8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

yin_yang

Member Bio
Reaction score
I graduated in 2009 but still pay to take out books from the library. It is slightly pathetic how crowded teaching/learning facilities at Ryerson have gotten. They need to raise tuition fees, or McGuinty needs to raise taxes. It is simply impossible for Ryerson to comfortably accommodate 35,000 students without swallowing George Brown College, or building a suburban campus/a skyscraper...

I'm sure many here would welcome a mix-use skyscraper.

1-10: New Ryerson Library
11-20: Lecture Halls
21-30: Administration
31-50: Condominium
51-60: Hotel

Is this really so hard to do? They just fucked up two chances at making Ryerson a decent place to study (Learning Centre/Maple Leaf Gardens) and raising its profile internationally. It really is sad how pathetic and passive our government is.

::Contemplates a move to Korea::

The solution to overcrowding and underfunding at universities in Ontario is self-evident, it's just that government and educators themselves don't want to consider it because it is against their self-interests. Namely, university enrollment should be dropped. Less people should be going to publicly subsidized post-secondary institutions.

That is true. A lot of people do get useless degrees nowadays. Sexual Diversity Studies...what the hell is that? Male and Female. Bachelor's degree over.

The solution to overcrowding and underfunding at universities in Ontario is self-evident, it's just that government and educators themselves don't want to consider it because it is against their self-interests. Namely, university enrollment should be dropped. Less people should be going to publicly subsidized post-secondary institutions.

Or at least capped considering population growth. But that's failing to address crowding at this institution. Problems deserve innovative solutions; simply reducing numbers is merely shifting problems.

yin_yang:

Just what is wrong with the proposed SLC? I mean, is a 60s+ mixed use skyscaper on the Sam site - even ignoring the practicalities of getting it approved on a planning context - the best way to accomodate academic uses? Lecture halls from 11-20? Do you have any idea how inappropriate it is to place them on floors that necessitates elevators for students to access? And just how does plopping condos and hotel on top add to the catchet for the University? A far more appropriate scheme would be to redevelop Kerr Hall and intensify the site, and that's in the Master Plan.

And for the record, Ryerson doesn't have a Sexual Diversities Studies program, University College at U of T does. All that Ryerson has are courses that relates to the area and a page on the library website with related information. The very fact you ranted about the program while displaying complete ignorance on the topic is telling.

AoD

Last edited:
Alvin - True, the Kerr Hall plan is probably the most reasonable. And you're right, classrooms should obviously be 1-10 now that I think about it. The current SLC is okay. It just doesn't solve the problem of overcrowding in the library or the classrooms.

Yea, the Sexual Diversity Studies program at U of T...I lived with a girl that graduated from there and she was a mess.

SLC is supposed to alleviate the issue of overcrowing at the library - and I think the health sciences (nursing) is going to be moving to a new health sciences building, the details to which hasn't been announced yet.

Clearly it's your roommate that is the issue - not the program or its' premise.

AoD

SLC is supposed to alleviate the issue of overcrowing at the library - and I think the health sciences (nursing) is going to be moving to a new health sciences building, the details to which hasn't been announced yet.

Clearly it's your roommate that is the issue - not the program or its' premise.

AoD

Oh yeah? Wow, so RU and GBC are merging!? I haven't seen a new nursing building under construction on Ryerson campus, only on the waterfront GBC one.

Yea, the Sexual Diversity Studies program at U of T...I lived with a girl that graduated from there and she was a mess.

And she will protest against capitalism and camp out at st james park... and wonder why she does not have a job!? lol

Ah yes. The infamous "lets cut back on higher education because you can get a degree in something called sexual diversity studies" argument. Can someone please tell me what percentage of Ontario university budgets goes into maintaining sexual diversity studies programs? I'm guessing it's probably less than 0.001%, which is actually quite low considering that sexuality is closely related to issues like infectious diseases, social movements, teenage suicide, urban culture and tourism, inequality and discrimination, and many, many other things. Not to mention that Richard Florida has shown that the sexual diversity of cities is an indicator of the "creative" potential of cities and their competitiveness in the global economy. So maybe it’s not such a bad thing that a small pocket of academics are doing some research on the topic and offering courses to liberal arts students who may want to get a job where knowledge of issues relating to sexual diversity might come in handy.

And she will protest against capitalism and camp out at st james park... and wonder why she does not have a job!? lol

what? no, she has a job, and is going to get her Ph.D right now. if and when she does protest, it'll be for environmental reasons, because she is sick from pollution and poisoning. isn't that what OWS/OTSE is all about? trying to evolve?

what? no, she has a job, and is going to get her Ph.D right now. if and when she does protest, it'll be for environmental reasons, because she is sick from pollution and poisoning. isn't that what OWS/OTSE is all about? trying to evolve?

Yes, but it's so misdirected.
1.Bay/wallstreet doesn't set environmental standards, they follow them.
2.Education prices - nope that's also government
3.Taxation rates? - Again government.

B/W street just happen to be successful at what they do, with-in the confines of government regulations.

Back