For those who think remodelling the outfield seats in the 500 level isn't possible, it's been done in Denver and Cleveland. Although according to the press release it seems such an upgrade here would simply replace the Hard Rock Cafe.

20131009__rockies-party-deck~p1.jpg

17482797-mmmain.jpg

Changing the roof material to something that let's in light is something I've been thinking would be great as well. I've also thought of cladding a lot of the ugly exterior concrete in a brick cladding would definitely brighten the exterior.

As much as I like brick, I fear just recladding the stadium en masse with it will look unauthentic, given the scale and design of the structure. I'd rather see it opened up (so that you can see people/internal circulation) with glazing so that it can relate to its' surrounding (instead of the bunker that it is) and where appropriate reclad it with metal (Zinc? Corten?)

AoD

You got to be kidding, lets not get tacky here:eek:, do whatever inside but leave the exterior alone
With all the glass down there (and more to come), the Rogers Ctr. exposed concrete is fine and compliments the CN tower very well

Perhaps you should show me a ground level photo of just how nice and cozy all that concrete is instead of one on a plane from a mile away. As to tacky, well I'd love hear your feeling about Aura again. :rolleyes:

AoD

Perhaps you should show me a ground level photo of just how nice and cozy all that concrete is instead of one on a plane from a mile away. As to tacky, well I'd love hear your feeling about Aura again. :rolleyes:

AoD

To be honest, from that photo AG provided, nothing would really make it cozy - trees lining bremner would certainly help. I do agree with your original idea though. Brick cladding would be tough to pull off (and really expensive) - although I'd prefer it, but I also like your option of going in a an ultra modern direction vs. giving it that old timey feel with brick.

Basically, it needs to be opened up some. Maybe even remove the windows and give it an open air feel. It would solve the humidity issue with grass coming, but you'd need to sacrifice having it climate controlled. Maybe replace the glass with massive sliding windows?

Either way, it needs the update, hopefully they do a good job. Can't believe it's 28 years old already.

You got to be kidding, lets not get tacky here:eek:, do whatever inside but leave the exterior alone
With all the glass down there (and more to come), the Rogers Ctr. exposed concrete is fine and compliments the CN tower very well

Nice photo,... but it just highlights how dull, boring and cold these cement bunkers look.

The entire Rogers SkyDome Centre doesn`t need to be reclad in brick,... must those huge barren cement parts,... and use very red coloured bricks,... red like the Canadian flag. Those horizonal and verticle supports should be recald in white panels,... yes, a very red and white theme,... since Blue Jays are marketed as Canada`s Team. Make everything look like an old time baseball stadium,.... a see-through dome top,.... with a real Canadian maple leaf on top,... not like an Air Canada corporate logo,....

Yes, some may call it tacky,.... but I prefer to call it vibrant!

How is it possible that Rogers SkyDome Centre has all that barren space on the exterior not covered by outdoor JumboTron for the fans,... Probably impossible to open up a side since Canadian Winters are so cold,.... but a JumboTron could give fans a view of whatever is happening inside,.... plus, the constant showing of 1992, 1993 and 2015 World Series Championship highlights,.... ;p

LOL, I was going to mention that the statue of Alomar should depict him spitting in that umpire's face. I was at that game and didn't realize he did that until I was driving home with my dad, listening to the post game show on the radio. Alomar was a great player, but I've always felt he is a jerk, and the spitting incident proved that. I heard a rumour, years ago, that when he played for the Jays, he would invite his dates over to his place (which I believe was in the SkyDome Hotel) and they would watch highlight reels of him. Anyway, I'd much rather see a statue of Joe Carter. Has there ever been a more loved and classy player in franchise history than him? The statue could have him jumping (as he did after his walk off home run in Game 6 of the 1993 World Series) over one of our standard cracked, asphalt patched sidewalks, somewhere near the Dome. That home run is the most notorious moment in the team's history. This image would be perfect in statue form:
Joe-Carter-s-World-Series-homer-toronto-blue-jays-8858791-666-800.jpg

Many would argue that Alomar's home run in Oakland in '92 is more notorious (and the most significant in franchise history) than Carter's, and I'm one that used to be in the Carter camp. Truthfully, as fondly as we look back on Carter's time here in Toronto, the Alomar's, Delgado's, Wells', Bautista's, Bell's, etc surpass him when taken over their tenure here. That's not to say Carter was not a key contributor to the teams he played for and the franchise as a whole, just that sometimes his role tends to be overplayed.

Haha, time for heritage designation:p......afterall it was the first domed stadium in the world to use a retractable roof

Well, this makes me feel better. According to the keychain from the first game, it's only 26 years old.

As for a maple leaf on top of the dome, nope, if they do anything it would be the Blue Jays logo.

Worst case: Rogers effing logo.

Attachments

• IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 466
rogers empire don't know much about tech or constructions and have lousy advisers..lets get ppl with IT and real ppl with skills do get right it also could use some paint not not all some parts of Rc.. and some one mentioned about HRC.. to be knocked and open as the 300 lvl rest its open as standing bar..

Last edited:
More details from the Post:

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...ne-of-many-upgrades-planned-for-aging-stadium

Sounds like they are looking at the possibility of ETFE roofing to me - as an example of what the material can do - see: http://populous.com/project/forsyth-barr-stadium/

Also glad to hear that the awning and exterior landscaping is in the workplan.

AoD

I like that they specified "diffused light". Rather than completely transparent, it could be a frosted white. It would still allow light to get in but the SkyDome would retain its iconic white dome as seen from the outside.

Something else that comes to mind is that they have an opportunity to create a space as vibrant and successful for the Blue Jays as Maple Leaf Square has become for the Leafs and Raptors. The plaza to the west could handle a good sized crowd. Adding a large screen and appropriate landscaping could create a great space for gathering crowds to watch the game.

rRTtop0.jpg

Also, the space in front of the stadium belongs to Rogers. The section on the right is used for loading but could easily support a low rise structure on top. The parking lot to the left has no reason to exist as is. An underground parkade with a public square, park or another low rise building could go here. I believe that the view of the SkyDome from the lake is protected but a 4 story building would leave the dome visible from the waterfront as it is now, obscured behind the Gardiner.

This is of course speculation. I wonder what would be appropriate for these plots.

JS0iQti.jpg

Also, the space in front of the stadium belongs to Rogers. The section on the right is used for loading but could easily support a low rise structure on top. The parking lot to the left has no reason to exist as is. An underground parkade with a public square, park or another low rise building could go here. I believe that the view of the SkyDome from the lake is protected but a 4 story building would leave the dome visible from the waterfront as it is now, obscured behind the Gardiner.

This is of course speculation. I wonder what would be appropriate for these plots.

Actually, the space on the right (loading dock) is a TCHC property and was supposed to become mixed income housing. The project is on hold as TCHC doesn't have the money to build it.

The space on the left was built by Concord Adex as a condition to getting approval to build Harbourview Estates. It's needed for storage and staging for some of the larger events that are hosted at the Dome, so you won't see that going anywhere any time soon.

It has this monumental presence that none of the old-school stadiums can match. I find that concrete buildings tend to look attractive with lots of greenery surrounding them. The exterior has so many ledges where greenery could go. I would definitely open it up and add big glazed sections. Being able to see some of the interior from the street would lessen the sterility of the big concrete walls. It would also make the interior spaces seem less utilitarian.

Back