5.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 28K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 2.7K     0 

C-mac

Member Bio
Reaction score
ironically, i just read some clickbaity forbes baseball stadium list and Toronto was like #19 or #20 or something. it blew mind that they ranked it higher than ballparks other than Oakland and Tampa Bay (always in last).

But yea, maybe i'm in the minority here but the last thing i want is theatrics. I cringe when I watch a Portland Timbers match on tv and they saw a log whenever there's a goal, or that silly HR monument in Miami that they finally removed. Half Time Shows and mid game concerts, no thank you. Just give me an exciting ballgame to watch, a seventh inning stretch, some lighting, and i'm good to go.

That Chicago image looks terrible but there's a lot of factors at play here. it's a day game while school is still in session. it was a rescheduled game. it's 39 degrees outside. They will forever be Chicago's "other baseball team". Their location in the south side is not that desirable.

Not to mention, you can't say "look at Progressive Field, it's an outdoor retro park and the attendance is low", because there are other factors involved. For one, not nearly the market the Jays have. They're not even the only team in that state, never mind the area. People come from 3/4 hours up north to watch a Jays game. Also, that stadium opened in 1994 and had strong attendance for over a decade. The team was also winning back so it's hard to say how much of it was the stadium, and how much of it was the winning.

Translude15

Frank the Tank
Member Bio
Reaction score
Maybe Chicago is missing theatrics? You need to be outside, have a good team, and have some theatrics!!! You have to be all in.

But moving the stadium away from the business district and from the cities largest transportation hub that allows other sports teams to flourish is not a big deal to baseball fans. Open air and Theatrics for the win!!!!

Chicago isn't just missing theatrics, it's also missing the Richard White special: tailgating. I mean, they actually do tailgate, but they don't tailgate the right way. You need proper, full-fledged theatrics. Due to the lack of theatrics, attendance therefore drops approximately 15%

1651173566828.png

Not to mention, you can't say "look at Progressive Field, it's an outdoor retro park and the attendance is low", because there are other factors involved. For one, not nearly the market the Jays have. They're not even the only team in that state, never mind the area. People come from 3/4 hours up north to watch a Jays game. Also, that stadium opened in 1994 and had strong attendance for over a decade. The team was also winning back so it's hard to say how much of it was the stadium, and how much of it was the winning.
There certainly is a honeymoon phase for new facilities when it comes to attendance. Keep in mind, the Rangers, even after recently moving into their brand spankin' new, state-of-the-art, Costco dome, and signing a number of high-priced free agents this off-season, had an announced attendance last night of *checks notes* 20,399 (!!!)

Not enough theatrics.

C-mac

Member Bio
Reaction score
Chicago isn't just missing theatrics, it's also missing the Richard White special: tailgating. I mean, they actually do tailgate, but they don't tailgate the right way. You need proper, full-fledged theatrics. Due to the lack of theatrics, attendance therefore drops approximately 15%

View attachment 396496

There certainly is a honeymoon phase for new facilities when it comes to attendance. Keep in mind, the Rangers, even after recently moving into their brand spankin' new, state-of-the-art, Costco dome, and signing a number of high-priced free agents this off-season, had an announced attendance last night of *checks notes* 20,399 (!!!)

Not enough theatrics.

It's kind of been been repeated that both Texas and Miami really botched their new parks. Especially in the Rangers case. Their old field was better then the new one. The only issue with Texas old park was it got to hot. They could have done what both Houston or Seattle did and got a roof. Nobody knows what the Rangers were thinking.

Last edited: