News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

They should never have fired him. Unless they had good reason to, I have no idea. From what I read, it was for restructuring of the company. Probably so they can play more Eminem and Nickelback.

RIP Martin Streek.

This is really sad to hear, more so than the news on MJ. Martin was the only one at the Edge that I enjoyed listening, followed by Barry Taylor. I gave up on the Edge because it really began to suck, and I had no idea till today that both of them were fired back in May. RIP Martin.

It is difficult to listen to the Edge these, and I certainly won't bother trying to listen again after this.

Martin really embodied CFNY. He started working for them as a teen for the "Road Show" and even had Spirit of Radio tattooed on his ass. He was passionate about music and a lexicon of information.

Sadly, he had to become part of the game and increasingly pretend he was excited about music that frankly sucked as CFNY piegeon-holed itself into some crappy post-grunge frat boy station around 1997.

I met Martin in person on more than a few occassions and he really was everything everyone says. A real presence, always excited about music, super friendly and always willing to help someone. I still have a "Phoenix" pin from Club 102 that he gave me 15 years ago so as I could by-pass the line as he knew I was a big supporter.

Ultimately, I'm not sure what was going on in his life to make him want to end it, but I'm sure Corus' firing played a role. I suspect he was a bit of a lost soul without having to go to CFNY everyday, even if it was no longer the CFNY that he loved and nurtured since his youth.

Really, if Martin's death means anything, it means the Sprit of Radio is truly dead. "Musical perfection" will live on though.

R.I.P. Martin Streek.

Last edited:
Real shame, I met him a couple times and he surprised me both times with how laid back and cool he was. I wonder if the Edge is even acknowledging it.

Real shame, I met him a couple times and he surprised me both times with how laid back and cool he was. I wonder if the Edge is even acknowledging it.

They mentioned it quite a bit today.

Josie was dedicating the nooner to him today. I didn't know he thought of Nine Inch Nails as musical perfection, but it makes sense.

Wow.. so many nights listening to him broadcast live from "Gurlington" or "the phoenix" in the car. Saw him in person a bunch of times too. It just wasn't a late Friday or Saturday night drive home without him. Music was always his first priority. RIP.

Sucks to here that BT got canned, he's a truly entertaining guy. I saw him at Yuk Yuks a few time and he had everyone in stitches.

WTF is going on at that station? Is Dean and Todd still on in the mornings?

WTF is going on at that station? Is Dean and Todd still on in the mornings?

Sadly, yes. They are both jokes, which is ironic because nothing they say is actually funny, just stupid. It's unfortunate that they are still on the radio and Martin and BT got pink slips.

I never liked the morning shows, not matter who hosts them. I just want to listen to music, but they just keep talking...

Back