News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gather that Diane visited the mayor's office and ordered Doug to clear out the damn hippies.

Diane came in on July 4 with the rest of the mob, and the next day Dougie stepped up to harass RFMG.

Is there any Toronto official with the authority to observe, pass judgement, and order the event cancelled on the spot? Probably only the mayor, as if that would help.
Also re Ford Fest: Glad to see the complaint letters going city staff. I'm sending one, too. That said, staff is in a tough position because the fest hasn't happened yet. Of course it's going to be a campaign event, but no one can prove that until it happens. Catch-22. This is another case where the Fords have shown us that our rules of conduct for local pols have no teeth. The Fords will apply for a family event, campaign like hell, then walk away laughing, leaving the rest of us to clutch our pearls. It's sick. Maybe the city should change its policy and say that all "community events" sponsored by a candidate during an election period are to be considered "political" when it comes to approving permits.

I can't believe what a farce this is. The Fords think they own this city and can do whatever the hell they want. That kid Mikey has no experience and probably little interest in politics or city building. To shove him in there just because his uncle is mayor, is a joke. The funny part is, with something like 12 people running in that ward, splitting the vote, he will probably get elected on name recognition alone. Ford will be really proud that he pulled a fast one on the city, getting this kid a well-paid job. It's just one big FU Toronto, pulled by Ford. It just makes me sick the way these guys degrade this city and people allow it.

Not one of these A-holes can make it through a year of university, yet they think they can rule over us like kings. It's just too ridiculous! I want this Hillbilly nightmare to end, SOON! (before Kathy becomes the next of kin to jump in the ring) OY VAY, my head hurts.

Posting since Rob says it's ok - Jerry was at Casa RoFo about an hour ago, in civvies and driving a green hatchback. No sign of the escalade. Guess they were running low on smokes, or maybe he's Mikey's driver now as well.

Is there any Toronto official with the authority to observe, pass judgement, and order the event cancelled on the spot? Probably only the mayor, as if that would help.

At this moment? Probably not, at least according to the city, however, if they do send someone (or if a civilian) collects evidence during the "family celebration" prove other wise then it talks the route similar to every other complaint.

Last edited:

IMO, the Fords (or any candidate) should be required to prove an event is non-political. They should be required to file an agenda of events, texts of speeches, performances etc., beforehand. If they go off-script, there should be real consequences, such as steep financial penalties to the campaign.

Also re Ford Fest: Glad to see the complaint letters going city staff. I'm sending one, too. That said, staff is in a tough position because the fest hasn't happened yet. Of course it's going to be a campaign event, but no one can prove that until it happens. Catch-22. This is another case where the Fords have shown us that our rules of conduct for local pols have no teeth. The Fords will apply for a family event, campaign like hell, then walk away laughing, leaving the rest of us to clutch our pearls. It's sick. Maybe the city should change its policy and say that all "community events" sponsored by a candidate during an election period are to be considered "political" when it comes to approving permits.

I'm hoping enough people bring it to their attention that Ford is in the middle of a campaign, and that any use of city property for event purposes, regardless of the nature, should be forbidden. Punishment after the fact will have no effect, because he will have achieved his goal. I sent another email re "punishment after the fact" earlier today.

We need lots and lots of complaint letters. Feel like the Fords are making Toronto a laughing stock.

If I'm correct, I think I'm called a lurker ?? sounds grim... I've posted few times but reading the thread, which is variously fascinating, funny, clever and compassionate. has become a habit. Thanks to you all. Below, my e-mail to the City re: Fordfest permit

I wish to complain about the City’s acquiescence to Ford family duplicity in permitting the notorious “Fordfest” to be held on City property next week. The Staff’s reported rationalization for allowing this affair is a “cute” compartmentalization of the governing by-law and flies in the face of its spirit. Simply put, no candidate should be given a permit to hold a special bash (last year’s “Fordfest” permit application indicated an expected 10,000 + attendance!) during an election, notwithstanding “family gathering” or “special occasion open to the public” designations. To grant a permit given the intent of the by-law is utterly cynical and in my view, bad faith.

The Ford’s have the resources to obtain any property for hire and no resident should have impeded access to a City park taken over for what will be, so assuredly, a campaign rally for two candidates.

If it your intent is to nonetheless grant the permit, kindly ensure that City staff (at taxpayer’s expense) are deployed to ensure there is no campaigning - I trust you see how ridiculous it is to grant a permit, right?

The Fords have misused the Ford Fest permit in the past by campaigning. That should be adequate consideration for denying a new permit. Lord knows that if the average private citizen (that wasn't a Ford) went to apply for a permit after previously breaking the rules the request would be denied. I'm infuriated that the city's what-can-we-possibly-do response is “Staff have to go by what it says on the permit application" when that would clearly not be the case for you or me.

I will also be writing. Many thanks to the poster who included the contact information for city staff.

I sent a strongly worded email to those email addresses (thanks for providing them!) re: Ford Fest. I hope everyone else does the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back