News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've a feeling that Doug is going to pass on running in the Ward. I think he'll either insist Mikey do it, or he might be planning on one of the Ks entering politics. Doug has his eye on a bigger prize than Ward 2, he's been there, done that.
That's what I think, but it seems like the provincial and federal conservatives have shunned him. Remember that press conference he had outside Rob's office when he said he decided not to run for head of the conservative provincial party because he wanted to help Rob campaign? His face said otherwise, you could tell he wasn't running because they didn't want him. So if he knows he is not in either party's plans, he might run in Ward 2 with the mayoralty in mind for 2018.

I'm hoping he won't. At least Mike isn't an asshole and he is socially liberal.

Ward 2 will be declared vacate in the May city council session. In the meantime, the Ward 2 office staff will continue to operate and paid, if possible.

Will phone calls to Rob's cell phone remain to be recorded for review by the Ward 2 staff? Or call forwarded to 311?
What can be creepier than people still calling Robbie's personal cell.

That's what I think, but it seems like the provincial and federal conservatives have shunned him. Remember that press conference he had outside Rob's office when he said he decided not to run for head of the conservative provincial party because he wanted to help Rob campaign? His face said otherwise, you could tell he wasn't running because they didn't want him. So if he knows he is not in either party's plans, he might run in Ward 2 with the mayoralty in mind for 2018.

I'm hoping he won't. At least Mike isn't an asshole and he is socially liberal.

I think the provincial PC's may warm up to a Doug Ford candidacy in the next election. Patrick Brown is a fresh face with a new broom. And Doug has been supportive of Brown in comments to the media. Given that the next election is a ways off, there's time to put some distance between Doug and the mayhem that was Rob's mayorship. If the party thinks he can deliver a seat, they'll probably get behind a Doug nomination.

Re Mike: If Ward 2 must have a Ford in council, I sincerely hope it's him. He seems like a decent chap who'd rather do the work than pick fights with enemies, real or imagined.

"He seems like a decent chap..." ie: harmless?

Two lessons learned. Unlike City employees,

1) No qualifications are needed to be a politician.

2) Politicians can't be fired.

Can't remember who said it, but when asked why s/he went into politics, the reply was, "I wasn't qualified to do anything else."

Last edited:
Please tell me that the writer made up the answers to his own questions. I thought I was reading the Onion or Beaverton there for a minute. That was a whole lot of crazy in one place, glad they seem concentrated in the Etobicoke area.

I have no problem believing every word of those responses is real. Also, I'd bet that the reporter had all that stuff within 30 minutes.

It's terrifying.

I think that's on the Ford coat of arms
I' ve said this a couple of times in the course of this thread, but it's brought out some of the best wit in people, some regular posters have been especially prolific. Even with Rob gone, we have to stay vigilant against the Ford Hyperbolic Camping Machine that got fired up again this week. Let our guard down and Doug will be worming his way into power. Stay ready my friends!

I think the provincial PC's may warm up to a Doug Ford candidacy in the next election. Patrick Brown is a fresh face with a new broom. And Doug has been supportive of Brown in comments to the media. Given that the next election is a ways off, there's time to put some distance between Doug and the mayhem that was Rob's mayorship. If the party thinks he can deliver a seat, they'll probably get behind a Doug nomination.

This is true. Across the border, it's well known that most of his GOP colleagues genuinely despise Ted Cruz, yet currently they're hoping he's going to "save" the Republican Party from Donald Trump. And as much as they fear and hate Trump, it's widely expected they'll all line up behind him if he actually manages to secure the party nomination for President. A lot can change in a short span of time. Don't assume Dofo is beyond the pale for the provincial PCs and that they won't flip flop if they think there's an advantage to it.

As for Mikey, he may well be a truly decent person (at least compared to the creatures he's related to), but my objection to him here is that he's still just a kid. It would be insulting to have someone that young and inexperienced as a city councillor.

Sorry if somewhat OT, but do you think the Star's Ford funeral coverage, as well as the ongoing exposes on the Ontario Liberals (and occassional tweaks to Trudeau) are an attempt to position the paper to win over enough Sun readers to finally put a fork in that competition?

As for Mikey, he may well be a truly decent person (at least compared to the creatures he's related to), but my objection to him here is that he's still just a kid. It would be insulting to have someone that young and inexperienced as a city councillor.

No different than that NDP candidate from the previous federal election. Can't recall the exact details but she ran as a joke and won the seat.

This is true. Across the border, it's well known that most of his GOP colleagues genuinely despise Ted Cruz, yet currently they're hoping he's going to "save" the Republican Party from Donald Trump. And as much as they fear and hate Trump, it's widely expected they'll all line up behind him if he actually manages to secure the party nomination for President. A lot can change in a short span of time. Don't assume Dofo is beyond the pale for the provincial PCs and that they won't flip flop if they think there's an advantage to it.

I completely agree that he has no experience for the job. However, if I had to choose between Doug and Mikey to fill in, the latter Ford would be much more bearable.

No different than that NDP candidate from the previous federal election. Can't recall the exact details but she ran as a joke and won the seat.

You're perhaps thinking of Ruth Ellen Brosseau? The 'Member from Vegas'? A quick study apparently, who learned on the job. Massively re-elected in 2015. She's done well. Still young. Regardless of what happens next fed elxn, she's guaranteed, now, to be pensioned out at 65. She'll likely have a lot of lucrative 'consulting' work in the interim. Kind of a good news story, really. Mike Ford could defy expectations and be the same sort of tale. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back