News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It seems like establishments which didn't use to include tip options on their payment machines are now doing so, particularly fast food places. For example, I saw this at Bar Burrito in recent months.

Along with the higher prices on everything, makes me even less likely to eat out (I wasn't particularly active on this front even before COVID). Which sets off a vicious spiral, of course, as fewer patrons force restos to raise prices further.

The sector is going through a crazy squeeze and I'm saddened at the plight of independent/smaller restos. Not good for customer choice or the economy more broadly to only have big chains.

What are people's thoughts on tipping for a brewed coffee at a coffee shop, as opposed to say, a soy latte or macchiato? Does it matter?

I was in London, Uk for three weeks in March-April. I absolutely loved the tipping practice there. In pubs, you order your beer and your food at the bar, and pay the bill right there, zero tip. The publican pours your beer while you wait, asks where you’re seating, and someone brings your food to your table. If you want another beer or condiments you get up and get it yourself from the bar, again no tip. I assume the staff are sufficiently paid.

It seems like establishments which didn't use to include tip options on their payment machines are now doing so, particularly fast food places. For example, I saw this at Bar Burrito in recent months.

Along with the higher prices on everything, makes me even less likely to eat out (I wasn't particularly active on this front even before COVID). Which sets off a vicious spiral, of course, as fewer patrons force restos to raise prices further.

The sector is going through a crazy squeeze and I'm saddened at the plight of independent/smaller restos. Not good for customer choice or the economy more broadly to only have big chains.
I just assumed it was part of the payment software package; although perhaps they have the option of programming it out during set-up.
What are people's thoughts on tipping for a brewed coffee at a coffee shop, as opposed to say, a soy latte or macchiato? Does it matter?
You pay for the product, you tip for the service. I've only ever had POC (plain old coffee) but I suppose if some fancy creation is actually created by the server and not just dispensed, and you really like the end product, I guess why not (then again, how would you know until you tried it after paying for it). However, if it took 10 minutes to create, maybe not.

In most of Europe as well as Australia and NZ the practice is no tipping.

Staff are assumed to be properly paid employees, not reliant on gratuities.

We should do likewise.

One of the very few things for which I will give the Ford government credit was that they eliminated the lower 'tipped' minimum wage merging wait staff into the general rate.

To get rid of tipping though would likely require legislation; it would also, logically, be part of a move to a much higher minimum wage, in line w/Australia ~$21 CAD per hour.......... along
w/ensuring everyone has basic pharmacare and dentalcare irrespective of their employment/income.

Tipping is a bizarre practice, which we largely see here w/wait staff, hair stylists and cabbies, and hotel staff.........

Oddly we don't tip the dental hygienist, the bus driver, the dry cleaner or anyone else for simply doing their job properly.

We should be uniform in the notion that it is on the employer to provide an income and work experience to attract and retain competent staff.

The above said, if you've got extra money burning a hole in your pocket, its always nice to be kind (financially) to anyone in a low-wage job who is serving you if the circumstances permit.

I thought tipping was prominent in the UK? I know over there (UK/EU in general?) the price you see is the price you pay; vs we get dinged with taxes at the cashier which is really dumb.

You pay for the product, you tip for the service. I've only ever had POC (plain old coffee) but I suppose if some fancy creation is actually created... However, if it took 10 minutes to create...
As an OYGBYNGB coffee guy, I pray I'm not behind this person. They'd better tip me for my lost 10 mins.

I was in London, Uk for three weeks in March-April. I absolutely loved the tipping practice there. In pubs, you order your beer and your food at the bar, and pay the bill right there, zero tip. The publican pours your beer while you wait, asks where you’re seating, and someone brings your food to your table. If you want another beer or condiments you get up and get it yourself from the bar, again no tip. I assume the staff are sufficiently paid.

The UK is strict is with beer pint laws, a pint legally MUST be 20 oz. And the bartenders are trained how to properly pour a beer. (Go to a cooperate chain here and watch the young bartenders pour Guinness. It's an absolute train wreck! lol )

We have similar laws in Canada, but they aren't enforced. Most places don't even serve pints of beer, they serve beer in 16 oz glasses, which is an American pint. This is Canada, bring back the 20 oz pints! Enforce the fairness at the pumps act.

I'm all for paying workers higher wages, but i don't know if bars and restaurants could afford to put menu prices up again. They are working with such slim margins already, with an increase in food prices and fuel. Plus alcohol in Ontario is so ridiculously expensive. I have seen made in Ontario whiskey shipped all the way to Nevada, selling for half what the LCBO charges. The way it's going, people will just end up drinking at home or going to friends houses for social gatherings. Bring your own bottle. ( BYOB) its a hell of lot cheaper. My boyfriend and I started last year going over to a couples condo instead of meeting them at a bar. We bring a selection of craft beer or wine. We sit out on the balcony on the nice warm nights and solve the worlds problems. Makes for a great night out.

The way it's going, people will just end up drinking at home or going to friends houses for social gatherings. Bring your own bottle. ( BYOB) its a hell of lot cheaper. My boyfriend and I started last year going over to a couples condo instead of meeting them at a bar. We bring a selection of craft beer or wine. We sit out on the balcony on the nice warm nights and solve the worlds problems. Makes for a great night out.
That’s one of my favourite things to do in the city. Either sitting on the front porch or backyard with a glass of red wine and a mate or two, I never pay more than $10 a bottle at the LCBO.

As an OYGBYNGB coffee guy, I pray I'm not behind this person. They'd better tip me for my lost 10 mins.
Or the rare time I've been in a drive-thru, and hearing the meal order from the person ahead of me who obviously lost the lunch toss at work.

That's one of the (many) things that drive me nuts about Tim's. More and more of the menu has to be created or prepared, as opposed to simply served, and their staffing hasn't kept up - certainly for the one poor soul serving walk-in traffic.

Or the rare time I've been in a drive-thru, and hearing the meal order from the person ahead of me who obviously lost the lunch toss at work.

That's one of the (many) things that drive me nuts about Tim's. More and more of the menu has to be created or prepared, as opposed to simply served, and their staffing hasn't kept up - certainly for the one poor soul serving walk-in traffic.
Do you remember when banks would have one atm dedicated solely for cash withdrawls? I loved those things, allowing me to skip past the ninnies that didn’t know what they were doing.

Who's actually getting the tips in cafe's and fast-food places that pay minimum wage and up? Does the cashier get it? or person cooking the food? Do they do tips outs like normal sit down restaurants? Or do all the tips go to the owners pocket?

I have noticed in this post Covid world, fast food restaurants/coffee shops now have a default tip option on the debit machines, some are 15% but a lot start at 18% even 20%! 18% tip for a coffee I'm taking home or to work to drink? That's crazy.

Back