And the longer they keep waiting to build a new stadium, the fewer and fewer options they'll have to build in other areas of the city as the city continues to develop. We're not really the kind of city that has the foresight to protect for future builds, so Downsview and the Portlands will be off the table soon enough.

Not that i'm complaining because they'll never beat the location of the current stadium.

On the note of potential alternative sites to build a new stadium...

1713238889916.png

With the current Science Centre site slated to close in 2028, I wonder if this site could be an option for the Blue Jays to explore in late 2020s/early 2030s.

There's roughly 80-90 acres of land which would make for plenty of land to develop a sport entertainment district. Also there will be two mass transit options with the Eglinton Crosstown LRT (Yes it will open eventually 😂) and Ontario Line subway stops.

I'm no expert of course, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt. I'm sure a lot would need to happen for this to become a remotely viable option, but I do think it something that could be an option that Blue Jays and Rogers might end up exploring down the line based off the suggested 10-15 year timeline.

On the note of potential alternative sites to build a new stadium...

View attachment 556755
With the current Science Centre site slated to close in 2028, I wonder if this site could be an option for the Blue Jays to explore in late 2020s/early 2030s.

There's roughly 80-90 acres of land which would make for plenty of land to develop a sport entertainment district. Also there will be two mass transit options with the Eglinton Crosstown LRT (Yes it will open eventually 😂) and Ontario Line subway stops.

I'm no expert of course, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt. I'm sure a lot would need to happen for this to become a remotely viable option, but I do think it something that could be an option that Blue Jays and Rogers might end up exploring down the line based off the suggested 10-15 year timeline.
It's a non-starter and i'm glad you linked that image because: All that land highlighted in green is TRCA land and it's basically flood plain area. So in other words, nothing really can be developed on that land. The only land that could be developed on that site would be the portion that's owned by the city, which as you can imagine is not optimally suited for a baseball stadium. Theoretically you could probably fit a hockey/basketball arena on that plot as that would be easier to orient, but that wouldnt happen in any of our lifetimes for various reasons.

And the longer they keep waiting to build a new stadium, the fewer and fewer options they'll have to build in other areas of the city as the city continues to develop. We're not really the kind of city that has the foresight to protect for future builds, so Downsview and the Portlands will be off the table soon enough.

Not that i'm complaining because they'll never beat the location of the current stadium.
Why would you think it’s the city’s responsibility to keep land available in case the blue jays decide they want to move. It’s the blue jays problem shouldnt they be the ones that are thinking about it. Also what if we saved land at downsview and they were like no thanks we want to be by the lake to have a better view and atmosphere. It’s on the jays to do their due diligence.

Reactions: PL1
Why would you think it’s the city’s responsibility to keep land available in case the blue jays decide they want to move. It’s the blue jays problem shouldnt they be the ones that are thinking about it.
There's a reason we have what's called a planning department. It's there to assess the current and future needs of the city and how to accommodate those needs through the availability of land throughout the city by taking into account a plethora of factors. If the city didnt "keep land available", we wouldnt have many buildings/pieces of infrastructure that we currently have today. We've been very fortunate that we had people in the past that had the foresight to plan ahead and protect for many things we are using today. I wont go into details to keep this thread on topic, but a quick Google search will help you out there.

Stadiums and arenas dont last forever; you can renovate and refurbish a bunch of times over but there comes a point in time where they need to be outright replaced or rebuilt to keep up with the day's standard. That's simply the nature of the sports business unfortunately.

One could always choose not to do that, and in that case you would end up having teams playing in outdated facilities. For example, think of the Leafs playing in Coca-Cola Coliseum or Maple Leaf Gardens; of course it's doable but it wouldnt be the most pleasant experience by today's standards and wouldnt be able to accommodate various facilities that are in use today. The Blue Jays realize this which is why they did massive renovation, and it's why they are looking at a new stadium outright (which may very well be a rebuild).

So in other words what i'm saying is that it's simply common sense for the city to keep in mind that stadiums and arenas need to be replaced. I could give you dozens of cases of cities around the world who have proactively thought about it and have kept land aside in one way or another (ie: keeping a plot of land as park space and building a stadium/arena on it in the future).

Also what if we saved land at downsview and they were like no thanks we want to be by the lake to have a better view and atmosphere.
You know there are ways to keep land aside and have it used it for other purposes, even if it isnt utilized for the principal intended use right? That's what proper planning is all about.

It’s on the jays to do their due diligence.
Yes it is, which is what they are doing right now and as you can see they're having troubles finding a suitable location.

Which on a side note, is the exact same situation the Leafs/Raptors will find themselves in a couple of decades as well (i'm not suggesting Scotiabank Arena needs to be replaced today, but at some point it will but MLSE chose short-term profits over easy future flexibility by building Maple Leaf Square).

There's a reason we have what's called a planning department. It's there to assess the current and future needs of the city and how to accommodate those needs through the availability of land throughout the city by taking into account a plethora of factors. If the city didnt "keep land available", we wouldnt have many buildings/pieces of infrastructure that we currently have today. We've been very fortunate that we had people in the past that had the foresight to plan ahead and protect for many things we are using today. I wont go into details to keep this thread on topic, but a quick Google search will help you out there.

Stadiums and arenas dont last forever; you can renovate and refurbish a bunch of times over but there comes a point in time where they need to be outright replaced or rebuilt to keep up with the day's standard. That's simply the nature of the sports business unfortunately.

One could always choose not to do that, and in that case you would end up having teams playing in outdated facilities. For example, think of the Leafs playing in Coca-Cola Coliseum or Maple Leaf Gardens; of course it's doable but it wouldnt be the most pleasant experience by today's standards and wouldnt be able to accommodate various facilities that are in use today. The Blue Jays realize this which is why they did massive renovation, and it's why they are looking at a new stadium outright (which may very well be a rebuild).

So in other words what i'm saying is that it's simply common sense for the city to keep in mind that stadiums and arenas need to be replaced. I could give you dozens of cases of cities around the world who have proactively thought about it and have kept land aside in one way or another (ie: keeping a plot of land as park space and building a stadium/arena on it in the future).

You know there are ways to keep land aside and have it used it for other purposes, even if it isnt utilized for the principal intended use right? That's what proper planning is all about.

Yes it is, which is what they are doing right now and as you can see they're having troubles finding a suitable location.

Which on a side note, is the exact same situation the Leafs/Raptors will find themselves in a couple of decades as well (i'm not suggesting Scotiabank Arena needs to be replaced today, but at some point it will but MLSE chose short-term profits over easy future flexibility by building Maple Leaf Square).
A baseball stadium isn’t exactly a small place. And if you want it beside transit that’s a lot of premium property gone from either condos or businesses for the possibility of a ball park.

I’m happy to have planning departments but some things are harder to plan for than others. The fact is that the blue jays could at least acquire the land. Use it as a smart centre or something else until they want to build a stadium. Besides this could all be for nothing. There’s a good chance they never expect to move.

Thank you for sharing the pic of the OSC above. I know thats a topic for a different thread but it just goes to show how foolish these politicians saying tear it down and replace with housing are.

I've heard such things sometimes happen, but it's wild to me that people would ask for the dome to be closed, oblivious to the fact there's several thousand other people in the building.

You'd be surprised what some people say. Like you've just come in from single digit weather and expect to have a stadium that's a balmy 22 degrees? You've clearly worn clothing appropriate for the weather outside so suck it up.

In contrast TFC fans almost revel in it anytime there's inclement weather that makes the visiting players on the pitch the least bit uncomfortable

You'd be surprised what some people say. Like you've just come in from single digit weather and expect to have a stadium that's a balmy 22 degrees? You've clearly worn clothing appropriate for the weather outside so suck it up.

In contrast TFC fans almost revel in it anytime there's inclement weather that makes the visiting players on the pitch the least bit uncomfortable

So do many American cities for baseball and football. That what kills me about Torontonians. Bunch of whiners.

Having that said, some of the stadiums that have retractable roofs for baseball are almost always closed cause of the heat. That's one of the big reasons Texas got a new stadium. The one thing I don't understand is if fans and players were complaining that it was to hot and couldn't play in that kind of heat, than how do kids in little leagues and all and minor league teams deal with it?

Last edited:
.. than how do kids in little leagues and all that deal with it?
They suffer until they break. Prepared regulars bring tents, battery powered fans, and coolers full of ice.

I found this question interesting so took a look. I had expected to find a November through April baseball season in southern states or very early-morning game times.

Last edited:
They suffer until they break. Prepared regulars bring tents, battery powered fans, and coolers full of ice.

I found this question interesting so took a look. I had expected to find a November through April baseball season in southern states or very early-morning game times.

Yeah I mean I guess the games are shorter, and the fans/parents have more options to get out of the heat for a bit.

Back