News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I for one welcome this project. Hear me out:

The "idiot vote" right now is almost entirely going for Ford. This bone-headed plan will hopefully cause some of those people to switch and vote for Rossi, therefore reducing the number of people voting for Ford, giving the rational candidates a better chance at winning.

Smitherman should be sending Rossi a gift basket, because he has just completely undercut Rob Ford's "I'm barely literate" voting base.
I was actually thinking of this too.

If only we could somehow get Thomson ahead in the race. For the candidate which I think at least has by far the best plan for the city, she's painfully low in the polls. It would appear that there's little hope.

I for one welcome this project. Hear me out:

The "idiot vote" right now is almost entirely going for Ford. This bone-headed plan will hopefully cause some of those people to switch and vote for Rossi, therefore reducing the number of people voting for Ford, giving the rational candidates a better chance at winning.

Smitherman should be sending Rossi a gift basket, because he has just completely undercut Rob Ford's "I'm barely literate" voting base.
I admit, it has crossed my mind that Rossi is on some kind of deep undercover backroom Liberal mission to help Smitherman get elected. He's always been a backroom boy, and this perhaps is the ultimate in backroom plans.

The alternative is ... "Michael Ignatieff Liberals" are very very scary people.

I admit, it has crossed my mind that Rossi is on some kind of deep undercover backroom Liberal mission to help Smitherman get elected. He's always been a backroom boy, and this perhaps is the ultimate in backroom plans.

Not quite. There's no doubt that Rossi's proposal is pure crazytown, but I think it's more of a "Hail Mary" move -- a last ditch effort to ignite his campaign. I'll bet that if he doesn't see a sharp upward move in the polls in the next week or so, he'll drop out of the race and throw his suuport to Smitherman in an effort to "heroically" put a halt to Ford's mo'.

Not quite. There's no doubt that Rossi's proposal is pure crazytown, but I think it's more of a "Hail Mary" move -- a last ditch effort to ignite his campaign.
Either way, Jack Layton must be laughing himself silly. The NDP can go into the next federal election, and in Toronto campaign against Ignatieff using the resurrected Spadina Expressway of what Ignatieff Liberal's want to do to Toronto. I think Rossi just re-elected Olivia Chow - and will put some Liberal seats at risk. Maria Minna has been battling strong NDP challengers in Beaches-East York; the NDP can now raise the spectre of the Gardiner Expressway that would have decimated the riding in the next election. Mario Silva will now have to fight the spectre of a Spadina expressway slicing through his riding ... or an extended Black Creek Drive.

This is certainly an entertaining election.

This is certainly possible - Australia has built several urban road tunnels (e.g. the Clem Jones tunnel and under-construction Airport Link in Brisbane) - but would certainly be quite challenging:

- How would this road connect to the Gardiner in the south end? There are so many condo developments around that area, it would be difficult to fit in ramps without demolishing buildings.
- How would intermediate exits be built? If there are to be intermediate exits (e.g. at St. Clair and Bloor), this would require demolishing buildings.
- This would inevitably cause increased traffic congestion on local roads in the vicinity of downtown.
- This would HAVE to be tolled to pay the very high costs of construction (significantly higher than subway) and prevent traffic congestion.

i wonder what ford's response to this is going to be?

also, a real nightmarish situation would be one where all the serious candidates start focusing their campaigns on such an initiative as rossi's because they believe that highway building is the prevailing attitude of toronto voters. we could be launched back to a 60's era mentality of urban planning.

How would this road connect to the Gardiner in the south end? There are so many condo developments around that area, it would be difficult to fit in ramps without demolishing buildings.
A very good question. Rossi said he would make more announcements on the issue would come throughout the week. Perhaps he will bury the Gardiner as well ... and extend it to Pickering. Then the interchange could be entirely underground, and a few off-ramps could easily be squeezed into the existing footprint of the Gardiner. There's a few other places you can slide on- and off-ramps. Queen is very wide between Spadina and Soho, plenty of room for a couple of ramps for example.

Heck, if you pay for the entire thing with future tolls, perhaps it wouldn't even cost anything ... though you'd likely have to give away your first born, to travel the highway ...

OMFG indeed. One of the worst ideas of the campaign. Almost on par with banning immigrants lol. Rossi's proposal will take the city back to the 1970s. WOW!

Maybe this will get people to realize what better things we could do with that kind of money, i.e. bury the Gardiner, complete SOS's plan in its totality, and still have money left to dick around with.

Oh the humanity! (or lack thereof)

...seriously, all the candidates should just give up now and try stand-up comedy, because they seem to be really good at it. At this point I'd rather put up with David Miller for another 4 years, thanks.

Oh the humanity! (or lack thereof)

...seriously, all the candidates should just give up now and try stand-up comedy, because they seem to be really good at it. At this point I'd rather put up with David Miller for another 4 years, thanks.

Lol. +1

It really is that bad; and that sad.

It's interesting ... if his support starts to slide to Rossi, he'll need to be more pro-car ... what expressway can he propose?

a spadina expressway extension to vaughan via a tunnel. the YUS subway extension would be in its median!

p.s, you think ford would ever propose to resurrect the crosstown expressway, seeing how it would plough right through his ward? probably not. the war on cars continues! ;)

Back