News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
So no more Chow in politics for at least 4 years? She lost her mayoral bid, she doesn't have a council seat, she can't go back to being and MP. She's well and truly out of it. She'll have to get a real job for the first time in many, many years.

Did you ever stop to think that her experience to date makes for a pretty hefty and convincing resume? A "real job", or some such high-earning position, ought to come quite easy for her--she's got a robust parachute.

OTOH had *Mammoliti* lost (or should he be booted by the courts), *there's* a likely "well and truly out of it" case to consider. (I'd vote him "likeliest to be reduced to driving taxis".)

The best I can sum up tonight's results is a sense of relief.

I am glad that Doug did not win and neither did John Nunziata.

But there are many things to be unhappy about:
1. 1 out of 3 votes for Mayor went to Doug
2. Rob got 60% of the votes in Ward 2
3. Mikey won without saying one word.
4. Mammoliti was victorious in Ward 7.

For the next few years, Toronto will be facing enormous budget pressures. This will give Rob one giant soapbox on which to sprout his nonsense. And mainstream media will give him plenty of coverage.

About the only consolation is that every doctor I've spoken with thinks his type of cancer is really really serious. Survival stats is dismal. So he may not have that much time to disrupt CityHall and the business of the City.

But then we have to face either Doug or Mikey running for the eventual by-election in Ward 2!!

Damn, this Ford family is harder to get rid of than bedbugs!

Thanks kindly for the kind words. Andray was upbeat about it and is committed to working for Ward 2 outside of council. Hard loss, but the team has his back for whatever happens next.

Those mayoral numbers though... Yikes. I can't believe Doug got so much support.

Agree with GavinTheAlmighty and share his hurt at the low showing for Andray. So disheartening after a campaign that was fought so hard and to a high standard, and got so much attention across the city. Andray is a class act and will make a bigger mark on the political scene in some future way. As for the reasons for the low support...thoughts for another day.

Also appalled at Doug's showing but delighted that he got the boot.

This article in the Star explains it. http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ker_jon_burnside_in_ward_26_council_race.html
Two main things, development and traffic. This was the ward where that little girl was killed. Parker wasn't vocal about the Slow Down campaign. Last election was very close with Buenside and Parker.

And another thing: Burnside had an even slicker, more aggressive campaign than last time. (The "Burnside On Your Side" signs were among the best of this election cycle.)

Too close for comfort. The 22% voting for Chow almost cost us 4 more years of a Ford as mayor.
I know many on here were against strategic voting but this is exactly why many voted strategically.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

But, all's well that ends well. Happy days are here again!

Last edited:
Well. My one wild year has come to an end. You guys should be thanking Goldkind, Shirtless Joe and Folks guy. 35% for DoFo? Could easily have been 40% without those guys.
SMH

My thoughts exactly. Rob can tell Wormington that he is running in 2018, but a visit to the doctor can change that very quickly.

Yeah, he has a rare and aggressive cancer with a low (if not non-existent) long-term survival rate, and a tumor the size of a personal pan pizza. It ain't looking good.

Well. My one wild year has come to an end. You guys should be thanking Goldkind, Shirtless Joe and Folks guy. 35% for DoFo? Could easily have been 40% without those guys.
SMH

Well, indeed.

Earlier this evening, if I remember correctly, about 3/4 of votes had been counted, and the score was roughly 38.5% JT, 36% DoFo. It was frightening. (At the same time it was comprehensible that all the news channels had called the election for Tory.)

I thought at the time, OMG, Doug could have won if he were just slightly less of a hideous asshole! Not good!

Then I had another thought. Maybe Doug could have won if he were a somewhat worse asshole! What the hell is in the heads of voters?

A rough night for Toronto, and a rough one for Canada, too.

Last edited:
Why exactly are people trying to dictate the end of this thread? There's still more story to come, lisi's trial for one. The effects of Rob Ford as mayor are still ongoing, even if he won't be wearing the ceremonial chain of office.

Why exactly are people trying to dictate the end of this thread? There's still more story to come, lisi's trial for one. The effects of Rob Ford as mayor are still ongoing, even if he won't be wearing the ceremonial chain of office.

Exactly! And if you don't want to read this thread, then don't. It's simple, just don't click on the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back