification of blocks discussed in this report:

Blocks 32+36 refer to the parccel containing TCHC proposal west of Parade
Block 31 refers to the parcel west of N1/West One
Block 18C refers to lands immediately east of Harbour View Estates (currently used as coach bus parking)
Blocks 18A+18B refer to the parcel currently containing the Enwave building at the southwest corner of Bremner Boulevard + Rees Street

In essence this 2007 report recommended that TCHC/City sell blocks 18A+18B for development to generate $$ to build public housing on Blocks 31+32+36 ... there was a proposal to build a senior residence on Blocks 18A+18B at one time like billy_corgan said above, but there have been no further news on that for a LONGGGGG time

Also, the Cityplace sales centre at the corner of Blue Jays Way and Bremner. Any idea what is planned for that area?

Concord Adex are planning to build their 'Signature Tower' here. I think it was approved for 69 floors or so, but the original design has been sent back to the drawing board. It can't be too much longer (one more year?) before we know what they propose it to look like. It is meant to be the last and tallest CityPlace tower.

I would hope the Signature tower would include at least a few stories of retail/office at the base.

Zoning for Block 18A + 18B

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2002/law0459.pdf

apparently there was a site specific rezoning on Blocks 18A+18B in 2002 whereby permitting maximum 20,000 sq.m. residential, whereas no residential GFA was permitted previously, but no word on whats happening to the bus parking lot piece (Block 18C)

map showing all block numbers in 'Railway Lands Central' can be found in page 5 of this this By-law

map showing all block numbers in 'Railway Lands West' can be found in page 12 of this this By-law

MODs ... can this thread be renamed to something like "Cityplace: Blocks 18A+18B+18C" :) ?

Why is it named Cityplace? The land belongs to TCHC. Unless Cityplace has plans to buy it.

Instead of CityPlace it should be "Railway Lands Central: Block 18". Concord did not have anything to do with this site. The applicant for the rezoning was the City, as shown in this Staff Report for Block 18A and 18B

City place is actually a somewhat historic name for the area, it was actually the name of the original modernist waterfront development that would have torn down Uninon station, the only part of this plan that was ever built is...the CN Tower, after crombie was elected mayor he cancled the rest of the plan, origionally the esplanade was supposed to be extended right to the base of the Tower.

Why is it named Cityplace? The land belongs to TCHC. Unless Cityplace has plans to buy it.

TCHC owns only Blocks 18A+18B, but not Block 18C which is where the bus parking lot is now.

Instead of CityPlace it should be "Railway Lands Central: Block 18". Concord did not have anything to do with this site. The applicant for the rezoning was the City, as shown in this Staff Report for Block 18A and 18B

thanks for finding the staff report marcus~ now I know where Bylaw 2002-0459 shown above came from ~

Cityplace is what I would consider as a 'community name' as one would call Queen West or Liberty Village ... even though parts of it may not be built by our beloved Concord Adex

City place is actually a somewhat historic name for the area, it was actually the name of the original modernist waterfront development that would have torn down Uninon station, the only part of this plan that was ever built is...the CN Tower, after crombie was elected mayor he cancelled the rest of the plan, origionally the esplanade was supposed to be extended right to the base of the Tower.

wow thanks for the info ... didn't know the history behind Cityplace ... I just know there are some old signs/logos + b/w photo displays in Union Station walking towards Skywalk that makes reference to Cityplace

ya im doing my masters in urban planning and it was in a book i had to read for class discussing the whole neighbourhood

City place is actually a somewhat historic name for the area, it was actually the name of the original modernist waterfront development that would have torn down Uninon station, the only part of this plan that was ever built is...the CN Tower, after crombie was elected mayor he cancled the rest of the plan, origionally the esplanade was supposed to be extended right to the base of the Tower.

Hmm. You sure about that, Fan #696? That mega-project was called "Metro Centre," not "City Place." The name CityPlace was a derivative from Grand Adex's Vancouver development, Pacific Place (and preceeded Park Place in North York... it's Park Place, right?)

Back