News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

condovo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto's out-of-bounds attractions

Despite the triumph of Doors Open, there are important spaces that are off limits in Toronto – architecture created for the public that is, unfathomably, locked up tight

Aug 09, 2009 04:30 AM
Comments on this story (38)
Christopher Hume

The Sunnyside Bathing Pavilion says as much about the Toronto of today as of yesterday.

Built in the early 1920s, this once-marvellous lakeshore structure speaks of a time when swimming in public still entailed some modesty, not to mention formality. With its fortress-like walls and neo-classical architecture, it evokes a sense of grandeur; swimming here was not simply fun, it was ennobling.

Keep in mind that this was the place where men and women went to change into their bathing costumes, not where they went to swim. It was also a place to enjoy the scenery, read a newspaper and meet friends.

Today, it is a shadow of its former self. Semi-renovated, half-closed, it remains clearly popular. But there's a tackiness to the pavilion now that belies its builders' intentions. On a sunny evening, the café is full of Torontonians enjoying hotdogs and beer. Beach volleyballers fill the space between the building and Lake Ontario.

Look a little more closely, however, and the pavilion reveals itself as a warren of locked doors, chained gates, closed stairwells and unused spaces. Worst of all, what might be the most attractive feature of the complex, the raised balcony level that wraps around the complex, is closed. The bartender at the café explains that it can be rented for weddings, etc., but is not open to the public.

No one's sure why exactly; that's just the way it is. Indeed, that's the way it is in Toronto. Many of the city's most appealing locations are out of bounds, most notably the observation deck at City Hall and the observatory at Commerce Court North (formerly the Canadian Bank of Commerce).

The latter, which opened in 1931, ensured the exuberant Art Deco bank tower was one of Toronto's most beloved pieces of architecture. In addition to being the Tallest Building in the British Empire, it gave visitors views of the city that had never been seen before. The deck, a relatively small, four-sided space, is embellished with 16 enormous carved heads, guardian deities facing north, south, east and west. Visitors would walk through openings cut into these figures.

Needless to say, the deck has been off limits for decades. According to Commerce Court marketing and communications manager, Mary Gowan, safety is the reason.

"The deck has been closed since the '60s," she explains. "It's a safety issue at this point. We are unable to make certain alterations. It would have to be enclosed. It just wouldn't fly today."

The reason these alterations can't be made, Gowan says, lies in the fact the tower is a designated historical building.

However, that's not entirely correct. Though Commerce Court North was designated by City Council in 1991, the rules allow changes as long as they don't damage or detract visually from the building.

It's hard to believe that in the 21st century there aren't ways to bring the deck up to modern safety standards – whatever they may be – without defacing or destroying it.

The case of the New City Hall observation deck is even more irksome; after all, this is the heart of Toronto, the seat of civic democracy, a building that belongs to all of us and where we should all feel a sense of belonging.

With the deck closed, the message is clear; you're welcome here if you want to pay your taxes, get a dog licence, secure a building permit and so on. But to go to experience the building, the great architectural expression of who we are, is no longer possible.

"It's been closed for more than 20 years," says city spokesperson Cindy Bromley, "for health and safety issues. The criteria around that has changed a little since the building was built. You access the deck by going to the 25th floor and then walking up two flights of stairs. So that's an issue just for accessibility, and then when you're there there are several open areas that would also be health and safety issues if the general public was up there."

No wonder we so often feel strangers in our own hometown, or as if we're incapable of being trusted even to the extent of visiting an observation deck.

By comparison, the 1931 Empire State Building in New York has two observatories, both of which remain open. Indeed, they are said to have received 110 million visitors over the decades, making the building one of that city's most popular tourist attractions.

In Toronto, the overwhelming success of Doors Open, which drew 250,000 people one weekend last May, shows just how hungry we are for things architectural.

The safety tyrants have held sway in this and other cities for decades, however, and their efforts, no matter how excessive, are enshrined in law and practice. And so it's easier at this point just to close the door and hope everyone forgets what they're missing.

But the cumulative effect of these decisions is a critical mass of indifference that has come to characterize urban life. We move through a city that is slowly becoming an alien landscape, a place we live in but aren't allowed to inhabit fully – for our own good. We'll never know how many accidents have been avoided over the decades, of course; there's no point in asking

Do not seek, and ye shall not find.

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/678433

Wow that's a great article! And it really is too bad that so much is off limits to the public.
I understand that things need to be accessible, but does everything have to be?
I think it's time that these off limits areas were brought back to the public.

Wow that's a great article! And it really is too bad that so much is off limits to the public.
I understand that things need to be accessible, but does everything have to be?
I think it's time that these off limits areas were brought back to the public.

The case of the New City Hall observation deck is even more irksome; after all, this is the heart of Toronto, the seat of civic democracy, a building that belongs to all of us and where we should all feel a sense of belonging.

With the deck closed, the message is clear; you're welcome here if you want to pay your taxes, get a dog licence, secure a building permit and so on. But to go to experience the building, the great architectural expression of who we are, is no longer possible.

"It's been closed for more than 20 years," says city spokesperson Cindy Bromley, "for health and safety issues. The criteria around that has changed a little since the building was built. You access the deck by going to the 25th floor and then walking up two flights of stairs. So that's an issue just for accessibility, and then when you're there there are several open areas that would also be health and safety issues if the general public was up there."

No wonder we so often feel strangers in our own hometown, or as if we're incapable of being trusted even to the extent of visiting an observation deck.

sure, blame it on the cripples! (not talking about you khristopher)

the logic is that since the observation deck is not wheelchair accessible, therefore nobody should use it.

how many subway stations are inaccessible to wheelchairs? lots. is this reason to close down those subway stations to everybody? have all the non accessible bus routes been canceled for everyone until they become accessible?

saying something is closed to everyone due to accessibility issues, in part or wholly, makes people build up negative attitudes toward the disabled.

sure, blame it on the cripples! (not talking about you khristopher)

the logic is that since the observation deck is not wheelchair accessible, therefore nobody should use it.

how many subway stations are inaccessible to wheelchairs? lots. is this reason to close down those subway stations to everybody? have all the non accessible bus routes been canceled for everyone until they become accessible?

saying something is closed to everyone due to accessibility issues, in part or wholly, makes people build up negative attitudes toward the disabled.

At least City Hall's deck is open for Doors Open.

Well said. There's a case for accommodation where possible, or acceptable alternatives. The Uptown's closure was due to the demand by the Human Rights Tribunal to make the theatre accessible, so instead of paying huge bucks to do it, it got closed instead, though the Varsity, an accessible venue, is right next door.

The TTC has a plan for elevator installations, which will eventually see the entire subway accessible. The addition of additional elevators each year means that there's many more options open; the low floor buses, while a pain when overcrowded (lost capacity and all that), at least open up the system to more people and are easy to implement, just like the new streetcars (the silly thing was they wanted a 100% low floor, not a 70% low floor off-the-shelf model which screwed up that order).

That said, there needs to be laws and codes that minimize any barriers whenever possible, particuarly new buildings and renovations.

My hunch is that accessibility is a red herring. Imagine opening up the observation deck at City Hall, then reading the paper one morning to find out it was used for a suicide.

We clearly don't want people jumping off bridges, but at least the remains of jumpers don't have yellow crime scene tape draped around part of city hall every couple of weeks.

My hunch is that accessibility is a red herring. Imagine opening up the observation deck at City Hall, then reading the paper one morning to find out it was used for a suicide.

We clearly don't want people jumping off bridges, but at least the remains of jumpers don't have yellow crime scene tape draped around part of city hall every couple of weeks.

Yeah. I'm sure *liability*, not accessibility, is the real reason for these closures.

Closing sites to the public and the reasons...

Everyone: That was a really interesting article-I never got to the top of Toronto's City Hall and the original CIBC building was long off limits when I traveled to Toronto for the first time in 1979.

I remember how I used to seek out buildings to go to the top of when I visited a city for the first time - I recall visiting Buffalo in that same year getting an employee at the Marine Midland Bank(now HSBC)Building to take me and let me look out one of the top floors-it was not open to the public - before I discovered the free observatory at City Hall.

In recent years many publicly-accessible sites that I know like this here in the US have closed due to "Security and 9/11 reasons" like a friend of mine was told when he visited Pittsburgh after I told him about the good view from the top of the USX(US Steel)Building back in 2007.

Those excuses have been used to close places that some deem vulnerable
from public access but I also feel by playing into those fears that those
so-and-so's have won here.

Thoughts and opinion by LI MIKE

Can you even commit suicide from the City Hall deck? Looks very secure to me.

832238055_3b1542a106_o.jpg

Thanks to LI Mike for bringing up the Buffalo City Hall observation deck. Like Toronto City Hall, that one is not wheelchair accessible (climbing some stairs is required to get to it, and the outdoor deck is too tight for wheelchairs), and probably feels just like the one at Commerce Court North. However that has not stopped it from staying open.

1572804385_97ecd16c3c_o.jpg

1573672096_b989c1ae73_o.jpg

The City Hall Deck is wheelchair accessible. You get off the 25th floor and go down the hall to another elevator that goes up the last two floors. I went up to the deck with my daughter's stroller during doors open.

The City Hall Deck is wheelchair accessible. You get off the 25th floor and go down the hall to another elevator that goes up the last two floors. I went up to the deck with my daughter's stroller during doors open.

why did the city spokesperson say this?:

I imagine they have a few reasons for keeping it closed. First its not a direct elevator ride up. You have to go down the hall and then access the second elevator on a floor that has offices. Can't see them wanting to have tourists walking through during business hours.

And, even walking, you have to use the fire escape stairs to get up there so not the most ideal situation.

I am a firm hater of excessive safety regulations and "nanny states". I really enjoyed this article, Hume is dead on. I'm scared of the future; with the way things are heading, we won't even be able to walk in public without some sort of walking license. I mean, what if I'm walking quickly and barrel into someone with a stroller rounding a corner too quickly? Golly.

I'm not suggesting that we (in general) turn a blind eye to safety and so forth, but rather quit treating citizens, and visitors, like a bunch of idiotic children. Besides, I really want to visit the top of CC North in my lifetime, so they'd better do something.

Yeah reminded me of that 1950's era show Mad Men, where the young girl has a plastic bag over her head and her mom yells over her for making a mess by emptying the bag.

The world has changed a lot.

I had cousins over from California and my God they were freaking out with me going 90 km on highway 10 near Highway 89.

Yeah reminded me of that 1950's era show Mad Men, where the young girl has a plastic bag over her head and her mom yells over her for making a mess by emptying the bag.

The world has changed a lot.

I had cousins over from California and my God they were freaking out with me going 90 km on highway 10 near Highway 89.

Freaking out as in you were going too slowly, or too quickly?

Back