News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'm not opposed to tolling the 413 as long it's a fairly reasonable rate. Something like $0.15/km or less.
15cents per km should be the peak rate. Make off-peak "free". They can keep the $1 per trip charge.
Lastly, scrap the video charge for transponder-less vehicles. How on earth is $4.20 justified when auto-tolling should've saved them money (through not hiring toll collectors)?

Yes a northern E-W route is needed but it doesn't need to be a 400 series highway. A provincial level highway like Hwy 9, would work just as well because all that's really needed is for there to be one continuous road with an 80 kph speed limit that a driver knows they can take to get from Peel/Caledon to Durham/Stouffville without having to jog North/South multiple times. Probably the most likely candidate to be upgraded to provincial highway is King St/Peel regional rd 9/King Rd/Bethesda Rd. A diversion around Lake Wilcox would be needed, could be Bloomington Rd, or Stoufville Rd. Honestly just having one contiguous route across the region would go a long way.

Sounds like a good new route for Highway 7. Build a bridge over the Credit River at the west end of King St/RR 9. and tie into Trafalgar Rd. north of Georgetown.

And good thing, too. I want my pension to earn a market return and not endeavor to provide cheap highway travel as charity.

Even a short stretch of this highway, linking the 427 to the 400, would help alleviate congestion elsewhere such as the over-capacity 400/401 interchange.

Even a short stretch of this highway, linking the 427 to the 400, would help alleviate congestion elsewhere such as the over-capacity 400/401 interchange.

It would also be nice if it could stop at The Gore Road, it would benefit Bolton and the rest of caledon.

The fact that the author questioned induced demand as a "theory" prevents me from taking the article seriously...

The fact that the author questioned induced demand as a "theory" prevents me from taking the article seriously...
He has every right to however. Induced Demand is one of those things I feel that people often shout without properly understanding. Induced Demand has to come from *somewhere*, and cannot appear to fill up a highway from absolute nowhere. Highway 413 is located in a transit desert where most of the traffic is heavy industry and minor commuters from Bolton, Georgetown, and Northern Brampton. There aren't that many places for commuters to come from, and the greatest beneficiaries are truck drivers coming from Northern Canada. As a result its absolutely fair to question at the very least whether or not Induced demand even applies in this situation.

He has every right to however. Induced Demand is one of those things I feel that people often shout without properly understanding. Induced Demand has to come from *somewhere*, and cannot appear to fill up a highway from absolute nowhere. Highway 413 is located in a transit desert where most of the traffic is heavy industry and minor commuters from Bolton, Georgetown, and Northern Brampton. There aren't that many places for commuters to come from, and the greatest beneficiaries are truck drivers coming from Northern Canada. As a result its absolutely fair to question at the very least whether or not Induced demand even applies in this situation.
it would draw drivers from Northern Brampton and Vaughan as well to go around the GTA.

Induced demand is too often shown as an infinitely negative thing, which is where people are wrong, not that it doesn't exist. Of course improving infrastructure will encourage people to use it. It's no different than building new transit lines which attracts more riders than the previous bus route. The Eglinton crosstown is expected to carry about 3x the passengers than the bus it replaces for example.

The thing with automotive induced demand is that it induces vehicle trips, which are generally viewed negatively. Those trips however create productivity and wealth, and many of those trips wouldn't exist without the new infrastructure, or are taken otherwise in less efficient ways.

The question is whether those trips could be instead taken by more sustainable modes, like public transit. And on that front I just don't see this project doing much to impact that. It will mostly service trips that need to be automotive trips - industrial and long distance commuting from low density locations.

Toronto's trend of hyper focusing employment around Union Station is proving extremely good for public transit use and minimizing auto trips, but industry needs auto trips to function and can't be left without new infrastructure to support that for decades on end.

I'm sure a handful of incidental auto trips will happen because of this road that would be better off on transit, but the vast majority will be supporting economic activity that would either not exist otherwise or be performed in less efficient auto trips.

Back