News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if they are cancelling the debate, then the news will be grim.

All of the acceptable family members seem to be descending on the hospital as we type.

Presumably Tory and Chow don't know though, so we still have no idea how grim the news will be. I can see them extending politeness to Doug who won't be able to make it, and because the media will be all about the presser and will completely ignore the debate anyway. Cancelling it doesn't have to mean the news will be grim.

Um. An R66 which can spend 3 hours on station and fly at over 120kt, fully equipped with police gear - imaging, lights, all the good stuff - is like $1.1m USD. Aviation is expensive, but police helicopters are small. For comparison, you can buy an older 737 for about $3.5m! Aviation is expensive, but be realistic.

The police helicopters Rob Ford proposed would have come in handy when the police were trying to conduct surveillance on Rob Ford.

Um. An R66 which can spend 3 hours on station and fly at over 120kt, fully equipped with police gear - imaging, lights, all the good stuff - is like $1.1m USD. Aviation is expensive, but police helicopters are small. For comparison, you can buy an older 737 for about $3.5m! Aviation is expensive, but be realistic.

I would never argue you with you on this subject; rather, I find it interesting that public service (as opposed to recreational or commercial) equipment of this type would be so inexpensive. You lead me to look at the R66 catalogue - 2014 price list, including police equipment add-ons (approx. US$375,000) is roughly US$1.5 million at the US factory. I do not know if there would be any extra cost (import duties, etc.) to bring it to Toronto (other than, of course, the cost to deliver it to Toronto).

I would never argue you with you on this subject; rather, I find it interesting that public service (as opposed to recreational or commercial) equipment of this type would be so inexpensive. You lead me to look at the R66 catalogue - 2014 price list, including police equipment add-ons (approx. US$375,000) is roughly US$1.5 million at the US factory. I do not know if there would be any extra cost (import duties, etc.) to bring it to Toronto (other than, of course, the cost to deliver it to Toronto).

Helicopters for surveillance? Can we move past the 20th century and get into the habit of using drones instead?

AoD

All this deathbed talk is being laid on real thick by the family and doctors. Also, why is a debate being postponed when the guy who the 5 pm presser is about isn't running any longer?

Because his brother is, and he is the sitting mayor whether we like it or not. I don't have a problem with it. Particularly given that all parties agreed it should be done.

Not to mention, debates are meant to educate. And what do you think most will be watching - the debate or the presser?

Last edited:
Helicopters for surveillance? Can we move past the 20th century and get into the habit of using drones instead?

AoD

Just digging around a little more (but stopping now, promise): The OPP uses Eurocopter135s, acquired in 2011. List price, before police add-ons, is US$4.2 million per. Presumably 'cool stuff envy' would mean that the TPS could not possibly live with el-cheap-o RR66s and still hold their heads up.

(IIRC, the cost of the helicopter that the British taxpayers were forcibly made to buy for Prince William for his birthday was $11 million.)
So that's about a florin (£0.10) per British resident.

Which all have the Queen on the front:
220px-British_florin_1967_obverse.png

Surely it's the Queen's money then ...

Attachments

• 220px-British_florin_1967_obverse.png
    220px-British_florin_1967_obverse.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 794
Last edited:
Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 3.05.08 PM.png

Subject, one assumes, to being preempted by Doug Ford.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 3.05.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 3.05.08 PM.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 720
Despite what SAL may have gone through, or what any person may have gone through as a victim of abuse, or whatever stage they're at in their journey, it doesn't give them the right to dump on others.

No, as a victim of parental abuse myself, I completely agree. She's pure vitriol, through and through. I was just expounding upon her odd relationship with Ford, given the circumstances.

Shawn Jeffords ‏@Shawn_Jeffords 3m
Doug Ford arrives at Mount Sinai says things are “tough”. #TOpoli

Shawn Jeffords ‏@Shawn_Jeffords 2m
Asked how he's holding up today, “I'm feeling the same as I have the last few days.” #TOpoli

Shawn Jeffords ‏@Shawn_Jeffords 1m
Asked how Mayor Ford is doing, Doug says “the doctor will address it at 5.”

Shawn Jeffords ‏@Shawn_Jeffords 47s
Lots of family now inside with Mayor Ford. Doug, Randy, Diane and wife Renata. #TOpoli

Is this Doug being his hyperbolic self or actually telling the truth?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back