News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The Golden Pidgeon, a German beer hall inspired pub, has recently opened along Parliament (bit north of Gerrard) in Cabbagetown:

The Golden Pidgeon, a German beer hall inspired pub, has recently opened along Parliament (bit north of Gerrard) in Cabbagetown:

Sounds worth a try, though I have never heard Parliament Street considered as "the east end". That has always been reserved for neighbourhoods located at least east of the Don, and usually also east of either the rail corridor and may be further east of one of the north/south streets like Carlaw, Leslie, or Greenwood.

Last edited:
Sounds worth a try, though I have never heard Parliament Street considered as "the east end". That has always been reserved for neighbourhoods located at least east of the Don, and usually also east of either the rail corridor and may be further east of one of the north/south streets like Carlaw, Leslie, or Greenwood.

I had precisely the same thought and wondered why they didn't just say "Cabbagetown"

I live on Sherbourne and call it the east end. Anything east of Yonge is the east end.

Say what you will but Sherbourne is Downtown Toronto. I can walk to Yonge from there.

The east end is East York and Scarborough. North York (and all its parts) is a separate entity. It really does not start until around Pape.

East York and Scarborough are suburbs. The east end is the eastern part of downtown, which starts at Yonge and ends at the river.

East York and Scarborough are suburbs. The east end is the eastern part of downtown, which starts at Yonge and ends at the river.
There is quite a long history of "east end" being used for the area from Leslieville-ish east to Victoria Park, and that doesn't include any of East York or Scarborough (though perhaps extends a sliver in to both), but mostly the eastern end of the old City of Toronto. They even have "Eastern Avenue" out there for a reason!

I notice media like CP24 still use "east end" in that manner to this day, like this story, and many others I found from this year.

Toronto police have released a surveillance video image of a suspect who allegedly assaulted three people in an east end store on Monday.
Police said they were called three times to an establishment in the area of Queen Street East and Bellefair Avenue, east of Woodbine Avenue

I mean you can try and change it, but it's going to confuse everyone who has only ever heard it to refer to the areas including the above for decades.

Last edited:
I would probably give a pass to people calling Leslieville the east end. And "Eastern" starts at Parliament!

Kingyo at Winchester & Parliament in Cabbagetown has reopened as Kingyo Fisherman's Market, which includes a marketplace for Japanese foods and products, along with a smaller dine-in restaurant space:

How much do you have to pay for a premium pairing? o_O

I am not surprised. Years ago, I had friends who worked at the One St Thomas Residences. The people who live there have more money than brains.

They gave the head of security a cheque for $25000, the shift leads $10000 and the lesser (Part-time and secondary) guards $5000 each for Christmas back in 2015. They can afford $1000 for dinner.

Back