editor at large
Private-for-hire vehicles to operate in Calgary
You’ve asked for it and we’re delivering. Council today approved bylaw amendments to allow Transportation Network Companies (TNCs), such as Uber and Lyft, to operate in Calgary. With an amended bylaw now in place, the only outstanding item is the Province’s approval regarding insurance policies that cover TNC drivers.
In collaboration with citizens, the taxi and limousine industries and TNCs, we have moved quickly to develop and approve these bylaw changes.
Going forward, TNC drivers can operate in Calgary if they have:
- An annual operating licence from The City of Calgary;
- Valid Class 4 driver’s licence;
- Annual Calgary Police Service (CPS) criminal background check;
- Proof of valid commercial insurance as required by the Government of Alberta ;
- Proof of eligibility to work in Canada; and
- Proof of provincially-approved 134-point mechanical inspection conducted annually, or 50,000 km, whichever comes first.
These changes create the foundation for a robust transportation network. Our mandate is to support innovation while accounting for safety and reliability, with a customer focus. We know our fellow Calgarians welcome this new and safe option to our city and we are excited to go on this ride together. - See more at: http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2016...icles-to-operate-in.html#sthash.EZ42zKNY.dpuf