News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
I can report here that the City has just posted tender for the Bloor Viaduct ILLUMINATION. Presumably this can only start after they finish the current work on the bridge concrete and metalwork. See: https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/7767E3E4EBC053A185257D7A0068EE3C?OpenDocument

Scope of Work

The design documents outline two distinct systems separated into phases: Phase One consists of an under bridge dynamic LED lighting scheme that lights the concrete piers, the crescent arches, the underside of the road deck and the installation of a TTC chronometer that tracks the trains' movement with sensors. This phase also includes the installation of the complete lighting control system that acts in two modes, one running conventional lighting cues or “looks,” the other controlling the lighting via custom software that uses real-time data from a weather sensor located on top of the bridge. Phase Two consists of continuous linear LED lighting installed within an existing channel on the Luminous Veil that runs its full length, the purpose of which is to project color gradients along the tensioned stainless steel rods that make up the barriers composition in response to changes in temperature, wind direction and velocity.

The contract to be awarded will encompass both Phase 1 AND Phase 2, however, commencement of Phase 2 is contingent upon further City Council approval and will not proceed unless and until sufficient funding is approved by Council in the first quarter of 2015. The award of a contract for Phase 1 and Phase 2 does not in any way obligate the City to proceed with Phase 2 and the City shall not be liable for any costs or expenses incurred or related to Phase 2 in the event that Phase 2 does not proceed. The City reserves the right to cancel Phase 2 in the event that sufficient funding is not available or for any other reason that City Council its sole discretion shall determine

Last edited:
The fact that they're illuminating the concrete piers and arches is fantastic. We rarely see such prominent architectural lighting of our landmarks. One day, they should also replace the generic street lights on the deck with ornamental street lights.

I hope this is approved. I can't wait to see the renderings.

The lighting is in preparation for the PanAm games, right?

I would like to see tasteful lighting which brings out the architecture and materials - they way you would a beautiful cathedral and not tron-lights a la the CN tower.

It would look nice but I wonder if there would be a negative effect on birds.

and the installation of a TTC chronometer that tracks the trains' movement with sensors.

It doesn't mention it elsewhere, but does this mean the lighting could be programmed to respond to passing trains? That would be pretty cool.

I recall hearing about this project awhile back and am glad it wasn't shelved. It would be good for the city, and the viaduct is quite the landmark.
Although I think area residents and preservationists may prevent a level of flickering lights like that seen on each girder of the Eiffel Tower at night.

I recall hearing about this project awhile back and am glad it wasn't shelved. It would be good for the city, and the viaduct is quite the landmark.
Although I think area residents and preservationists may prevent a level of flickering lights like that seen on each girder of the Eiffel Tower at night.

To be honest though, I think they should save the flashing lights for the CN Tower - it'd be far more visible across the city, for one.

AoD

Another tender call...

Tender Call number: 4-2015
Commodity: Construction Services, Electrical services
Description: Prince Edward Viaduct Illumination - The Luminous Veil.
Tenders are invited for the Prince Edward Viaduct Illumination - The Luminous Veil.

All questions concerning this Tender should be directed in writing to bduffley@toronto.ca or fax (416) 397-7779.

The last day for questions with respect to this Tender is 3 days before closing time and date. (For further details, refer to Section 2 of the Tender, Item 3. Questions)
Issue date: January 5, 2015 Closing date: January 19, 2015
at 12:00 Noon
Notes: Viewing Copy
4-2015 Viewing Copy.pdf (16489 Kbytes) - Posted on 01/05/2015 04:56:44 PM

See: https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/747EC43FE2E7BE2685257DC4007848CF?OpenDocument

hm, looks like they're following through with Phase Two (illuminating the veil), and not Phase One (illuminating the arches and piers). I was looking forward to the latter.

hm, looks like they're following through with Phase Two (illuminating the veil), and not Phase One (illuminating the arches and piers). I was looking forward to the latter.
I don't see anything in this new bid for Phase 2 that indicates that they won't be awarding Phase One, that they closed the bids for a few weeks ago.

okay. I misread this thread's first post, and because I hadn't seen any updates posted here concluded that Phase 1 wasn't funded by Council.

I think this project is currently being worked on. Crews have been working along the "Luminous Veil" all week with 2 skyjacks.

Back