I can't imagine going to a game, on a nice sunny day, and saying "close the roof". Like, the atmosphere is night and day when the roof is closed. Most fans want the roof open.

While it's likely a new stadium would need a roof of some sorts, it wasn't too long ago that the Blue Jays and Argos played their games outdoors. Fans were able to stick it out.

I've sat outdoors for April ballgames in both Chicago and NYC. Weather wise both were relatively tame, sunny weekend affairs with temperatures in the 10 to 15C range. Even with the sunlight, both were chilly after multiple beverages and sitting for 3+ hours. All northern MLB cities deal with weather related delays to start the season and I would wager the weather puts a damper on attendance numbers, especially if the team is uncompetitive.

If the Jays do decide to incorporate a retractable roof into a new stadium design then by all means go for it. Said roof does not have to be as complex and temperature controlled like the current stadium. The only necessities are to shield fans from the elements and prevent rainouts. Cold weather would still necessitate bundling up even with a covered roof.

I've sat outdoors for April ballgames in both Chicago and NYC. Weather wise both were relatively tame, sunny weekend affairs with temperatures in the 10 to 15C range. Even with the sunlight, both were chilly after multiple beverages and sitting for 3+ hours. All northern MLB cities deal with weather related delays to start the season and I would wager the weather puts a damper on attendance numbers, especially if the team is uncompetitive.

Weather puts a damper on TV rights value too (half of MLB revenue). A predictable schedule is worth far more to a station than an unpredictable one.

I don't think people would have a problem with the weather in an open-air stadium. The Jays played in an open air stadium for nearly 15 years before relocating to SkyDome.

That said, it would be wise for any new stadium to have a retractable roof.

It probably makes the most sense to just stick with the stadium they already have.

I can't imagine going to a game, on a nice sunny day, and saying "close the roof". Like, the atmosphere is night and day when the roof is closed. Most fans want the roof open.

While it's likely a new stadium would need a roof of some sorts, it wasn't too long ago that the Blue Jays and Argos played their games outdoors. Fans were able to stick it out.

The Argos do play their games outside. At BMO field.

I don't think people would have a problem with the weather in an open-air stadium. The Jays played in an open air stadium for nearly 15 years before relocating to SkyDome.

That said, it would be wise for any new stadium to have a retractable roof.

It probably makes the most sense to just stick with the stadium they already have.
That was when prices were more reasonable. I think open air as much as I like it isn’t a great idea.

That was when prices were more reasonable. I think open air as much as I like it isn’t a great idea.

Anyone who has gone to an outdoor game can tell you that the weather makes all the difference. If I am not mistaken, the whole reason they wanted a domed stadium for the Jays was because of all the weather issues at Exhibition Stadium.

The first ever Jays game was played in the snow...

a roof isn't an issue at all if they build an outdoor stadium that can close instead of an indoor stadium that opens (like we have now). that way we have an open air stadium and on rainy days, they just close the lid.

Didn't we already do some for this place?

They've spruced the place up a bit since 2019. New paint jobs, signage and décor in the concourses and spaces outside the stadium. The removal of 100 level OF seating to create a more open concourses actually looks really nice in person. They also added railings and glass paneling to that new OF section similar to what exists in the Flight Deck.

Has Rogers Centre changed their weather protocol for the retractable roof? I was driving by last weekend and saw the roof open despite some stormy clouds in the vicinity. Typically, if there was even the slightest chance of rain they would keep it closed.

a roof isn't an issue at all if they build an outdoor stadium that can close instead of an indoor stadium that opens (like we have now). that way we have an open air stadium and on rainy days, they just close the lid.

Someone has been watching a Night at the Roxbury a little too much....

Has Rogers Centre changed their weather protocol for the retractable roof? I was driving by last weekend and saw the roof open despite some stormy clouds in the vicinity. Typically, if there was even the slightest chance of rain they would keep it closed.

I think it has to do with Covid. The capacity is higher with the roof open.

When the roof is closed, they need to open all the exits for proper ventilation.

Back