News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Politicians are more like a board of directors. No time cards at that level, either.

That's works, with the exception that the board doesn't elect them, the shareholders hold those reins.

Item 2 would be appreciated.

Here is the full Code of Conduct John Tory signed.

LEADING A GREAT CITY

1. I will respect and defend our laws, not break them. I will act with the highest degree of integrity, honesty and professionalism that public office demands. In short, I will respect the law.

2. I will show up for work each day to get things done, and I will do this in a transparent manner. This includes keeping a weekly schedule that is public and easily accessible.

3. I will conduct, at a minimum, a weekly press availability that is open and honest. Fostering meaningful and open civic dialogue requires a Mayor who answers questions – not runs from them.

MAKE CITY COUNCIL WORK FOR TORONTO

4. I will build and promote strong working relationships with neighbouring municipalities and other levels of government without regard to their political stripe. Torontonians want tangible and meaningful results and that means working together.

5. I will mend relationships and build bridges in a divided City Council by working with every member on an issue-by-issue basis. The outcome needs to reflect a desire to make life better for Torontonians.

6. I will not compile an enemies list. Torontonians do not want a party system at city hall. I will use the mayor’s office to work with people, not carry on old fights.

7. I will always treat city staff with respect and professionalism. A Mayor can be tough and decisive without being overbearing and brash.

RESPECT TAXPAYERS WITH ACTIONS, NOT JUST WORDS

8. I will ensure that city resources are used exclusively for city business by tightening spending rules and oversight mechanisms. Not one public penny will be used on personal matters. 9. I will introduce real penalties for elected officials and public servants who abuse the privileges, responsibilities and trust that accompany public service. We work for Torontonians — not the other way around.

10. I will require all lobbyists to register in order to make our system more fair and accountable, including leveling the playing field for union lobbyists.
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/03/john-tory-code-of-conduct-targets-rob-ford

I'd also like to see two official question periods a month - in council chambers and on the record. One for the mayor and one for the chairs of executive committees.

C & A: I will second that Code of Conduct thought - This shows that JT wants Toronto to recover in the aftermath of the Ford fiasco...

LI MIKE

That's works, with the exception that the board doesn't elect them, the shareholders hold those reins.

I'm not following, JBWF. Directors elected by shareholders. Pols elected by citizens. Who's the "them" your referring to? TIA.

LEADING A GREAT CITY

1. I will respect and defend our laws, not break them. I will act with the highest degree of integrity, honesty and professionalism that public office demands. In short, I will respect the law.

2. I will show up for work each day to get things done, and I will do this in a transparent manner. This includes keeping a weekly schedule that is public and easily accessible.

3. I will conduct, at a minimum, a weekly press availability that is open and honest. Fostering meaningful and open civic dialogue requires a Mayor who answers questions – not runs from them.

4. I will build and promote strong working relationships with neighbouring municipalities and other levels of government without regard to their political stripe. Torontonians want tangible and meaningful results and that means working together.

5. I will mend relationships and build bridges in a divided City Council by working with every member on an issue-by-issue basis. The outcome needs to reflect a desire to make life better for Torontonians.

6. I will not compile an enemies list. Torontonians do not want a party system at city hall. I will use the mayor’s office to work with people, not carry on old fights.

7. I will always treat city staff with respect and professionalism. A Mayor can be tough and decisive without being overbearing and brash.

8. I will ensure that city resources are used exclusively for city business by tightening spending rules and oversight mechanisms. Not one public penny will be used on personal matters. 9. I will introduce real penalties for elected officials and public servants who abuse the privileges, responsibilities and trust that accompany public service. We work for Torontonians — not the other way around.

10. I will require all lobbyists to register in order to make our system more fair and accountable, including leveling the playing field for union lobbyists.

Yes, indeed! Though I'd settle for item #1...

LEADING A GREAT CITY

I would like to see a similar Code of Conduct for ALL Councillors at city council, signed by each member in public. Not just the Mayor, but ALL (including the newly-elected councillor from Ward Two.

If Tory obeys the law, that will save T.O citizens money. The user-pay system we have now to enforce City laws is costly and difficult. Private citizens shouldn't have to crowdfund Aird & Berlis to sue Rob Ford for election-day camping for Dug at polling stations.

Last edited:
Politicians are not management.

Politicians are more like a board of directors. No time cards at that level, either.

I'm not following, JBWF. Directors elected by shareholders. Pols elected by citizens. Who's the "them" your referring to? TIA.

"Them" would be the politicians.

If Tory obeys the law, that will save T.O citizens money. The user-pay system we have now to enforce City laws is costly and difficult. Private citizens shouldn't have to crowdfund Aird & Berlis to sue Rob Ford for election-day camping for Dug at polling stations.

Agree. Was I the only one shocked to find out the regulations governing city government have no teeth at all, unless private citizens bring suit?!

Yep. I like the code of conduct, but IMO it's worthless if it has no penalties, or enforcement. It merely becomes a list of suggestions, useless against those in power who are shameless or brazen enough to act like they own the town. In a somewhat related note, D. Dale's article re: 20 lessons from this municipal election. 99.9% of Dale's list is spot on IMO.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...nalysis_20_lessons_from_the_rob_ford_era.html

Yep. I like the code of conduct, but IMO it's worthless if it has no penalties, or enforcement. It merely becomes a list of suggestions, useless against those in power who are shameless or brazen enough to act like they own the town. In a somewhat related note, D. Dale's article re: 20 lessons from this municipal election. 99.9% of Dale's list is spot on IMO.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...nalysis_20_lessons_from_the_rob_ford_era.html

Spot on, IMO. Really, really good read. Thanks for the link!

No, I was too. I guess it was only after Rob got in that tougher written regulations became necessary. I can't imagine any of this happening during the Miller era. Still scratching my head over how close we came to Dougapocalypse.

https://twitter.com/MrMaquee/status/526156504152682496/photo/1

Ha! (Yoicks!)

ETA: I guess it took a Mayor who was just that brazen and had no allegiance to the code of conduct we all expected would pertain by virtue of office and the voters' trust, to make it clear why enforcement of 'automatic' penalties for breaches, needs to be built in. :\

Last edited:
Agree. Was I the only one shocked to find out the regulations governing city government have no teeth at all, unless private citizens bring suit?!

It's a way of preventing corruption due to, for one thing, cronyism, and to involve people in the democratic process.

It's a way of preventing corruption due to, for one thing, cronyism, and to involve people in the democratic process.

Surely a process for bringing a complaint that would trigger an investigation (independence needing to be safeguarded, granted) without having legal fees and court wait-time to contend with, would make better sense...and provide for more equal access? Too many citizens afraid of the court system or lacking the necessary money or time, to make access fair and regulations enforced consistently under the current process, I think.

With RoFo saying he wants to run in 2018, current council needs to do something about behaviour etc. to ensure he is penalized should he a) still be alive then b) run for mayor or council and c) win. This is their chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back