News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Now for something different.

A popular sports broadcaster (Gary Lineker) was pulled from the air by BBC on Friday due to his criticism of the Sunak governments new policy on asylum seekers on social media (twitter).

The BEEBs argument is that it interfered with their mandate to be non-partisan, even though the comment did not come on a BBC platform, did not air, nor is he in the News division.

Well, Mr.Lineker is a popular fellow and this move managed to royally tick off his fellow sports presenters, who all summarily refused to work on Saturday (today) causing BBC to axe most of its sports coverage all day.

I don't know what to make of it. There was an Iranian refugee child who was put on tv to say he had the right to emigrate to the UK, even tho his parents paid people smugglers to get them thru 8 other countries before they illegally crossed the channel into England. The family has medical issues that will be treated on the NHS. I'm conflicted because clearly the family did NOT meet the criteria for refugee status - they were in other safe countries and they paid criminal gangs to move them around. I'm glad to hear his colleagues have stood up for him.

What makes this more interesting is that the Conservatives recently appointed a major donor, and chum of the PM as Chairman of the BBC. It is apparently ok for him to have political views but a free-lance sports commentator (who is highest paid BBC person) can't.

I don't know what to make of it. There was an Iranian refugee child who was put on tv to say he had the right to emigrate to the UK, even tho his parents paid people smugglers to get them thru 8 other countries before they illegally crossed the channel into England. The family has medical issues that will be treated on the NHS. I'm conflicted because clearly the family did NOT meet the criteria for refugee status - they were in other safe countries and they paid criminal gangs to move them around. I'm glad to hear his colleagues have stood up for him.
I can find no reputable reports if this. Source?

I found this survey in Economist today quite interesting; I suspect there might be a similar split along party lines here too.

UK attitudes.jpg

I don't think this should surprise anyone.

Money talks.

It shouldn't, but it does,and always has......

Among Hitler's largest financiers for rearmament were American banks, it actually took an Act of Congress to put that to an end.

This is all public and verified, btw.

In the Brit context, universities and/or researchers, accepted contributions from those willing to make them. One imagines, that in most cases, the contributor and ultimate purpose were known,
but were it otherwise, it was surely wilful blindness.

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's Conservative Party is set for a heavy defeat at a national election expected this year, according to a seat projection published on Wednesday which showed the opposition Labour Party winning more than 400 seats.

The YouGov model, which predicts results in individual parliamentary seats based on estimated vote share, projected that Sunak's Conservatives would win just 155 seats and Labour would win 403 seats. Britain's parliament has 650 seats. Polls have consistently given Labour a double digit lead over the Conservatives, ahead of an election which Sunak has said he expects to call in the second half of the year.

The Conservatives have been in government, either in coalition or on their own, since 2010, but have had five different prime ministers in that time, as Britain's vote to leave the European Union and scandal over the handling of the COVID crisis led to continued political turmoil.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-k-co...t-to-opposition-labour-survey-shows-1.6832007

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's Conservative Party is set for a heavy defeat at a national election expected this year, according to a seat projection published on Wednesday which showed the opposition Labour Party winning more than 400 seats.

The YouGov model, which predicts results in individual parliamentary seats based on estimated vote share, projected that Sunak's Conservatives would win just 155 seats and Labour would win 403 seats. Britain's parliament has 650 seats. Polls have consistently given Labour a double digit lead over the Conservatives, ahead of an election which Sunak has said he expects to call in the second half of the year.

The Conservatives have been in government, either in coalition or on their own, since 2010, but have had five different prime ministers in that time, as Britain's vote to leave the European Union and scandal over the handling of the COVID crisis led to continued political turmoil.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-k-co...t-to-opposition-labour-survey-shows-1.6832007
Wow who'd guessed that a government with an unelected head that stumbles from crisis to crisis and does the opposite of what its constituents ask for would quickly lose the patience of its electorate?

Wow who'd guessed that a government with an unelected head that stumbles from crisis to crisis and does the opposite of what its constituents ask for would quickly lose the patience of its electorate?

Kinda wish the LibDems were winning instead of Labour. Corbyn and Labour were also culpable with Brexit.

Back