News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how old is Mikey then about 22? Let's face it -- I doubt if this kid (and he is still a kid) is a rocket scientist nor does he seem to have likely have any more common sense then any of his peers -- so there are probably thousands of 22 year olds in Toronto better qualified than him to be a city councillor.

Sounds like he is only too happy to take advantage of the family name and hop on the gravy train.

I've got the same question.

Maybe "Mayor Crime Lord" knows something we don't?
https://twitter.com/TOMayorFrod/status/490649333725818880/photo/1

I see no problem with a 20-year-old being a councillor.

The younger the better, in my opinion. I was 18 when I hired on full-time with the City of Toronto ( Metro, as it was known back then ).

Prior to the early 1980s, Metro was aiming to recruit new members aged from 18 to about 25. The practice was customary in those days, and was grounded on three beliefs:

First, that it should not be the second career of an individual. Second, young people were more moldable than older individuals to the subculture. Third, criminal activity was linked to adulthood.

These days, it's all about "life experience".

Last edited:
The younger the better, in my opinion. I was 18 when I hired on full-time with the City of Toronto ( Metro, as it was known back then ).

Prior to the early 1980s, Metro was aiming to recruit new members aged from 18 to about 25. The practice was customary in those days, and was grounded on three beliefs:

First, that it should not be the second career of an individual. Second, young people were more moldable than older individuals to the subculture. Third, criminal activity was linked to adulthood.

By hiring young adults, the City secured more chances that those individuals would have a crime free background.

These days, it's all about "life experience".

You worked for the city? Why haven't you mentioned this before?

I kid I kid...

Third, criminal activity was linked to adulthood.

Criminality is always relevant on the subject of RoFo and DoFo IMO.

Ok more seriously. I'm intrigued. Was that belief based on Metro doesn't want to risk hiring an adult career criminal?
Compared to today, the youths fair or not, are sometimes viewed with more suspicion. Which is why I'm intrigued and interested when you mentioned that Metro policy.

I still think it makes NO sense that we get reimbursed for contributions. This is one of the screwiest things I've ever heard of.

The rule was initiated to get more people more engaged in municipal politics, mostly it's been a huge failure on that point...
And yet that's the rule. Ford exploited the hell out of that rule last time. Let's take it back this time. Then work to change it for next time.

If Metro was hiring fresh out of high school they were most likely at that time giving significant preference to the sons of men already working for Metro. Worked at the time, sons following their father's footsteps, jobs for life, get on with being an adult, marry, buy a house, start having children. But times change.

Now meet Mikey Ford. At city council times haven't changed so much, because we still elect the children, siblings, spouses, now nephews of former councilors.

Ok more seriously. I'm intrigued. Was that belief based on Metro doesn't want to risk hiring an adult career criminal?

It seemed ( at that time ) that young people just graduating high school were more receptive to discipline. Even more preferred were those who had recently come out of the military.

Compared to today, the youths fair or not, are sometimes viewed with more suspicion.

I don't know if high schoolers today are any better or worse than I was at that age. Just the times have changed.

When I was injured, I was sent into a few high schools for career days. I must admit, I didn't understand why some students behaved the way they did. Not just towards us visitors, but towards their teachers and each other.

If Metro was hiring fresh out of high school they were most likely at that time giving significant preference to the sons of men already working for Metro. Worked at the time, sons following their father's footsteps, jobs for life, get on with being an adult, marry, buy a house, start having children. But times change.

Now meet Mikey Ford. At city council times haven't changed so much, because we still elect the children, siblings, spouses, now nephews of former councilors.

Legacy points ( if your family worked for Metro ), residency in Metro, height and weight requirements and age were all eliminated in the early 1980's. The people they hire now have more life experience, are better educated and diverse.

Sometimes I wish candidates for councillor could be subjected to the old civil service exam. That might weed a few out.

I'm also surprised they let people who have never served as councillors run for mayor.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for Mikey. I don't think he would have ever considered a run for council (at least, not any time soon) unless he was egged on by his uncles. And even if he wins, I'm quite sure the family expects him to be nothing more than a mouthpiece. That's a shitty thing to do to kid who's just reaching the age when he/she should be making their own choices about the future. Quite selfish and abusive on the part of the Ford Bros, IMO. Mikey hasn't opened his mouth yet, so it's possible he'll turn out to be his own man. But that possibility is remote, at best.

Also re Ford Fest: Glad to see the complaint letters going city staff. I'm sending one, too. That said, staff is in a tough position because the fest hasn't happened yet. Of course it's going to be a campaign event, but no one can prove that until it happens. Catch-22. This is another case where the Fords have shown us that our rules of conduct for local pols have no teeth. The Fords will apply for a family event, campaign like hell, then walk away laughing, leaving the rest of us to clutch our pearls. It's sick. Maybe the city should change its policy and say that all "community events" sponsored by a candidate during an election period are to be considered "political" when it comes to approving permits.

Even if Mikey is his own man, the fact that he's been his uncles' errand boy makes him a piece of shit. For enabling those two monsters he gets not a single ounce of slack-cutting from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back