8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Earlier in the year I posted photos of Teeple Architects' new Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church building at Kennedy and McNicoll covered in snow. Here are some photos of SCBC that I took today.

http://www.teeplearch.com/

http://cbmin.org/scbc/

P1080865.jpg

P1080866.jpg

P1080867.jpg

P1080868.jpg

P1080869.jpg

P1080870.jpg

P1080871.jpg

P1080872.jpg

P1080873.jpg

P1080875.jpg

P1080876.jpg

P1080877.jpg

P1080878.jpg

P1080879.jpg

SCBC has some pretty nice night lighting. Unfortunately they weren't on this evening, so I wasn't able to take any photos of it lit up. There is a photo at the Teeple website with the night lighting, but in real life it looks more impressive than that.

Nice to see that Teeple insists on tonal consistency in cladding even if Libeskind doesn't.

Are you going back some time to get interior shots, wylie?

Too bad they couldnt have hid the drainage pipes better. They look horrible in their current position. Do you know if they are still doing some finishing touches to the building, which would include boxing those pipes in to hide them?

Such a clever combination of a barn and a '50s era junior high school.

Ouch!

/tend to agree, though :(

must have been designed by an atheist ;)

The building is still not 100% complete, as you might be able to see from the photo with the cones on the driveway, the incomplete landscaping, and the unswept floor.

The interior is not yet open, and I really hope they will cover the drainage pipes at the entrance canopies.

I usually like Teeple, but this is just awful. Thankfully it's in Scarborough where nobody will see this pile of scrap metal garbage.

It looks industrial, perhaps an acknowledgement of the north Scarboroguh neighbourhood which has some industrial development, not always of the most attractive variety. I hope that the exterior might be offset by a more attractive interior.

Then again, as simply Dan points out, no one lives there anyway, so no need to worry about it! :D

What a pile of junk, though it's the souls inside and their work that make a church great, not the edifice.

That said, I understand that the expertise, low labour cost and funding utilized to make the great churches of old is not readily available today, but surely they could do better.

Here's my church where I attend most Sundays... http://ca.geocities.com/stpeter@rogers.com/ A fine old church, with an excellent food bank program and assisted housing plan (yes Andrea, I do have a heart), where Henry Pellat's (sp?) father worshiped in his day. Again, it's not the church though, but the souls within.

What a pile of junk, though it's the souls inside and their work that make a church great, not the edifice.

I can't speak for Baptists, but Catholic parishes are always preoccupied with their church, the gardens, the parking lot, the taxes, renovations, "building fund collections," etc.

Back