News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
INAL, but a dead man cannot defend himself in a criminal court of law, so as far as a "fair trial" goes, it doesn't stand that a person can be tried posthumously. But that doesn't stop police from revealing the results of an investigation, in private or public. In the case of civil law, I believe a dead defendant can be tried (in order to determine contested ownership, etc.)

A Trial In Absentia could be used.

A Trial In Absentia could be used.

In Absentia cases are extremely rare, and generally only if the defendants failure to appear is voluntary, i.e.; if they're on the lam. Failure to appear before a criminal court after dying is about the furthest thing from voluntary you can get.

Last edited:
In Absentia cases are extremely rare, and generally only if the defendants failure to appear is voluntary, i.e.; if they're on the lam. Failure to appear before a criminal court after dying is about the furthest thing from voluntary you can get.
You can also get convicted of a crime, file an appeal and then die. In such cases the conviction gets tossed.

In Absentia cases are not as rare as you think. In Absentia cases only require that the defendant is not present during the entirety of the trial (pre-trial events can be included) including the order of the court for health and safety reasons.

You can also get convicted of a crime, file an appeal and then die. In such cases the conviction gets tossed.

Interesting, one would think the appeal gets tossed, not the conviction.

Re the "law & order conservativism" cultural issue being discussed a little while back: I'm not sure if that holds so much in the federal sphere (Canadian Forces, RCMP, etc)--perhaps because there's more of a culture of dignity and respect within those realms that doesn't abide thuggery. Which explains something like the "gentle giant" cast Nathan Cirillo carried....

Who said he's recovering?
Well, no one on this thread. But I assume most of the world gives him the benefit of the doubt. Isn't that what you're supposed to do? He hasn't been "caught" in any photos or sightings with a bottle or acting wasted since he went to rehab (or whatever that was). Plus these are supposed to be people who like him. Don't they have even the slightest notion that they shouldn't be offering him beer?

Well, no one on this thread. But I assume most of the world gives him the benefit of the doubt. Isn't that what you're supposed to do? He hasn't been "caught" in any photos or sightings with a bottle or acting wasted since he went to rehab (or whatever that was). Plus these are supposed to be people who like him. Don't they have even the slightest notion that they shouldn't be offering him beer?

In some cases, one of the reasons they like him is his brazen substance abuse. Supporting "recovery" would be wussy.

Re the "law & order conservativism" cultural issue being discussed a little while back: I'm not sure if that holds so much in the federal sphere (Canadian Forces, RCMP, etc)--perhaps because there's more of a culture of dignity and respect within those realms that doesn't abide thuggery

Except that once in a while someone really nasty slips through the net, like Russell Williams.

I had a chance to watch CNN for once. You can really see the Ford-like momentum building around Trump. I thought he'd start to fade, just like I expected Ford to. You hear all the same things you heard with Ford. Like even though Trump says offensive things about Latinos, many still love him--though some won't admit it publicly. Just like how blacks, Italians etc shrugged off Ford's racist comments. I think he's going to be president (yikes!).

Keep in mind that he still has a negative approval rating among GOP leaning voters. Polls have been done for general election matchups and he loses all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back