News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

don't believe there was ever this level of high-profile public opposition to the 407 East project where 65km of highway was built, with half of it mostly being through full greenbelt lands, as opposed to just small fingers of it like here with the 413
Maybe that's a good development, acknowledging that we need to change our behaviours and choose to invest in more sustainable types of transportation (ie. Transit).

Maybe that's a good development, acknowledging that we need to change our behaviours and choose to invest in more sustainable types of transportation (ie. Transit)

It also doesn't hurt that the 407 extension serves a reasonably useful purpose outside of enabling development... 413 not so much.

The 427 extension opened two months ago, and I'd argue that expanded arterials can handle the truck traffic and send it onto the 427
You can expand a road 6 lanes wide, but the really bottleneck, is traffic lights. Traffic lights are the worst and make you waste more gas, than a highway would.

I'm all for reducing emissions and slowing down climate change, but building this highway (or any highway, for that matter) will not meaningfully contribute to an increase in emissions on a global scale.

<sarcasm>So many murders happen around the world on a daily basis that yours won't matter... What's your address?</sarcasm>

@ShonTron Could we get Guelph out of the title here? I keep asking for this as the corridor has not gone to Guelph in over 5 years at this point.

My suggested new title:

Roads: GTA West Corridor (Highway 413)​

It's a bit of a shame that the Bradford Bypass has been grouped in with the 413, since I think they're serving different purposes. The 413 is basically to encourage sprawl, while the Bradford Bypass is a connecting link between two major N-S routes when no other high capacity E-W routes exist. I'm sceptical whether the Bradford Bypass will really generate much (if any) sprawl.

It's a little like the 407 East and the 412/418. The 407E will definitely accelerate sprawl in places like Brooklin, but I don't know if the 412 or 418 will have that same impact, since their primary purpose is to function as a high capacity link between the 407 and the 401. If anything, they may actually reduce congestion because they offer an easy way to get from a congested route to a non-congested or less congested route.

It's a bit of a shame that the Bradford Bypass has been grouped in with the 413, since I think they're serving different purposes. The 413 is basically to encourage sprawl, while the Bradford Bypass is a connecting link between two major N-S routes when no other high capacity E-W routes exist. I'm sceptical whether the Bradford Bypass will really generate much (if any) sprawl.

It's a little like the 407 East and the 412/418. The 407E will definitely accelerate sprawl in places like Brooklin, but I don't know if the 412 or 418 will have that same impact, since their primary purpose is to function as a high capacity link between the 407 and the 401. If anything, they may actually reduce congestion because they offer an easy way to get from a congested route to a non-congested or less congested route.
The GTA West highway has its benefits, such as improving road connectivity for the trucking in northern peel, relieving heavy east-west congestion, and at the same time connecting new warehouse development in the area.

As I have said before in a previous post, if the other provincial parties provided a better alternative(new east-west railway corridor), I would be more inclined to support them, but they have absolutely nothing.

You can expand a road 6 lanes wide, but the really bottleneck, is traffic lights. Traffic lights are the worst and make you waste more gas, than a highway would.
That's also why roundabouts save on fuel as well. There usually is no stopping. (Unless you're a novice with them.)

The GTA West highway has its benefits, such as improving road connectivity for the trucking in northern peel, relieving heavy east-west congestion, and at the same time connecting new warehouse development in the area.

As I have said before in a previous post, if the other provincial parties provided a better alternative(new east-west railway corridor), I would be more inclined to support them, but they have absolutely nothing.
Honestly, I think we need rail expansion, coupled with selective highway projects. Bradford Bypass, Morriston Bypass (Hwy 6), and linking the 427 to the 400 (basically the far eastern portion of the 413) would be projects I would support.

But I'd like to see the Missing Link and substantial GO expansion in Brampton, coupled with a Bolton GO service, before I even thought about supporting the 413 as a whole.

PICs coming up. News release from today.
  • Upcoming Public Information Centres (PICs) will be held in December 2021 for public feedback on the project. In addition, Indigenous communities and the public will continue to have opportunities to provide input into the design of the proposed Highway 413 and Community Value Plans will be developed.

Back