News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug hated being a councillor -- having to rub elbows with all the riff raff and all. So poor Mikey gets shoved in to keep the Ford brand alive. So far, Mikey is declining interviews, and he will probably get elected without having to speak a word. But sooner or later he's going to have to speak at Council where he will get eaten alive. I almost feel sorry for him. He probably didn't have a choice though -- if he didn't run, his allowance would get cut off. And meanwhile, good old Uncle Doug plans to swoop in and win the next mayoral election.

On the other hand, it's interesting product positioning - you have a gentler, softer, more "reasonable" and personable face for the brand while the nasty, borderline unelectable uncle with no patience for sitting in council plays puppet master (with Mistress X at the top of that foodchain). Just like the way it was with Rob.

AoD

I'm guessing Doug will be Mikey's part-time assistant. He'll come in occasionally to stay in the limelight and blast Tory for different things. He'll keep polling and if come election time he's in reach of Tory he'll run for mayor. If it's not close he won't put himself out there to potentially be embarrassed.

Doug will also do all of Mikey's media. The Ford spokestrumpet.

Doug hated being a councillor -- having to rub elbows with all the riff raff and all. So poor Mikey gets shoved in to keep the Ford brand alive. So far, Mikey is declining interviews, and he will probably get elected without having to speak a word. But sooner or later he's going to have to speak at Council where he will get eaten alive. I almost feel sorry for him. He probably didn't have a choice though -- if he didn't run, his allowance would get cut off. And meanwhile, good old Uncle Doug plans to swoop in and win the next mayoral election.

A surprising number of councillors never say a word on the floor of Council. I've been watching a fair bit of the public feed for a few years now, and every meeting there's at least one moment where I say to myself "who's that?"

A surprising number of councillors never say a word on the floor of Council. I've been watching a fair bit of the public feed for a few years now, and every meeting there's at least one moment where I say to myself "who's that?"

Council work isn't necessarily what gets you elected - groundwork is. In fact it might be best for a councillor to lay low if what they voted for/against is unpopular in his/her ward. The more you appear to stand for everthing, the higher the chance you will get caught doing something unpopular and it will be used against you.

That, or it might just be easier to say nothing and cruise through.

AoD

Agreed. But you just know Uncle Doug is going to make him take a stand on some issue or other.

Mikey Ford said:
I believe all elected officials have a responsibility to be available to the people who elect them. I will continue the benchmark set by my family – if you ask me for help, I will do everything I can to help you. I will call you back, I will return your messages, and I will come straight to your door to make sure you get the excellent level of service you deserve

The way Mark Towhey writes about how Rob returned every call, makes it sound as if it is was another of his compulsive behavioural issues. If things weren't going well, he'd pick up his phone list—day or night—and "dial for love." Add to that the fact Rob had almost super-human (and drug fuelled) stamina, and I fear Mikey is settling himself up for a fall.

Even Rob had to lay a great deal of groundwork before he became this mythical creature that returned ever call. Mikey would be better off trying to build his own reputation than live off the second hand fumes of someone else's.

Also he likely has behavioural issues of his own . . . and a dicky heart.

The way Mark Towhey writes about how Rob returned every call, makes it sound as if it is was another of his compulsive behavioural issues. If things weren't going well, he'd pick up his phone list—day or night—and "dial for love." Add to that the fact Rob had almost super-human (and drug fuelled) stamina, and I fear Mikey is settling himself up for a fall.

Even Rob had to lay a great deal of groundwork before he became this mythical creature that returned ever call. Mikey would be better off trying to build his own reputation than live off the second hand fumes of someone else's.

Also he likely has behavioural issues of his own . . . and a dicky heart.

Recall the talk about hospital phone calls at a rate that would make 311 operators blanch.

AoD

That's exactly what the primaries in the US are. Nothing prevents the losers from running as an independent when they lose the party nomination; very very few do.

Many states have a "sore loser" law which prevents running as an independent if they fail to get a party's nomination. Plus for those that don't have such a law, the date to register as an independent is often weeks or even months before the party nominations end. It's very difficult to run for a party, fail, then run as an independent.

On the other hand, it's interesting product positioning - you have a gentler, softer, more "reasonable" and personable face for the brand while the nasty, borderline unelectable uncle with no patience for sitting in council plays puppet master (with Mistress X at the top of that foodchain). Just like the way it was with Rob.

AoD
Mistress X supposed to be Diane? Wouldn't that be Madam X?

Many states have a "sore loser" law which prevents running as an independent if they fail to get a party's nomination. Plus for those that don't have such a law, the date to register as an independent is often weeks or even months before the party nominations end. It's very difficult to run for a party, fail, then run as an independent.
As opposed to Ward 2, which has a "sore winner" constitutional convention.

The most quiet of the bunch is councillor Carmichael Greb. I watch council quite frequently and I've only seen her speak once. Crisanti is probably 2nd after her. Or maybe Chin Lee. Di Ciano doesn't talk that much. Perruzza is entertaining to watch, after about a minute or so you'll ask yourself "what the hell is he talking about?". Fragedakis always speaks or asks her questions reading off a sheet of paper that she prepares. It's kinda endearing. Also, I noticed Holland (formerly Berardinetti) changed her seating position awhile back, I believe she switched her seat with Nunziata. I wonder why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back