8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

BobBob

Member Bio
Reaction score
A few months ago, the MLS web site was completely redone with a new user interface and relaunched as realtor.ca. What are your thoughts on this new site?

I've been finding some aspects of it frustrating, but more importantly, I have found it to be extremely slow or just completely down alarmingly often.

I wonder whether this site relaunch is partially responsible for the slump in RE activity. As silly as that seems, I would not be surprised if it was a significant factor.

The old version was foolproof, the new version sucks. Perhaps one could learn to proper use it in a matter of minutes but it's just so cumbersome and slow that I haven't bothered.

I do like the mapped properties, though (that was one thing lacking in the old site, especially since some of the zone boundaries were horribly vague.

It's very slow and impossible to get an overview of listings in a given area resulting in frustration. I don't like it.

It's very slow and impossible to get an overview of listings in a given area resulting in frustration. I don't like it.

I thought the new site did this far better than the old? (it's possible I never figured out how powerful the old version was)

I thought what it did best was give an overview of listings in a given area? I love flying around my neighbourhood checking out what's for sale, though I wish they'd turn on Bird's Eye View in their maps.live.com widget.

What did the old MLS do that this one doesn't?

I prefer the new version to the old one because it gives you location of the sale site. The only negative is the slow loading like people have stated. The old one I found it frustrating trying to sift though so many pages.

I wonder if the new design contributing to the low sales, just as much as the economy.

Highly improbable. They probably started approaching companies for bids to have it done over a year ago. Maybe two years depending on the red tape they have to jump through and how much of the back end was changed to accommodate the new front end.

I find the new mls.ca to be on a similiar platform as zillow.com that has been in the states a couple years.....zillow posts previous sales price as well as current market values....would be great to have this data in one place for Canada too.

Good a concept. Nice layout.
I like being able to see what is available in a neighbourhood a a glance.
Unfortunately, it is so damn slow, I have stopped using it. Too frustrating.

I wrote a blog post about the new site when it launched back in July '08 here. The site generates very strong reactions from users. Over 300 comments and counting on this post!

It seems the most people hate the new site, but a minority actually prefer it.

My own two cents: it's time for the real estate industry to let go of the MLS data and let the free market create a real estate search site (or several) that the public actually wants. This is the only way consumers will ever get a site they deserve (public access to the data rather than tightly controlled by the industry).

No problem using it in firefox. Didn't find it overly slow though I mainly used the map functionality. I really loved that it would show me an overview of what was for sale on the map. You could see instantly if it was on a dead end street or right near a main street.

Back