I don’t understand Torontonians who say these types of things. Toronto is the third biggest market in North America. Do we still have a self esteem problem?
Perhaps you read this wrong but my comment wasn't a shot at Toronto at all. I just meant bad owners can do bad things.. unless I'm understanding your comment wrong.

Perhaps you read this wrong but my comment wasn't a shot at Toronto at all. I just meant bad owners can do bad things.. unless I'm understanding your comment wrong.
You would have to be crazy to move a team out of Toronto because of the market size. The value of the team would be considered higher simply because of its location. Therefore I don’t see that happening.

Montreal was in a totally different situation. The big O was a big mistake since day one. It constantly needed repairs. It rarely was full. The Montreal market isn’t huge. There was a language barrier. So many obstacles. It’s not comparable to the Toronto situation at all so brining it up makes me think that the person doesn’t see how much of a better situation Toronto is now then Montreal has ever been.

In baseball with no salary cap I would much prefer some rich dude who would just spend and spend on salary then a corporation who wants to put just enough in to look competitive without actually being competitive. I’m not saying Ed is the man but In baseball I can only see the upside of a individual owner versus a company.
I disagree.

Rogers has a vested interested in fielding a winning team. They certainly haven't been shy when it comes to spending.

An individual owner might seem nice on paper, but that can be just as bad (I'd argue even worse in some cases) than a corporate owner that has checks and balances in place.

Update: Looks like the new stadium idea is dead. There will be only a modest $250M spent on renovations.

Update: Looks like the new stadium idea is dead. There will be only a modest $250M spent on renovations.

Populous is a good company that have chosen to re-design the Skydome. I think the re-designed will be good.

Now if only Toronto gets an NFL team and a new stadium either in Downsview Park or Portlands Area

Which means Rogers will be stuck in a stadium they detest for another 40 years.

I was hoping to see them get shot down after begging for public funding. Cowards.
Now if only Toronto gets an NFL team and a new stadium either in Downsview Park or Portlands Area
No one in this town is spending $3 billion for a team + stadium, assuming a team is even available

Controversially, I believe this will be for the best.

LOL. On the same day, the deal in Calgary for their new arena to replace the Saddledome has fallen apart. Again.

And it's for the most Calgary of reasons: money to widen roads to get thousands of cars in and out of the new downtown arena's proposed vast surface parking lots. I mean, how could you build a downtown arena without the parking space for 10,000 F-150 pickup trucks! That's what real cites have!
1640139899858.png

Last edited:

Sounds kind of paltry, honestly.

Which means Rogers will be stuck in a stadium they detest for another 40 years.

I was hoping to see them get shot down after begging for public funding. Cowards.

No one in this town is spending $3 billion for a team + stadium, assuming a team is even available

It will most likely be an expansion NFL Team. NFL will from 32 Teams to 36 Teams. With Toronto, London, San Antonio and St. Louis likely candidate for expansion.

Here are a list of richest Canadians who could potentially do this. I know NFL doesn't do corporate ownership.
1640145983636.png

Back