News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Half those buildings have pools; bit less fun perhaps but they'll survive.
As a parent of an incredibly active toddler who lives in one of those buildings, it’s hard. It means that to go to a park at all we have to walk 2 km or drive. It’s unusable without water.

The interesting part is that this notice should be in the kip district thread.

It’s going to be a hell of a summer for Viking lane residents. Oh, and no splash pad until August at least.
The "unmitigated" part is what bugs me. This totally could have been handled with even a tiny bit of coordination, but no. We have Kipling Station/Subway torn up with zero enforcement of stopping/parking on St Albans, blocking all traffic and buses, Viking lane about to be torn up, Dundas torn up, St Albans blocked almost all the time for staging, and, again, our park/splashpad (which was paid for with section 37 funds from our buildings) out of commission without any communication to residents. I understand the value of each of these projects on their own but there has been absolutely no coordination or consideration for existing residents.

The "unmitigated" part is what bugs me. This totally could have been handled with even a tiny bit of coordination, but no. We have Kipling Station/Subway torn up with zero enforcement of stopping/parking on St Albans, blocking all traffic and buses, Viking lane about to be torn up, Dundas torn up, St Albans blocked almost all the time for staging, and, again, our park/splashpad (which was paid for with section 37 funds from our buildings) out of commission without any communication to residents. I understand the value of each of these projects on their own but there has been absolutely no coordination or consideration for existing residents.
Coordination is the kind of thing that in an ideal world, a City Councillor's office would be on top of. If only there were more of them*…

*Either more Councillors (and their attendant offices), or that the existing ones were better staffed. The Wards where more development is occuring should get staffing bonus bucks.

Aug 01,
The new road for Bloor St east of Kipling had its curbs and concrete road pour for it. 90% of the westbound lanes in the Dunbloor/Dundas/Bloor has new concrete road. Lots of missing sidewalks and bike lanes missing.

Looks like work has started on the new east sidewalk and curb on Kipling.

The westbound curb west of Kipling is being pour and could be finish this week. The new westbound road that is missing could be pour next week.

A number of new trees are dead.

Hard to say if all of the new Kipling Rd and New Bloor intersection will be completed this year and open. Most likely only the northbound lanes being use for both direction.

Photo to follow

Will the traffic lanes be very wide to accommodate the speeders doing 100 km/h or will they be narrowed to reflect the posted speed limit signs?

20190802_095414.jpg
20190802_095523(0).jpg

This morning. First photo is looking west along future Bloor St. Second photo is north along Kipling from Dundas where you can see the temporary Kipling on the left and right-graded Kipling on the right.

View attachment 197301View attachment 197302

This morning. First photo is looking west along future Bloor St. Second photo is north along Kipling from Dundas where you can see the temporary Kipling on the left and right-graded Kipling on the right.
Those are the same shots I got, but I have a better Bloor one. What got me was the grade on Kipling and most likely due to the full new Bloor Kipling Intersection. It looks like it will be level with grade on both side of it on Kipling with Bloor fully level. You can see they are working on what I will say is the new sidewalk to the right. Was on planning to look at the north end on my way home as while the Kipling Hub, but too beat to do both and on shot the Hub. Shot 600 photos for the short day.

The shift of traffic to the left on Kipling happen after they grade part of it after the bridges were remove. The northbound lane is the original southbound lane as well part of southbound being use for the southbound traffic. Most locals I have talked to couldn't believe how fast those bridges came down and only a weekend closure. They prefer this change over what was there before. They look forward to seeing all these new bike/sidewalks for the area.

As for speed, I hope this change will slow down those ass holes who think this is the 401 in the first place. They will do this to the west that will remain as is.

With this change, TTC Lambton bus will be servicing the major intersections once the work is done and shelters are install. No idea what route will service the stop the eastbound one Bloor St at Resurrection Dr.

Reactions: vic
Drove through there this weekend. Good news is that the eastbound bike lane is complete on Dundas between Kipling & Bloor. Bad news was that cyclists decided they should be riding on the road (and veering right in front of a car to go from the right hand side of the right turn lane so they can stay straight).

A reminder for both automobiles and cyclists to stay alert in construction zones and assume everyone around you are idiots.

^Not just in construction zones. A cyclist decided to start crossing a road in front of me when I had the right of way and had already started my turn. Sent a few choice cuss words after him.

Great stuff looking forward to seeing how bad TTC riders are going to get it this time around. Buses are going to be backed up to kingdom-come to the point that it will literally get gridlocked on St.Albans. Last time lanes were restricted in this area (around Auckland Rd) it took a good 15-20 mins just for buses to exit the immediate vicinity around Kipling station.

Make no mistake about it, this area is going to be an unmitigated disaster.

Oh, it's pretty darn bad. They had St. Alban's closed for a few days under Kipling, and starting late last week, they closed one lane on St. Alban's west of Kipling. During rush hour, it can be pretty bananas. That second set of lights they installed at Subway Crescent, I completely understand why they did it, but it can makes things SLOW. It's not as bad as it was the last time there were major problems (we also had to deal with the construction of that new condo at Bloor/Aukland that occupied a lane), but it's like everything is converging on Kipling Station all at once - Six Points, the condo, the Metrolinx Hub and the water, all happening at the same time. Maximum pain now so that it's smooth sailing afterward, but man, if you're taking a bus down Kipling, once you hit the construction zone backup, it's really hit-or-miss. Maybe you're through in five minutes, maybe today it's 15.

Drove through there this weekend. Good news is that the eastbound bike lane is complete on Dundas between Kipling & Bloor. Bad news was that cyclists decided they should be riding on the road (and veering right in front of a car to go from the right hand side of the right turn lane so they can stay straight).

A reminder for both automobiles and cyclists to stay alert in construction zones and assume everyone around you are idiots.

When I cycled through there from west to east on Monday, there wasn't actually any way to get up onto the bike lane yet, except at the Kipling Intersection, though I pulled over and hauled my bike up onto the bike lane (around Six Points Park, I think). Then...riding along the bike lane, there were at least 3 pedestrians using the bike lane. Zero pedestrians on the sidewalk. So....I don't blame cyclists for staying on the road there (veering in front of other traffic though...not so good). No good way to merge off of the bike lane once I got to Bloor too. Definitely a work in progress, and NOT complete.

Back