8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

ganjavih

Member Bio
Reaction score
I just got back from a neuroscience conference in San Diego. I don't have much to say about the conference because I really went to shop and sightsee. I apologise for the lousy weather... and the pics don't convey how yummy the guacamole is in Tijuana, but here they are anyway...

Our lovely hotel...
DSC06023.jpg

We got around mostly by trolley which was very convenient and reasonably priced. Here are some pics from the trolley trip heading downtown.

DSC06025.jpg

DSC05988.jpg

DSC05990.jpg

DSC05991.jpg

DSC05995.jpg

DSC06026.jpg

DSC06027.jpg

DSC06029.jpg

DSC06030.jpg

DSC06031.jpg

DSC06034.jpg

DSC06035.jpg

DSC06036.jpg

DSC06037.jpg

I insisted on spending some time in Tijuana as I am a lover of urban grit and TJ (as Californians like to call it) has plenty of it.

Here's the trolley at the border:

DSC06002.jpg

DSC05997.jpg

It felt like Mexico even before we crossed the border.

DSC05996.jpg

DSC06006.jpg

As you walk across the unmanned border to Mexico, you get a nice aerial of Tijuana.

DSC06005.jpg

DSC06008.jpg

Welcome to Tijuana. Plenty of pharmacies selling Prozac, Wellbutrin, Ampicillin, and lots of other goodies. Most of the following pics are from Revolution Ave, Tijuana's main downtown street.

DSC06011.jpg

DSC06013.jpg

DSC06015.jpg

DSC06016.jpg

DSC06017.jpg

DSC06018.jpg

DSC06019.jpg

My souvenir from Mexico: a nice Talavera mirror to go with my Moroccan lantern.

DSC06039.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

Interesting shots ganjavih.

Not like my boring photos of Balboa Park and San Diego Zoo.

You must have been aware of the problem inherent in driving a motor car down to TJ. Everytime you come to a stop sign, you expose yourself to the dirty water splashed on your windscreen, and a squeegie that appears to have never been cleaned, swished over a few times in order to get some of your spare change.

A lousy weather day there is not so bad when you compare the alternative at this time of year.

Ganjavih:

Did you say that the foot crossing to TJ is unmanned? How far in did you venture? I would imagine that the US side would be manned - how easy/hard was it to get back?

San Diego does look like an interesting place. How was the light rail?

San Diego (and Tijuana) pics-Not bad!

Ganjavih: Good pics from SD and TJ! I also would like to know how you fared at the border coming back into the USA. I remember going to El Paso/Juarez in 1987-the border was unmanned going S - I remember you are entering the Fronteriza(if you go further S into the interior after leaving the City you go
into a checkpoint and go thru entry formalities) but going back N into the USA I recall being stopped by the Texas ABC-I had a large unopened bottle of Corona beer among other souvenirs that I had to pay Texas tax on. I remember no problem returning thru US Customs/Immigration other than that.

I remember that San Diego area youths regularly go to Tijuana to drink-The Mexican side has an 18 year old drinking age. The problems arise when they return intoxicated to the US. i have seen news reports about this and the problems that result from going to Mexico to inbibe. With the US border crackdown I wonder how things will go there....LI MIKE

Back